Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I do not agree. And I just checked his site out and the guys a total creep! He may know how the swing works but dumping barrels and falling over on one leg is not a good progressive path to get there.He doesn't account for athletic ability. He has predicted failures of many players and is wrong. His coil is a lift and coil rearward. He doesn't believe you coil forward. Good.luck jryan. Hopefully you can avoid his nasty disposition!

No need to bring back the disparaging remarks to this thread. Argue his methods and pick apart his students is fair. Name calling isn't necessary and derails the discussion.

Here is a clip of my DD executing HI concepts. Is it perfect, no. Is it quick and adjustable, most definitely.

032416%20-%20%20Baily%20hitting4.gif

Jun 8, 2016
julray, I would be on board with you getting another account, putting your DD in a Groucho Marx mask and starting another thread...:p

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks M8, I've seen that one and plan to add it to our training. I think you know what I mean when I say it's hard enforce this in a swing.. I have trouble with it myself. I think it was EricF who said he stands behind his daughter and holds her should so she can get the feel of resistance between upper and lower

If you look at the video Stone gives some examples of when you are not doing it correctly so should be able to work off of that. It appears that some here don't agree with some of the terminology he uses
but everybody doesn't have to agree....:D

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
If you look at the video Stone gives some examples of when you are not doing it correctly so should be able to work off of that. It appears that some here don't agree with some of the terminology he uses
but everybody doesn't have to agree....:D

I'm still working through it, but the Stone video is wrong. You should not be manually pushing your rear hip into the swing. I get that he is working on resistance, but it is not good to teach hitters to manually activate the rear leg or hip in that way.

May 3, 2014
What I saw was some excessively high lead-arm jutting like action which for many would create a blocking type action. Please explain the benefit of this. Was that purely intended as a drill, and if so, what action was meant to be extracted and carried forward into one's game-swing?

I have no problem swinging with this cue nor do the hitters that try it out. I don't even mention the front elbow. I just tell them to turn the knob up to their nose as quickly as possible and let the magic happen. Now, if you looking for a swing where a hitter actually hits their nose with the knob of the bat then you are going to be disappointed.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm still working through it, but the Stone video is wrong. You should not be manually pushing your rear hip into the swing. I get that he is working on resistance, but it is not good to teach hitters to manually activate the rear leg or hip in that way.

Yes I don't think he explains the mechanism for how hips are rotated very well. If you look at around 5:45 in the video the proper rear leg action which he demonstrates seems to be inline with
your previous comment regarding how hips are turned with rear leg.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is an interesting thread with a lot of revisionist history statements. Hand pivot points, and role of getting the knob turned to the ball and delivering the barrel while the hands are still back and riding connection, ... all are reminisant of so many who argued in the various hitting wars/discussions. Some of you know this and I think FFS pointed out that some of these various comments were in play by people like BM so long ago.

jbryan, you stated your dd's swing is the product of TM's teaching and that he is the best out there for swing instruction. If that is true, he is teaching so many things he attacked over the years if your dd's swing is indicative of what he teaches. I do think your dd has a good swing but I see elements of so many other instructors and noticed right away the relationship your dd creates with her knees.

I've been doing a lot of instruction this summer and a couple of things I've really focused on are the knob of the bat and the back knee/hip relationship. Per the knob, I outlined last fall on here a drill I have been doing using Donny Buster's "Stay Back Tee" where the hitter orientates the knob of the bat at the ball while the hands are tipping and ripping. At the same time, the back knee's first move is made with the idea of down toward the front ankle. That back hip then has to respond to that back knee's action. Imagine a hard check if this isn't making sense. While this first move in this drill doesn't have the knob at the nose, the knob is high and the barrel is starting to unload. From this, I really like the cue point the knob and deliver the barrel. (Note I don't want a hitter to throw the knob at the ball. That would result in a push swing IMO.)

I read this whole thread and realized I have read this thread countless times over the past 15 years. I started laughing at some of the comments. Same verse different minions. I am betting one or two of you did the same. LOL Good luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
This is an interesting thread with a lot of revisionist history statements. Hand pivot points, and role of getting the knob turned to the ball and delivering the barrel while the hands are still back and riding connection, ... all are reminisant of so many who argued in the various hitting wars/discussions. Some of you know this and I think FFS pointed out that some of these various comments were in play by people like BM so long ago.

jbryan, you stated your dd's swing is the product of TM's teaching and that he is the best out there for swing instruction. If that is true, he is teaching so many things he attacked over the years if your dd's swing is indicative of what he teaches. I do think your dd has a good swing but I see elements of so many other instructors and noticed right away the relationship your dd creates with her knees.

I've been doing a lot of instruction this summer and a couple of things I've really focused on are the knob of the bat and the back knee/hip relationship. Per the knob, I outlined last fall on here a drill I have been doing using Donny Buster's "Stay Back Tee" where the hitter orientates the knob of the bat at the ball while the hands are tipping and ripping. At the same time, the back knee's first move is made with the idea of down toward the front ankle. That back hip then has to respond to that back knee's action. Imagine a hard check if this isn't making sense. While this first move in this drill doesn't have the knob at the nose, the knob is high and the barrel is starting to unload. From this, I really like the cue point the knob and deliver the barrel. (Note I don't want a hitter to throw the knob at the ball. That would result in a push swing IMO.)

I read this whole thread and realized I have read this thread countless times over the past 15 years. I started laughing at some of the comments. Same verse different minions. I am betting one or two of you did the same. LOL Good luck to all of you.

CB,

Honest question, not baiting you or trying to start a fight. I have read almost all of the old threads on here, BBD, and some other sites that are escaping my mind at the time. From time to time people who were active at that time make comments like you did, that you have lived through this before. My question to you is what about this teaching do you believe is incomplete and what teaching out there is superior to this? On BBD a few posters make this claim but cannot provide a complete teaching. They mostly dodge questions and have an awfully tough time conveying their message (Not saying you are doing this). They also will NEVER post a video of themselves or their students attempting to match the high level pattern. From reading through old threads I know you are not a fan of TM. My question is solely on the content......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck