16 yo struggling with SO and pop ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
what I see:
a. her hands are too low at contact
b. Her bat is pointed at the ground just after contact - not good ( see pict)
c. After that, her bat is pointed at the third base dugout - not good

when i see this with my daughter, they tell me it is because they are early And reaching/lunging to the ball. I tell them they are not drying their rear elbow into the slot early enough. (Of course, I cant see their timing from the front)

IMHO, your daughter is swinging across the front of her body (maybe you see this too). I like what teacherman does about this, the bat needs to push away from her neck and stay in,one with her shoulders as it swings through an arc that points to the catcher, through the ball, points to the pitchers head, and then finish high. Some drills that could help:
- pvc pipe held across the shoulders, rotate the body to the point of contact with the ball on a tee
- start with the bat on the shoulder and slide the bat off the shoulders just before contact
- on the tee, work on swinging up through the ball to induce fly balls ( you can’t swing up and have the bat travel across the front of the body)

Attachments

• B0CB6067-275C-4B0B-AFD6-1BDA513B23B3.jpeg
    B0CB6067-275C-4B0B-AFD6-1BDA513B23B3.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 11

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Noticing her front hip goes up and back prior to the front heel plant. This may be creating issues with sequence and posture as her bat head is normally still going down at contact. Heel plant should start the hips forward?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I see the hands working late. Pushing the hands/bat ahead of the back leg. Trying to time applying force into the ball at contact. The forces should be applied at the handle from the start. Mankin would say the rest is on auto pilot, if you initiate the swing correctly.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802