Stupid Things Coaches Say...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2010
My latest favorite is when an experienced hitter swings at a really high pitch and both 1B and 3B coach feel the need to tell them to lay off the high pitches. They act like they imparting some new found wisdom to the batter.

Heard it this weekend, hitter doesn't swing at a pitch that is eye level or higher and someone, parent or coach, yells out, "good eye".

Jun 7, 2013
As a coach, so I don't make this thread too often, I've learned to keep the old mouth shut a lot more and just be encouraging and supportive.

Mar 28, 2013
Love it when the opposing coach tell a batter "swing only at strikes" or "it has to be perfect" Bet he does not even think he's talking to my DD in the circle and he just told her. "throw heat right down the middle cause she's just going to watch it"

Jun 11, 2013
How about after pool play on Saturday when you played 3 games in over 100 degree heat. Kids are hot, sweaty, many have blood and dirt stains, many got up at 5:30 to make the games and the coach tells them they "didn't want it today". At least on teams I've been around, 90 percent of the kids give 110 effort every play.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
How about after pool play on Saturday when you played 3 games in over 100 degree heat. Kids are hot, sweaty, many have blood and dirt stains, many got up at 5:30 to make the games and the coach tells them they "didn't want it today". At least on teams I've been around, 90 percent of the kids give 110 effort every play.

That's not just stupid, it's evil.

Mar 1, 2013
How about in a 12U rec league game when a player stomps off the field having just struck out and tosses her helmet? The coach benched her (not disagreeing with that, necessarily) but then, at the top of his lungs, continued to yell at her, made her go sit in the stands away from the dugout and told her team (and everyone remotely near the field) that they were now going to lose because "our best player, Kelly" can't control her temper.

So, not only did he tell his entire rec team that they were crap without "Kelly", but he demonstrated, possibly, the origin of her temper problems.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
"Move up in the box!"
"Move back in the box!"

Those are my favorites and I love to hear them when I am calling the pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1