Summer ball survivial kit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I was just reading the thread on super glue on a blister to get through the game.

Thought it would be a good time with summer approaching to put together a good survival kit.
What does everyone keep in their kits?

I know with my DD she suffered from ingrown toenails on her drag toe (have some National tournament horror stories about that to).

Best thing we found was to spray cold spray on it to numb it, then cut it out with clippers, then put oragel in it to keep it numb through several innings and then reapply.

Super Glue
Cold Spray
Oragel
finger nail clippers
Band-aids
Ibuprofen
Sport tape
Ice pack

Please add :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Is super glue legal for a pitcher in softball? I know it works great but I also I know it is not legal in MLB or most baseball associations for a pitcher to use durring a game.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like to take wash cloths or hand towels, get them wet then fold them into squares and place two at a time in a plastic grocery bag. I lay the bag flat on it's side, then lay two towels flat but side by side. I fold the bag between the two towels so there is plastic separating the two. I stack several of these in the freezer the night before a game or hot practice.

Prior to the game/practice, I stack the bags/cloths in a cooler with catchers and pitchers getting priority. They can take one towel out at a time, wrap it around their neck, head, face. etc. They also make great ice wraps for boo boos.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Loctite blue 242, because I am done re-tightening screws on that damned helmet.

Loratadine (generic Claritin)
Saline solution.
Baby wipes.
Benadryl cream
Neosporin.
Moleskin.

Jul 26, 2010
Fog toggs. Similar concept to KenB except they get cold when you wet them. Some kids think they're slimy, but most like them. A mister in the dugout is also awesome. There are many portable varieties no bigger then a water bottle.

Add KT tape to the list. It's good for soreness, strains, injury prevention, or even chaffing issues. Love this stuff. Learn how to apply it to various areas.

Final thing, ONE reason to love the game that day. There's always 1000 reasons why they shouldn't, but all they need is 1 reason why they should.

-W

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
guero_gordo reminded me--a multi-tool is great to have for cutting zip ties, duct tape and tightening helmet screws.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Loctite blue 242, because I am done re-tightening screws on that damned helmet.

Loratadine (generic Claritin)
Saline solution.
Baby wipes.
Benadryl cream
Neosporin.
Moleskin.

Great ideas. Instead of loctite we have the girls use their least favorite/cheap nail polish. They back the screws out and then paint the threads and put them back before they dry.

Along with saline we make the girls provide a pair of contacts so the team always has a spare.

The mister is a mainstay in our toolkit. It is a heavy duty 2 gallon garden model from Home Depot. I always fill it full with ice before we leave in the morning and as it melts we add water. I keep it in the original cardboard box heavily packing taped with the bottom corners cut for drainage. It tends to sweat a lot and the cardboard/tape box insulates and drains without getting too much dirt and dust on it.

We also carry lots of different sunscreens and aloe lotions for those long days.

I have also started bringing an extension cord and power strip to charge phones/ipads/camera batteries/etc. I'm currently investigating a solar charger idea to see if there is a way to make it viable.

Also the requisite 10x10 popup shade. I also bring a large tarp 10x18 and attach that to one side of the shade to expand the covered area. Has also come in handy when trying to cover a dugout or the team's equipment during rain or extreme sun.

That is why I alway bring the minivan to games even though I only have one child on the team! Just like traveling when they were one or two - stroller, car seat, play pen, diaper bag, extra formula, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1