Help with stepping out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
It could be a couple different things that is causing it. One could be she feels rushed. Instead of a nice controlled move. One way to try this out is start earlier which forces the hitter to slow down a bit, "Slow and early". Do these controlled strides Dry, then off of tee, then front toss. Another way that might seem counter intuitive is attach a resistance band around her ankle so that it is pulling on her foot out even while in her stance. When she moves she will feel that pulling her foot out. Then reset and give the cue not to let the band pull her foot out. Is what this is doing is activating the proper muscle group to then step the proper direction. Just a idea

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This is a problem that needs fixing asap. Not sure of her age but you really want to fix it now. Cinder blocks behind front foot placed where she simply cannot step into the bucket. Off the tee, front toss everyday.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This is a problem that needs fixing asap. Not sure of her age but you really want to fix it now. Cinder blocks behind front foot placed where she simply cannot step into the bucket. Off the tee, front toss everyday.

Without seeing it, I'd be worried the cinder blocks could cause injury. I like the idea (and I have someone I want to try this with), but is it safe?

Jun 20, 2015
the point is to break her of the habit of incorrect stepping location, make it impossible for her to step there. by putting a block, bucket, etc, there, it will prevent the front foot from going in that direction. Re-learn muscle memory for correct step direction.

Start with T-work, and repeat up to front toss.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She needs some radical change. She (along with most kids) does not know how to stride. For her, the stride and swing are one thing, when they are two separate events. [The 2x4/bucket trick won't 'fix' it, since you dont have to coil to do this, and you will end up hitting weak grounders]

Do dry strides at home in front of a mirror, for the rest of your career.
1. Pick up the front knee (do not hike the front hip up) to belt level and fall onto a very bent front knee.
2. Coil the shoulder and hip INWARD 45 degrees and hold it until landing [don't crimp or feel the back hip or any of those things - simply rotate the torso as you go forward]
2. Pull back the rear elbow like a bow, and land with the rear forearm flat/level, and the bat pointed up abt 55 deg.
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

You can learn this in a few days, for free, and be better than most kids.

Then, in cages and games, begin the stride on EVERY pitch (maybe when the pitcher has the ball at the 12 oclock position), and land when the ball is halfway.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles