Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Englishbey, where many of us started, believes/teaches the swing axis is about the front leg. I disagree.
C_BmNEIUMAAGlp9.jpg

Do you know what SE teaches now? I know I don't. He has made significant changes in the presentation of this thoughts and I am not privy to those.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Hands along for the ride......I disagree....
tumblr_os0vcvvO4W1usf292o1_400.gif

Not that same as HI.
Don't forget PCR plus Hook......

Please explain what SE meant by his statement that the "hands were along for the ride."

Gosh I almost got sucked in. Steve meant that the hands can not move themselves through space. They can only hold the bat. Wrist, forearms, arms, core, body in general have to help move the hands through space.

Hey you guys have a good time arguing this stuff.

Take care,

Darrell

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
First of all, it was a "posse" and not lemmings. LOL I was not one of those and SE made that point once. If you know what was taught on SE's private site and have access to all of the quotes from his old website, you could see some of the things that influenced TM. (Read comment in an earlier post here about the shoulders and hands relationship. I don't care to look it up but laughed when I read it.) I've posted several times that SE did influence some of what my dd learned. While the suggestion is and has been that she does not have a HL swing, I'll take her career results any day. However, I also pointed out that others had a huge influence as well. SE posted once on his website that my dd had not mastered what was his opinion of the type of swing he taught. Finally, PCR was never a hitting system. Nyman pointed that a zillion times.

I hope I answered your questions.

Take care,

Darrell

First off it was Lemmings. That's what Howard Carriers followers were called. I don't know anything about the ''posse'' and have never heard of that phrase before. Also the point was TM has been teaching something different that hasn't been taught on this site or any other site. I was pointing out that what he has been trying to teach had/has been disputed on this site and BBD for years. I was glad that you now agree with his teachings and we are on the same page. For the record I haven't mentioned your DD nor was she included mechanics wise in this converstaion. If she had/has can you please point out where I mentioned your DD or any of your students. You may be mixing me up with the other posters responding to this thread.
You take care also and I hope I answered your questions
Bass

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First off it was Lemmings. That's what Howard Carriers followers were called. I don't know anything about the ''posse'' and have never heard that. Also the point was TM has been teaching something different that hasn't been taught on this site or any other site. I was pointing out that what he has been trying to teach had/has been disputed on this site and BBD for years. I was glad that you now agree with his teachings and we are on the same page.
You take care also and I hope I answered your questions
Bass

RD, I have never been to TM's site nor read one word of what he teaches other than what some of you post once in a while here. In fact, I coach what I have always coached with a few tweeks here and there. I learned those things starting with Mankin's site. I listen to BBscout's ideas. I learned some from BM. I was on SE's private site for a while. I have Epstein's stuff. I have corresponded with Yeager but have not purchased his stuff. I liked Hudgen's heel toe analogy and use it. I have some Peavy stuff I use. I think you just made my point. LOL

Edited to add:

I apologize about the Lemming stuff. Your post on Lemmings was posted around the SE posts and so I incorrectly thought you were referencing them.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RD, I have never been to TM's site nor read one word of what he teaches other than what some of you post once in a while here. In fact, I coach what I have always coached with a few tweeks here and there. I learned those things starting with Mankin's site. I listen to BBscout's ideas. I learned some from BM. I was on SE's private site for a while. I have Epstein's stuff. I have corresponded with Yeager but have not purchased his stuff. I liked Hudgen's heel toe analogy and use it. I have some Peavy stuff I use. I think you just made my point. LOL

Edited to add:

I apologize about the Lemming stuff. Your post on Lemmings was posted around the SE posts and so I incorrectly thought you were referencing them.

I was responding to this post. and mainly the bold:
This is an interesting thread with a lot of revisionist history statements. Hand pivot points, and role of getting the knob turned to the ball and delivering the barrel while the hands are still back and riding connection, ... all are reminisant of so many who argued in the various hitting wars/discussions. Some of you know this and I think FFS pointed out that some of these various comments were in play by people like BM so long ago.

jbryan, you stated your dd's swing is the product of TM's teaching and that he is the best out there for swing instruction. If that is true, he is teaching so many things he attacked over the years if your dd's swing is indicative of what he teaches. I do think your dd has a good swing but I see elements of so many other instructors and noticed right away the relationship your dd creates with her knees.

I've been doing a lot of instruction this summer and a couple of things I've really focused on are the knob of the bat and the back knee/hip relationship. Per the knob, I outlined last fall on here a drill I have been doing using Donny Buster's "Stay Back Tee" where the hitter orientates the knob of the bat at the ball while the hands are tipping and ripping. At the same time, the back knee's first move is made with the idea of down toward the front ankle. That back hip then has to respond to that back knee's action. Imagine a hard check if this isn't making sense. While this first move in this drill doesn't have the knob at the nose, the knob is high and the barrel is starting to unload. From this, I really like the cue point the knob and deliver the barrel. (Note I don't want a hitter to throw the knob at the ball. That would result in a push swing IMO.)

I read this whole thread and realized I have read this thread countless times over the past 15 years. I started laughing at some of the comments. Same verse different minions. I am betting one or two of you did the same. LOL Good luck to all of you.
Like you have never been to HI web site or blog. I have never been to any of the above sites or hitting instructors. I do have a Epstein CD. So, I think that may be we can agree that the HL absolutes are being taught by others and 'we' think it's funny that others are just realizing it and it's new to 'them'. I included myself in the 'we' and the 'them'. Is that fair?

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for answering CB. I agree with a lot of what you said but I am a big believer in video. To me that's the only way you can really know if you are matching the greats.

As for the not posting video part, it's tough for me to consider someone a guru if they refuse to show themselves or their work. What other area in life can someone be considered a guru or master without showing a final product?

Right now TM is responsible for probably the greatest turn around story in major league baseball. I have a strong feeling over the next couple years the SnF technique is going to be mainstream.......

P.S. - I'm no master, I continue to learn every day. Video is a HUGE part of the equation.....But I do feel that the technique I am learning/teaching is special.....

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I'm note mad at julray for calling me names. I understand it as a dad who thought he knew the swing and how it's 'supposed' to be taught only to find out he don't. Also finding out that he wasted his DD's time with his teachings. So, I believe he's more mad at himself and is taken out on me. I'm a big boy I can take it. Hopefully he will read and get to work soon on rebuilding his DD's swing. No time to waste.

I placed a video of my daughter on this site because I needed help. I did not post it in the bragging section of this site or claim it was "Dead on". So I'm not really sure what you are getting at. Personally, I don't have much time for arrogant smart rear responses. I understand it might be a source of entertainment for you, but please feel free to refrain from my inquiries.

May 12, 2016
We had 30 minutes today to spend working on her swing.. Long way to go yet, but I believe we made some real progress in comparison to the first video I posted. Sorry for the bad quality

[video]https://youtu.be/kOyumOTfDu8[/video]

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish