Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
Who are you listening to?

I mean if you can look at a pro swing a see barrel path, why can't you look at a pro swing and see FYB and posture? So you take the pros instruction of isolating hand path down to, add the other ingredients missing from the demo. That was my journey, not saying it should be yours :)
I thought I explained that. The pros never mention "isolating hand path" nor "other ingredients" you are adding that.

I actually like your instruction better than most pros for what it's worth.

May 12, 2016
I thought I explained that. The pros never mention "isolating hand path" nor "other ingredients" you are adding that.

I actually like your instruction better than most pros for what it's worth.
Sorry, but you are not answering the important question I had for you. Who are you listening to, who's teaching you?

May 21, 2018
Sorry, but you are not answering the important question I had for you. Who are you listening to, who's teaching you?
uh.....Yoda? No one is "teaching" me, that's why I'm in this godforsaken thread. I try to take in as much information as possible and make and informed decision on how to proceed. This usually leads to paralysis by analysis.

May 12, 2016
uh.....Yoda? No one is "teaching" me, that's why I'm in this godforsaken thread. I try to take in as much information as possible and make and informed decision on how to proceed. This usually leads to paralysis by analysis.
Right, through the lens of a DFP member.

How's that different than having what the pros are telling us(down to) and DFP members highlighting the missing components to complete what we see at game time?

Apr 11, 2015
@julray, pick any instruction given by any professional in their respective field (cooking, painting, music...), and if they only gave you the one main instruction bit about how to do whatever, and left you to look at the final result(s) to figure out the rest in order to do or copy whatever it is they're doing...wouldn't that make you at least a little bit frustrated, and take you way longer to eventually accomplish it (if one ever does for that matter)...rather than just giving you all of the necessary pieces up front, and let you learn from there?

That's all we're saying. Not that the pros are wrong, don't know what they're doing, or are deceiving anyone in any way. It's just that as you've said many times over, they're leaving out some pretty important steps in how to bake a cake, or swing a baseball/softball bat.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think i am missing something, but these two gifs are at the core of the questions.

There have been a couple of comments on these and i agree with FP26 that the one on the left is the 'down to' that pros demo. I believe it is what they think and have tried to do. Why else would there be so many drills specific to get this action? i have no idea about the 'move from the middle' because i cannot see any difference with the 'middle'. I am also not one that thinks sequence can fix everything. (W=W can you help explain why the left hitter doesn't do this?)

The swing on the left to me is the move they promote, 'down to'. Over the many years without slow motion video, they probably didn't know any better, which imo is why you see so many demos of pros 'thinking' that is what they do. Just like Jennie Finch thinking that she has palm behind the ball and pushes the ball thru. That is old school and what she 'thought' she did. So she promoted it with drills and gimmicks. I am just struck by the fact we don't think that the hitters can be just as obtuse. I am of the opinion that the pros who are demoing 'down to' without the proper posture and position is because that's how they learned it and that's how they think they do it.

the pitchers who are athletic enough actually don't throw Hello Elbow, but that is how they explain it (ala Finch). Just like Pujols, he is athletic enough to let his body do the right thing, though i think he was probably told thru his early career to swing 'down to' which is how he explains it. I applaud those pros who try to explain what they think in detail, Josh Donaldson et al, but i truly truly believe, that some of the pros really just don't know. Dogmatic historical teachings still alive in the pitching world as well. i just don't think hitting is any different.

That being said does swing 'down to' work for some of the athletic individuals, sure. But the way it is demoed, like Hello Elbow is wrong, but imo is demoed the way they truly think it works.

the core doesn’t engage until late. so it doesn’t pull the hands enough. Look when the front lower side of the Jersey wrinkles.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I gave AJ because it is an extreme example of what he is talking about (I think). He is also thinks Adrian Gonzalez fits the rear-legged model

but to me the biggest difference is that AG looks a lot more balanced at launch (head approximately over belly button) and not stuck over his backside 🤷‍♂️

Just watch that swing. Great swing, early arc.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Who are you listening to? Assuming probably DFP members who are contradicting what the pros say/demo and practice.. right?

I get it, it's confusing, it was for me as well and I challenged it. But more and more pros were saying it and I needed to investigate it... why would all these pros say the same thing?

I mean if you can look at a pro swing a see barrel path, why can't you look at a pro swing and see FYB and posture? So you take the pros instruction of isolating hand path down to, add the other ingredients missing from the demo. That was my journey, not saying it should be yours :)
the bold above is where it is missing imo. Take any instruction that isolates something specific. Just like anyone on here, and you can 'overbake' it. It's 'all the other ingredients' that are also important. Jennie Finch knows to drive off the mound and circle her arm around, but she def did not know how all the parts were put together and that she was aiming her hand the wrong way for which her body correctly went the right way.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
the core doesn’t engage until late. so it doesn’t pull the hands enough. Look when the front lower side of the Jersey wrinkles.
Thanks, i am seeing it that the hands pull, but they pull down and across. I see mostly the same 'body' actions. That's just me i am sure not knowing what to look for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24