Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@FP26

the way I see it. The obliques pull the upper body around, while the upper(rib cage)returns the favor pulling the obliques and hips into extension. Hip decel (posture) is what stops the upper and propels the arms/hands. Hip extension is the result. Basically the upper slingshots off the pelvis deceling the pelvis. Pulling everything up and into extension. For me the hands set the plane, the posture maintains it. Jmho.

1628043447895.gif

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I understand where you are coming from W as per previous conversations. But it’s not just hands that set the plane, posture is dynamic and will adjust to pitch location which also sets the plane. Good posture will provide space for the hands to adjust if necessary.

Thats all I’m going to say about it.. not going down this rabbit hole again.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I understand where you are coming from W as per previous conversations. But it’s not just hands that set the plane, posture is dynamic and will adjust to pitch location which also sets the plane. Good posture will provide space for the hands to adjust if necessary.

Thats all I’m going to say about it.. not going down this rabbit hole again.

ok I’ll rephrase. the hands set the course of direction. posture adheres to this. The hands control the posture changes. This is what I mean. Posture is just keeping/getting the body outta the way. if the hands don’t control this, you’re late. If you want to say the torso and hips adjust for different pitches, ok. but the hands told them what to do before they did anything. Make sense?

the reason why I don’t say posture is bc it’s a reaction, if the middle is stretched and if you keep the hips flexed and some kinda forward bend into foot down. posture to me is a set it and forget it. No need to even talk about if youre moving from the middle. a tensioned model. a loaded feeling throughout. a ‘structured swing’. ‘Tinseled’ Or ‘strung‘ tightly. 🙂

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So, to me, the swing on the left looks more "down to". But I'm sure that isn't the "down to" you guys are referring to, and I am not claiming that it is. But can you see how someone would think it is? IMO the swing on the left looks much closer to the pros demos. Sorry, just being honest. The swing on the right looks more "direct" to me. JMO...
If you're asking about his "Hitting for Excellence" DVD set, I bought Dave's original 7 VHS tape (are you familiar with what VHS tapes are? 😉😁) back in 2002, which is how I first learned his stuff. I won't tell you how much I paid for them at the time, but just that they were multiple, multiple, multiple times more expensive than the DVD set is now.

Then 6 months later at a "Father and Son" (yes, not "PC" yet back then) hitting clinic he put on that filled up an entire side of a HS gymnasium bleachers with participants; is where he saw my boys swinging it, asked me where they learned that, and when I said "From you through you videos series"...is how or why he contacted me several days later, and asked if I'd like to go to Phoenix (I live in SoCal) to be in his first certified instructors class that he was just starting at the time.

Now it could have been that he saw my sons' swings, felt sorry for them, and thought I needed more 1on1 instruction to get me, and subsequently my boys' swings better. 🤦‍♂️😖 But I'm going to stick with the "he liked their swings so much" version for my own peace of mind. 😜😀

Yes, I had the old VHS program as well. I bought the DVD later.

The Hitting /Power DVD came later. That’s where he talks about changing the swing angle out front.

May 12, 2016
ok I’ll rephrase. the hands set the course of direction. posture adheres to this. The hands control the posture changes. This is what I mean. Posture is just keeping/getting the body outta the way. if the hands don’t control this, you’re late. If you want to say the torso and hips adjust for different pitches, ok. but the hands told them what to do before they did anything. Make sense?

the reason why I don’t say posture is bc it’s a reaction, if the middle is stretched and if you keep the hips flexed and some kinda forward bend into foot down. posture to me is a set it and forget it. No need to even talk about if youre moving from the middle. a tensioned model. a loaded feeling throughout. a ‘structured swing’. ‘Tinseled’ Or ‘strung‘ tightly. 🙂
Yeah.. I disagree :)

Hands controlling, body reacting is very similar to what another instructor (whose name I will not mention) claims.

JMHO

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yeah.. I disagree :)

Hands controlling, body reacting is very similar to what another instructor (whose name I will not mention) claims.

JMHO

its All good. what I’m saying isn’t what that guy is saying. he wants the hands used for power and force. I want them used for direction and structure. 2 way different things.

it’s akin to Josh D explaining his lead elbow. I just use the hands to keep the body on top of the ball.

Apr 11, 2015
Yes, I had the old VHS program as well. I bought the DVD later.

The Hitting /Power DVD came later. That’s where he talks about changing the swing angle out front.
Roger that. Yeah, only did a 2 year stint with Dave's stuff, so pretty much anything after 2005 I'd stopped following already.

Dave was always an "out front" guy, and why upon continued investigation and video study, I eventually rediscovered the "Science of Hitting" book I had as a kid, but had just been collecting dust tucked away in a bookshelf, that I had had previously success with, and always revert back to when some other new hitting "discovery" is made on the internet.

While they might seem or sound (marketed) like someone's found the holy grail of hitting...there always seems to be a hiccup in them that just didn't seem to jive with what was already working quite well for me. Unfortunately, I took the bait on a couple of them hook, line, and sinker...and actually had regression instead of progression with a hitter or two, and eventually went back to the Williams' stuff as the underlying foundation of everything I do now...barrel path included.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
5ikwss.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog