Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
So, you mean if his hands were more forward??

Try this. Pull your arm back like you are going to punch me (not hard to imagine:)) Where is your hand?

Now do it, and keep your hand behind your elbow. Does that feel strong or leveraged to you?

No, not more forward. From the first photo if he flexed his bicep from exactly where he is. Meaning his hand gets directly closer to his shoulder.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
So, you mean if his hands were more forward??

Try this. Pull your arm back like you are going to punch me (not hard to imagine:)) Where is your hand?

Now do it, and keep your hand behind your elbow. Does that feel strong or leveraged to you?

As an additional question. Why elbow slot at all if the power position is with the forearm horizontal the elbow behind in the punching position? Why not keep the hands ahead and the elbow back as much as possible?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Efast

If you want to see the elbow leading the hands on several swings I’ve seen, check out Giancarlo Stanton. I’ll save the swing next time.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
As an additional question. Why elbow slot at all if the power position is with the forearm horizontal the elbow behind in the punching position? Why not keep the hands ahead and the elbow back as much as possible?

Look at David Wright for your answer. I’ll post some vids later.

edit: I think Bergman does the same thing, they don’t slot like most hitters. Their slot is delayed a little. Not on all swings.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks for all the comments in regards to push.. So it sounds like the hands moving away from the hand pivot makes the swing a push due to not being synced up with the power source...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I thought a push was when you used your arms to push the knob forward and not synced up with the back shoulder. I don't see a push in the Yelich .gif. I do see a barrel turning behind him however. Granted not to the extreme Anotonell

No push. I see the barrel turning behind the hitter through a contraction of the obliques and rear lat. which in turn, causes what I would describe as a shoulder rotation around the spine. I personally don't see anything I would describe as "pull down". The way I see it, is best shown by the yellow line. If he was pulling down the line be closer to vertical than arcing behind him.

So what is causing the barrel to move on the yellow line ? Are you thinking the hands are just holding on for the contraction of the obliques and rear lat ?

Jvn2raS.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Fanboi22

The bat should be perpendicular to the forearm. If Wright was swinging in a complete Ferris wheel at a pitch at the knees, maybe he would be perpendicular.

As you can see the swing has a binding action, not very smooth because the forearm and barrel aren’t perpendicular. The elbow is late for the alignment to happen.

Wright doesn’t do this on every swing and he isn’t the only one I’ve seen do this. And this isn’t his worst swing of doing it incorrectly some might say. It just shows you what can happen.

giphy.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Fanboi22

The bat should be perpendicular to the forearm. If Wright was swinging in a complete Ferris wheel at a pitch at the knees, maybe he would be perpendicular.

As you can see the swing has a binding action, not very smooth because the forearm and barrel aren’t perpendicular. The elbow is late for the alignment to happen.

Wright doesn’t do this on every swing and he isn’t the only one I’ve seen do this.

giphy.gif
Probably not very smooth because it may not even be a strike 😂

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Probably not very smooth because it may not even be a strike 😂

On that note, the Ferris wheel doesn’t have anything to do with swing plane. We just say it does on low pitches because it resembles a Ferris wheel.

The Ferris wheel is about , tilt, scap actions in a parallel plane to the swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45