Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just a little jibe :)

Every time i see this post title
Swing Down
My brain says
NO

Okay okay i get it...
its a discussion about more than taking a tree down with an ax. Or golf. ;)

Just not the verbiage mental note for my brain and hitting.

Enjoy!

Aug 20, 2017
Hand pivot is once the hitter has decided to move forward with the swing correct? Free hands to pivot hands to whippet hands right? I guess I am just saying the bonds clip is similar to the first Braun clip in that it is only arm action being shown. Didn’t think you could be connected only using arms. Which is why I asked what had to change to make it a game swing.

The radial/ulnar deviation is what I agree with is happening. That is what my daughter loves to practice.

Before we started practicing this specifically she was focused more on trying to turn the barrel and keep strong hands thru the swing.

Little story on this. One day We were testing out her exit velo on her bats, a ghost 2020 which was cracked and a ghost advanced. She liked the 2020 better and I told her the Adv was giving her more pop.

We took note of the exit velos and they were fairly even with the slight edge to the Adv. not important.

What is important is when we tried to let her take out aggression on the 2020 we worked an Axe chop type swing into the ball on the ground. The bat was out of warranty and didn’t matter anyway. She was on her knees and pulling down and releasing the barrel head into the ball essentially chopping wood.

She got up and didn’t worry anything about her lower body and just tried to ‘chop’ the barrel into the ball. I referenced Barry B and his comment to ‘catch the ball’ with the barrel. We worked the BB drill and pounded the ball into the ground. Then out 5 feet. Then out farther and farther until she was lacing the ball across the yard(180 ish to the back corner).

She felt it was effortless. Now I am trying to stay in bounds of this thread as the last stage of that drill she needs to be able to swing down at the start to get the barrel up at the end. Otherwise she could only get under the ball with back spin hitting the bottom half of the ball. I do not agree with that. She worked on starting hands high and turning deeper to get the deep barrel start and release thru the ball.

Long story short we retested her exit velo with the new ‘chop’ swing and it went from 66 to 75 mph.

Hoping to get more game video and post in her thread so as to not derail this one.
We started doing the Bonds stuff earlier this spring with my 13yo dd and we had similar results. Only using Blast Motion her bat speed Increased from 54mph to 58mph. Her time to contact also increased by .02 secs. Angle of attack went from -18 to -2. This spring/summer she played up on 14U (still 12U eligible). She had her best season so far. No dingers yet but she hit a bunch of rockets.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Hand pivot is once the hitter has decided to move forward with the swing correct? Free hands to pivot hands to whippet hands right? I guess I am just saying the bonds clip is similar to the first Braun clip in that it is only arm action being shown. Didn’t think you could be connected only using arms. Which is why I asked what had to change to make it a game swing.

The radial/ulnar deviation is what I agree with is happening. That is what my daughter loves to practice.

Before we started practicing this specifically she was focused more on trying to turn the barrel and keep strong hands thru the swing.

Little story on this. One day We were testing out her exit velo on her bats, a ghost 2020 which was cracked and a ghost advanced. She liked the 2020 better and I told her the Adv was giving her more pop.

We took note of the exit velos and they were fairly even with the slight edge to the Adv. not important.

What is important is when we tried to let her take out aggression on the 2020 we worked an Axe chop type swing into the ball on the ground. The bat was out of warranty and didn’t matter anyway. She was on her knees and pulling down and releasing the barrel head into the ball essentially chopping wood.

She got up and didn’t worry anything about her lower body and just tried to ‘chop’ the barrel into the ball. I referenced Barry B and his comment to ‘catch the ball’ with the barrel. We worked the BB drill and pounded the ball into the ground. Then out 5 feet. Then out farther and farther until she was lacing the ball across the yard(180 ish to the back corner).

She felt it was effortless. Now I am trying to stay in bounds of this thread as the last stage of that drill she needs to be able to swing down at the start to get the barrel up at the end. Otherwise she could only get under the ball with back spin hitting the bottom half of the ball. I do not agree with that. She worked on starting hands high and turning deeper to get the deep barrel start and release thru the ball.

Long story short we retested her exit velo with the new ‘chop’ swing and it went from 66 to 75 mph.

Hoping to get more game video and post in her thread so as to not derail this one.

Also thanks for sharing your journey !! This drill also gives her the ability to see the bat hit the ball which gives her control of the barrel.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Also thanks for sharing your journey !! This drill also gives her the ability to see the bat hit the ball which gives her control of the barrel.

Even tho this is the technical forum I like putting the practical to it. Because most of the action is in the technical. In either case I am trying to apply everything to a real person and a real swing. DD is also becoming more pitch and body aware. To get her to ‘enjoy’ a drill is an awesome step for her. And me haha. Usually drag her kicking and screaming. Haha.

For her to see and feel the effortless power she gets has been key. Just trying to get the swing initiation down with stretch and FYB. That has been the hard part recently.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Even tho this is the technical forum I like putting the practical to it. Because most of the action is in the technical. In either case I am trying to apply everything to a real person and a real swing. DD is also becoming more pitch and body aware. To get her to ‘enjoy’ a drill is an awesome step for her. And me haha. Usually drag her kicking and screaming. Haha.

For her to see and feel the effortless power she gets has been key. Just trying to get the swing initiation down with stretch and FYB. That has been the hard part recently.

Fanboi22, I would try focusing on the lead side (pitchers side) to accomplish this.. I look at as an oblique contraction causes the stride.. How the heel gets peeled matters (don't use the leg to accomplish). This will help her get fyb without compromising the rear leg/hip relationship.

wnzLWFt.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What about the transition into ulnar? Do you consider that an action or a re-action to other things?

I would say a reaction or synced with the core contraction. For me it feels like the knob gets sucked into the core contraction..

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would say a reaction or synced with the core contraction. For me it feels like the knob gets sucked into the core contraction..

Thank you. It seems some people feel that the transition from radial to ulnar is part of the timing process. Other than a hitter intentionally delaying/stopping it from occurring in the case of a check swing, I'm not sure I buy it. Seems like too small of a window to actually control the transition with any type of consistency. I see it as a reaction as well.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Thank you. It seems some people feel that the transition from radial to ulnar is part of the timing process. Other than a hitter intentionally delaying/stopping it from occurring in the case of a check swing, I'm not sure I buy it. Seems like too small of a window to actually control the transition with any type of consistency. I see it as a reaction as well.
Is this 'transition' not the 'chop'? Like what Barry is showing in the prior gif? To me it seems like a purposeful move. i suppose you can say its a reaction, but i think only because it comes after the care action. Maybe i am not understanding.

IMO, the swing starts at the hand pivot when you decide to swing. From there you need to get the barrel to the ball, but i am feeling the hand path is the most important part of this because the barrel will always follow the hands. The barrel then can also be called a reaction to the hands. In any case, like i said before, i am not into the arguments on phrasiology, just that i understand the actions happening.

If the hands don't stay up (on top of the ball) you can never 'swing down'. To me the ulnar deviation is the last action in the swing path to the ball starting from up and going down to. Depending on how early or late you are to the ball dictates if the barrel hits the ball still going down or if it hits coming back up. Not only timing, but without the proper posture my DD struggles to ever get back up. This 'down to' at least for what my DD just showed me today, can be missed and looks like the demonstrations that Swing Down across and down the torso more forward and flat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid