Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is this 'transition' not the 'chop'? Like what Barry is showing in the prior gif? To me it seems like a purposeful move. i suppose you can say its a reaction, but i think only because it comes after the care action. Maybe i am not understanding.

IMO, the swing starts at the hand pivot when you decide to swing. From there you need to get the barrel to the ball, but i am feeling the hand path is the most important part of this because the barrel will always follow the hands. The barrel then can also be called a reaction to the hands. In any case, like i said before, i am not into the arguments on phrasiology, just that i understand the actions happening.

If the hands don't stay up (on top of the ball) you can never 'swing down'. To me the ulnar deviation is the last action in the swing path to the ball starting from up and going down to. Depending on how early or late you are to the ball dictates if the barrel hits the ball still going down or if it hits coming back up. Not only timing, but without the proper posture my DD struggles to ever get back up. This 'down to' at least for what my DD just showed me today, can be missed and looks like the demonstrations that Swing Down across and down the torso more forward and flat.

I am not personally a fan of the chopping action, but if it works for you or anyone else, please continue with it.

In the chopping action that Bonds demonstrates, I get the impression that it is a purposeful movement. However, I do not think that is the case in the game swing. I believe the transition between articulations occurs naturally instead of being forced. That is why check swings are difficult. Your wrists are trying to prevent that transition from occurring, but sometimes cannot overcome the inertia created by the barrel.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I am not personally a fan of the chopping action, but if it works for you or anyone else, please continue with it.

In the chopping action that Bonds demonstrates, I get the impression that it is a purposeful movement. However, I do not think that is the case in the game swing. I believe the transition between articulations occurs naturally instead of being forced. That is why check swings are difficult. Your wrists are trying to prevent that transition from occurring, but sometimes cannot overcome the inertia created by the barrel.
Ok, gotcha. I like the check swing reference. Makes sense. It was actually very difficult for my DD to try and hold back like this on the check swing. But when she got it, it looked good. Others mentioned in the Out from thread about timing being the most important. And i agree, i think my DD has gotten alot better on the timing and has allowed her to work on all this other mechanics stuff. It's a fun transition to watch, but very easy to slip back to old habits if not practiced. Still down here at the Indy Midwest Firecracker so hopefully can put some more of it together.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
5N7CY7S.gif

Apr 11, 2015
That's an interesting clip. Because in both of them, neither of them are showing anything that would lead one to see "swing down", as their hands are still at or even with their rear shoulders, and the obvious barrel barrel path is/would be coming around under the rear shoulder had it been released.

Nothing would indicate that they would have ever taken the bat/barrel over their rear shoulder "down to" the ball like some of the pros are showing, simulating, or demoing in some clips. 🤔

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
That's an interesting clip. Because in both of them, neither of them are showing anything that would lead one to see "swing down", as their hands are still at or even with their rear shoulders, and the obvious barrel barrel path is/would be coming around under the rear shoulder had it been released.

Nothing would indicate that they would have ever taken the bat/barrel over their rear shoulder "down to" the ball like some of the pros are showing, simulating, or demoing in some clips. 🤔

Launch then direct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45