Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Thanks for all the comments in regards to push.. So it sounds like the hands moving away from the hand pivot makes the swing a push due to not being synced up with the power source...

So can this comment be explained in terms of 2 drills. Top hand drill and bottom hand drill? Ie tee swings with only one hand at a time. I try to get my DD to feel these two actions separately and the bottom hand def feels like a pulling and top feels like pushing. Bottom hand is front (left side for RHH) side muscles pulling like the tricep and shoulder and oblique and top hand is back side (right side RHH) muscles like the pec and abs and oblique. Maybe maybe not. I just am not sure a ‘push’ swing is really a push at all just a way to describe a swing that has more arms and hands involved.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So can this comment be explained in terms of 2 drills. Top hand drill and bottom hand drill? Ie tee swings with only one hand at a time. I try to get my DD to feel these two actions separately and the bottom hand def feels like a pulling and top feels like pushing. Bottom hand is front (left side for RHH) side muscles pulling like the tricep and shoulder and oblique and top hand is back side (right side RHH) muscles like the pec and abs and oblique. Maybe maybe not. I just am not sure a ‘push’ swing is really a push at all just a way to describe a swing that has more arms and hands involved.

Fanboi22, I view it more like keeping the hands back (or stationary hand pivot) during the brief connection where the energy is transferred from body/arms/hands/bat during the swing.. This happens during the contraction. For me it kind of feels like I am trying to suck the knob into the body.

nK4cDER.gif

9Fdg4J0.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Fanboi22, I view it more like keeping the hands back (or stationary hand pivot) during the brief connection where the energy is transferred from body/arms/hands/bat during the swing.. This happens during the contraction. For me it kind of feels like I am trying to suck the knob into the body.

nK4cDER.gif

9Fdg4J0.gif

So for both of these clips, the hitter may have some connection but Bonds never does.

And if going back to the point of this thread neither are swinging down as they would for a game swing. So what would change from these clips to a game swing? As a note I am working with DD on the exact thing that Bonds is doing and she loves it. As FFS said effortless power be powerless effort.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So for both of these clips, the hitter may have some connection but Bonds never does.

And if going back to the point of this thread neither are swinging down as they would for a game swing. So what would change from these clips to a game swing? As a note I am working with DD on the exact thing that Bonds is doing and she loves it. As FFS said effortless power be powerless effort.

Bonds has free hands (float) that seek a hand pivot to barrel up pitches.. Bonds is connected briefly once hand pivot is established to transfer energy from body/arms/hands/bat.

Are you referring to these 2 clips I posted ? If yes they are both showing the radial/ulnar deviation that occurs in the "down to" swing.

5xobqNN.jpg

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Bonds has free hands (float) that seek a hand pivot to barrel up pitches.. Bonds is connected briefly once hand pivot is established to transfer energy from body/arms/hands/bat.

Are you referring to these 2 clips I posted ? If yes they are both showing the radial/ulnar deviation that occurs in the "down to" swing.

5xobqNN.jpg

Hand pivot is once the hitter has decided to move forward with the swing correct? Free hands to pivot hands to whippet hands right? I guess I am just saying the bonds clip is similar to the first Braun clip in that it is only arm action being shown. Didn’t think you could be connected only using arms. Which is why I asked what had to change to make it a game swing.

The radial/ulnar deviation is what I agree with is happening. That is what my daughter loves to practice.

Before we started practicing this specifically she was focused more on trying to turn the barrel and keep strong hands thru the swing.

Little story on this. One day We were testing out her exit velo on her bats, a ghost 2020 which was cracked and a ghost advanced. She liked the 2020 better and I told her the Adv was giving her more pop.

We took note of the exit velos and they were fairly even with the slight edge to the Adv. not important.

What is important is when we tried to let her take out aggression on the 2020 we worked an Axe chop type swing into the ball on the ground. The bat was out of warranty and didn’t matter anyway. She was on her knees and pulling down and releasing the barrel head into the ball essentially chopping wood.

She got up and didn’t worry anything about her lower body and just tried to ‘chop’ the barrel into the ball. I referenced Barry B and his comment to ‘catch the ball’ with the barrel. We worked the BB drill and pounded the ball into the ground. Then out 5 feet. Then out farther and farther until she was lacing the ball across the yard(180 ish to the back corner).

She felt it was effortless. Now I am trying to stay in bounds of this thread as the last stage of that drill she needs to be able to swing down at the start to get the barrel up at the end. Otherwise she could only get under the ball with back spin hitting the bottom half of the ball. I do not agree with that. She worked on starting hands high and turning deeper to get the deep barrel start and release thru the ball.

Long story short we retested her exit velo with the new ‘chop’ swing and it went from 66 to 75 mph.

Hoping to get more game video and post in her thread so as to not derail this one.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

5xobqNN.jpg

Do you consider the radial/ulnar process as a timing mechanism in the swing?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Hand pivot is once the hitter has decided to move forward with the swing correct? Free hands to pivot hands to whippet hands right? I guess I am just saying the bonds clip is similar to the first Braun clip in that it is only arm action being shown. Didn’t think you could be connected only using arms. Which is why I asked what had to change to make it a game swing.

The radial/ulnar deviation is what I agree with is happening. That is what my daughter loves to practice.

Before we started practicing this specifically she was focused more on trying to turn the barrel and keep strong hands thru the swing.

Little story on this. One day We were testing out her exit velo on her bats, a ghost 2020 which was cracked and a ghost advanced. She liked the 2020 better and I told her the Adv was giving her more pop.

We took note of the exit velos and they were fairly even with the slight edge to the Adv. not important.

What is important is when we tried to let her take out aggression on the 2020 we worked an Axe chop type swing into the ball on the ground. The bat was out of warranty and didn’t matter anyway. She was on her knees and pulling down and releasing the barrel head into the ball essentially chopping wood.

She got up and didn’t worry anything about her lower body and just tried to ‘chop’ the barrel into the ball. I referenced Barry B and his comment to ‘catch the ball’ with the barrel. We worked the BB drill and pounded the ball into the ground. Then out 5 feet. Then out farther and farther until she was lacing the ball across the yard(180 ish to the back corner).

She felt it was effortless. Now I am trying to stay in bounds of this thread as the last stage of that drill she needs to be able to swing down at the start to get the barrel up at the end. Otherwise she could only get under the ball with back spin hitting the bottom half of the ball. I do not agree with that. She worked on starting hands high and turning deeper to get the deep barrel start and release thru the ball.

Long story short we retested her exit velo with the new ‘chop’ swing and it went from 66 to 75 mph.

Hoping to get more game video and post in her thread so as to not derail this one.

Yes

Oct 2, 2017
Might not apply here, but when we hear pros talk about "Down to", not concerned with core contraction etc. We have to realize where their focus is. Take this clip of Trout. Everyone has seen it before. He does 2 demos of the same swing to contact on the tee. (9:45 mark is the 1st followed by the 2nd) Notice the difference between the 2. The first he's not primarily focused on hand direction, but he is more barrel to the ball centric in his focus. I think you can conclude this because of the barrel path vs the 2nd. In the 2nd clip he has no focus on the barrel it's simply hands direction to the ball. Barrel path is different. Its a "Chop" The Hand pivot is there in the 1st not the 2nd

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13