Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks, i am seeing it that the hands pull, but they pull down and across. I see mostly the same 'body' actions. That's just me i am sure not knowing what to look for.
In his 2013 swing it looks like his hips shift forward but he leaves upper (middle?) behind some whereas in the 2014 swing they move together better.. 🤷‍♂️

May 12, 2016
the bold above is where it is missing imo. Take any instruction that isolates something specific. Just like anyone on here, and you can 'overbake' it. It's 'all the other ingredients' that are also important. Jennie Finch knows to drive off the mound and circle her arm around, but she def did not know how all the parts were put together and that she was aiming her hand the wrong way for which her body correctly went the right way.
Yes that is what I said, it's missing. But just because other components are missing, doesn't mean what's isolated is wrong as per your Jennie Finch analogy.

May 12, 2016
View attachment 23394

tewks. cabrera.

move from the middle.
A lot more stretch and FYB in 2014 IMO... but one of the biggest things I see that affects barrel path between the two is posture. In 2014 JD has much better posture, providing space for the hands to come down and through the ball. I see the hands doing the same thing in both, just on a different plane

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yes that is what I said, it's missing. But just because other components are missing, doesn't mean what's isolated is wrong as per your Jennie Finch analogy.
But said the way that Jennie does doesn't allow for anything else to happen correctly....mostly. The demo of 'swing down to' which i feel the pros actually think you do, stops the progress to get to the 'true' swing. Just ask tewks. I don't know his whole history, but when you work at trying to hit over a high back tee to get that down to direction, that is hurting and you can never get to a good path if that is the first thing you are trying to do. So to me, taking that literally w/o all the other stuff is bad. If we are intended to not take it literally, then say so. This is literally NOT what i am doing......but this is what it 'feels' like i am doing. I haven't heard anyone say that except maybe Bregman who says his shoulders and hips stay forward - he knows that's not right' but thats what he has to think about. All the other demos in question are showing people actually thinking that is what they are doing. Just my opinion, and probably starting it all over again. Not sure why the pros don't then say ' i am isolating this'. Doesn't matter to me, but i feel that we should also understand that the best in the world pitching have taught the absolute wrong thing in regards to arm path. Why isn't this the same when talking bat path? It's just a possibility and just because a pro says it doesn't mean its right. Look at all the hitting wars that have gone on for so long, and no one has ever figured it out? no one is right but no one is wrong.

It has taken me years to try and get my understanding better so i can help DD. I enjoy the forums, but all the Dogma's got me dogged.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
But said the way that Jennie does doesn't allow for anything else to happen correctly....mostly. The demo of 'swing down to' which i feel the pros actually think you do, stops the progress to get to the 'true' swing. Just ask tewks. I don't know his whole history, but when you work at trying to hit over a high back tee to get that down to direction, that is hurting and you can never get to a good path if that is the first thing you are trying to do. So to me, taking that literally w/o all the other stuff is bad. If we are intended to not take it literally, then say so. This is literally NOT what i am doing......but this is what it 'feels' like i am doing. I haven't heard anyone say that except maybe Bregman who says his shoulders and hips stay forward - he knows that's not right' but thats what he has to think about. All the other demos in question are showing people actually thinking that is what they are doing. Just my opinion, and probably starting it all over again. Not sure why the pros don't then say ' i am isolating this'. Doesn't matter to me, but i feel that we should also understand that the best in the world pitching have taught the absolute wrong thing in regards to arm path. Why isn't this the same when talking bat path? It's just a possibility and just because a pro says it doesn't mean its right. Look at all the hitting wars that have gone on for so long, and no one has ever figured it out? no one is right but no one is wrong.

It has taken me years to try and get my understanding better so i can help DD. I enjoy the forums, but all the Dogma's got me dogged.

Tewks was ABAF.. This creates to steep of barrel path for "down to". Same with the young girls practice swing.. Not saying Tewks was ever taught fyb shift then swing but swinging "down to" isn't compatible with this pattern (swing is the shift )..

knzdEtX.gif

8h2abpJ.gif

DoMGI9d.gif

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
quote from Tewks on his Tewks Hitting website:

'It is pretty scary when you think about it. I was a Division I college baseball player who was a Freshman All-American and Conference Player of the Year. I was a professional baseball player. And I didn’t really understand my best swings or swing mechanics in general. I just worked my tail off and relied mostly on hand eye coordination and feel. But I could never repeat those swings. What I know now is my hard work was pretty much preventing those great swings from happening.

And I’ve found this experience to be consistent with most players and coaches I speak with. They truly don’t understand the swing and the different ways the bat can be swung. And they work against themselves because they don’t know what to work on. What a waste.'

May 12, 2016

Like I said many times, it can be misleading. With that being said, it's easy for me to see that what they are demoing is an isolated movement. JMHO. And I see that movement in their swing... they focus on hands, and yes I agree it looks confusing with the components missing. Why don't they talk about everything else... I'm not sure. But they always always talk about taking their hands direct to the ball... it's obviously very important to them and they probably understand that's where hitters get tripped up which is why they focus on it.

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
A lot more stretch and FYB in 2014 IMO... but one of the biggest things I see that affects barrel path between the two is posture. In 2014 JD has much better posture, providing space for the hands to come down and through the ball. I see the hands doing the same thing in both, just on a different plane

are you talking about dynamic posture? Slack removal maybe? Is that part of your definition of posture?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes