Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Some of the elbo talk i did not like, i think teaching elbo jut is a teach that should be left alone in most cases and can promote a real bad upper cut swing.

I dont particularly like his balance at all in his demo swings, he gives himself a bit to much credit for having a perfect swing imo

A lot of swings he takes when discussing against shift-then-swing will tend to have a bias to the rear leg, but it is more for context of demonstrating than to say his swing is perfect. Also FWIW, he's no spring chicken anymore, that will have an effect too ;). IMO HI trained hitters come closer to a frame-by-frame match of the pros than any hitting system that I've ever seen.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
A lot of swings he takes when discussing against shift-then-swing will tend to have a bias to the rear leg, but it is more for context of demonstrating than to say his swing is perfect. Also FWIW, he's no spring chicken anymore, that will have an effect too ;). IMO HI trained hitters come closer to a frame-by-frame match of the pros than any hitting system that I've ever seen.

Plus TM is having his hitters exaggerate the jut of the lead elbow. He say it a couple of times during the video. A hitter first needs the feel of the 'Ferris wheel'.

May 12, 2016
I'm sorry you don't like the answer to your question. I also knew your panties would get all twisted with my answer.
I know you like causing chaos.. hence why you answered my question that way in the first place instead of elaborating like you did below.

I'm also sorry that you're to lazy to read through the threads.
Sorry, I don't think so. Content is filled with your BS so reading through it is quite taxing... #convoluted

I'll say it again the SCAP isn't loaded. If something gets loaded then it must get unloaded. A good hitter will clamp, pinch, keep pulling back...the scap.
This would of been helpful the first time around...thank you

And it was a serious answer even though you don't understand the answer. Not my fault.
No it was a probe, an instigation like you mentioned above. Congrats, you caught me again.

And keep calling me names....mate.
I thought you were the self proclaimed superstar.. my bad.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I have a question about scap load... when does it occur? Do you load your scap as the back hip starts to rotate to aid in upper body resistance... or would that create too much upper body resistance and a disjointed swing?

The scap is part of the resistance and part of the pull backs that control your weight while you are moving out (just because you are moving forward doesn't mean your shifting your weight).

For most kids, when we see there rear elbow pullback, it is an arms move. *I think* for most pros, when we see the rear elbow pullback, it is a scap move.

2nd Question, any good drills for emphasizing resisting rotating the upper body as the back hip starts to rotate? I mean I can explain it to my daughter in theory.. but we need something practical to drive it home

Thanks

The happy gilmore drill that TM discusses in the video are great.

RyanHappyGilmore.gif

*stupid http/https issue...

IMO here are some key knowledge points that might help you and DD:
1. The shoulders don't rotate, they get rotated
2. The hips don't rotate, they get rotated
3. The barrel is turned and not pulled, the hip (via the rear leg) will do the turn her body through
4. As soon as you start to pull the barrel across your body, you are pretty much dead and out of the pattern at that point
5. As TM discusses, think of the barrel as a pinwheel motion while the hip/rear leg will add a merry-go-round motion
A. When the arms start pulling the knob, they are taking over the job of the merry-go-round​
6. To not need to pull the barrel, your hips need to turn your body through the zone
A. Proper coil is essential
B. Turning the barrel from a deep position is critical in order for the back/scap to work with the hip to IR the rear leg​
7. Practice hitting everything opposite field. Get stupid with it and try and hit line drives into the opposite side dugout. Let the ball get that deep.

Lastly, watch HI clip a lot, there is a lifetime of knowledge in there. It is a literal gold mine of hitting info. There is nothing in that video that will steer you off path. Picking and choosing what you listen to is not necessary and doing so will likely get you off the path.

Thanks to TM for agreeing to share the video publicly.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
The scap is part of the resistance and part of the pull backs that control your weight while you are moving out (just because you are moving forward doesn't mean your shifting your weight).

For most kids, when we see there rear elbow pullback, it is an arms move. *I think* for most pros, when we see the rear elbow pullback, it is a scap move.

The happy gilmore drill that TM discusses in the video are great.

RyanHappyGilmore.gif

*stupid http/https issue...

IMO here are some key knowledge points that might help you and DD:
1. The shoulders don't rotate, they get rotated
2. The hips don't rotate, they get rotated
3. The barrel is turned and not pulled, the hip (via the rear leg) will do the turn her body through
4. As soon as you start to pull the barrel across your body, you are pretty much dead and out of the pattern at that point
5. As TM discusses, think of the barrel as a pinwheel motion while the hip/rear leg will add a merry-go-round motion
A. When the arms start pulling the knob, they are taking over the job of the merry-go-round​
6. To not need to pull the barrel, your hips need to turn your body through the zone
A. Proper coil is essential
B. Turning the barrel from a deep position is critical in order for the back/scap to work with the hip to IR the rear leg​
7. Practice hitting everything opposite field. Get stupid with it and try and hit line drives into the opposite side dugout. Let the ball get that deep.

Lastly, watch HI clip a lot, there is a lifetime of knowledge in there. It is a literal gold mine of hitting info. There is nothing in that video that will steer you off path. Picking and choosing what you listen to is not necessary and doing so will likely get you off the path.

Thanks to TM for agreeing to share the video publicly.

Thanks Jyran, like I said I need lots of help and I appreciate you clarifying everything for me.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
I love the newest hitting speak. It doesn't get loaded. What a crock of crap. It definitely gets unloaded at launch ...The new fad. If you retract your scap to you spine is that loading. When you launch the barrel and finish the swing is the scap still retracted toward the spine? Are you running the bases with your hip coiled and your scap retracted. Please with all of this bologna

Dec 4, 2013
Plus TM is having his hitters exaggerate the jut of the lead elbow. He say it a couple of times during the video. A hitter first needs the feel of the 'Ferris wheel'.

^^ What he said.......

Pulling the barrel is a nasty habit to break. Kids have trouble trusting the forearms at first. That extreme exaggeration and elbow jut has helped my hitters tremendously. If you literally turn the knob to the sky and the barrel to the ground during a snap stop you have no choice but to activate the forearms......So many TM videos are dissected by everyone and bashed, but most don't know the point of the demos that he is presenting.........You will notice Julray most people who are tearing him apart are the same people that won't put their own swing or one of their students' swings out there for analysis......

And I hope you and Bass could get along. I wouldn't burn that bridge! He is like an encyclopedia of knowledge. And he earned it the hard way by reading and rereading every thread out there.......

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017

I do not agree. And I just checked his site out and the guys a total creep! He may know how the swing works but dumping barrels and falling over on one leg is not a good progressive path to get there.He doesn't account for athletic ability. He has predicted failures of many players and is wrong. His coil is a lift and coil rearward. He doesn't believe you coil forward. Good.luck jryan. Hopefully you can avoid his nasty disposition!

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
I love the newest hitting speak. It doesn't get loaded. What a crock of crap. It definitely gets unloaded at launch ...The new fad. If you retract your scap to you spine is that loading. When you launch the barrel and finish the swing is the scap still retracted toward the spine? Are you running the bases with your hip coiled and your scap retracted. Please with all of this bologna

Do you really think the rear leg/hip are uncoiled into contact?

Dec 4, 2013

You are incorrect. It is not unloaded at launch, it circles.....The pinched scap is eventually released but if it is at launch you have lost any stretch that you have created........

2jfk84n.jpg_zpszbm0qpaj.gif
n67q6d.jpg_zpsj2tt1dv5.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish