Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
quote from Tewks on his Tewks Hitting website:

'It is pretty scary when you think about it. I was a Division I college baseball player who was a Freshman All-American and Conference Player of the Year. I was a professional baseball player. And I didn’t really understand my best swings or swing mechanics in general. I just worked my tail off and relied mostly on hand eye coordination and feel. But I could never repeat those swings. What I know now is my hard work was pretty much preventing those great swings from happening.

And I’ve found this experience to be consistent with most players and coaches I speak with. They truly don’t understand the swing and the different ways the bat can be swung. And they work against themselves because they don’t know what to work on. What a waste.'

I have had similar conversations with a friend of mine. He played briefly for the Expos back in the day and spent a couple of years playing ball in Japan. He knows he could have done more but held himself back to a certain extent.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
There is most certainly slack removed... and yes I am referring to dynamic posture.

What is slack? And what is it removed from?

IMO the final stretch that occurs prior to launch starts in the upper legs and ends in the scap area. The compound movement I mentioned before includes multiple muscle groups including and between those areas. That is why I don't talk about the core. It isn't because I don't think the core is important, just that the process involves more than the core.

May 12, 2016
What is slack? And what is it removed from?

IMO the final stretch that occurs prior to launch starts in the upper legs and ends in the scap area. The compound movement I mentioned before includes multiple muscle groups including and between those areas. That is why I don't talk about the core. It isn't because I don't think the core is important, just that the process involves more than the core.
If you think the core is important, why don’t you talk about it… sounds like your definition of a pro demo, leaving out the important aspects 😉.

IMO slack is lack of stretch at launch. Many times there is a lot of slack in a swing with ABAF sequence. The hands are already coming forward before a leveraged position.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you think the core is important, why don’t you talk about it… sounds like your definition of a pro demo, leaving out the important aspects 😉.

IMO slack is lack of stretch at launch. Many times there is a lot of slack in a swing with ABAF sequence. The hands are already coming forward before a leveraged position.
I may not talk about it the same way others do but I have stated numerous times over the years that the core is important. It's difficult to perform any dynamic athletic activity without utilizing the core. I just see more involved. FFS tried to get some people to define core over the years but never succeeded. He preferred the term torso. I'm not sure that is completely accurate either because the upper legs are not technically part of the torso. Typically I didnt get too involved in those discussions because I didnt want to muddy the waters any further. However, at this point, I'm not sure how much muddier they can get.

By the way, I do agree with your definition of slack and the example you provided. There are other examples as well.

May 12, 2016
I may not talk about it the same way others do but I have stated numerous times over the years that the core is important. It's difficult to perform any dynamic athletic activity without utilizing the core. I just see more involved. FFS tried to get some people to define core over the years but never succeeded. He preferred the term torso. I'm not sure that is completely accurate either because the upper legs are not technically part of the torso. Typically I didnt get too involved in those discussions because I didnt want to muddy the waters any further. However, at this point, I'm not sure how much muddier they can get.

By the way, I do agree with your definition of slack and the example you provided. There are other examples as well.
I hear ya… I remember those discussions and did they ever go down a rabbit hole on that one. I really don’t have enough knowledge about the body to define exactly what the core is, if I tried to explain I would definitely botch it up. Maybe there are some experts in this forum who can define what muscles belong to the core and what muscles support the core

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut