strength & agility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
Good question. That's another motivation for my daughter. She frequently has little aches and pains (knee, shoulder, back). My hope is that fitness training would alleviate it, and my fear is that it will make it worse.

Glucosamine, big fan for joint pains, like lube for the joints. You don't get instant relief but take it for a month then stop for a week and there is a huge difference.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
LMAO! Not touching that with a ten ft pole!

Ha ha - not a female thing; just a thing thing. I know women who get up at 5 a.m to go on a solo run before their families wake up. That sounds horrifying. I'm more of a lunchtime runner. I'll run on my own, though I (a female) do like having company. You can learn a lot of gossip in a 40 minute jog with a talker. :)

DD's team has a strength and fitness coach who works with the girls - it really helps with their overall fitness and stamina, and we do seem to be... knock on wood... injury free so far this season.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
An off the side question - can anyone explain why S/A is known for preventing injuries? I know it makes them stronger, but how does it prevent injuries...especially if overused?

I am not an expert but I have had several discussions with people that I would classify as experts. One is a physical therapist with sports medicine training. One is an orthopedic surgeon and focuses on sports related injuries. Both are in agreement that training properly can help prevent (but not eliminate) injuries. Each person has a unique set of attributes; strength, agility, flexibility, etc. In order to perform at a higher level, you must first understand your current baseline and how to improve in those areas. Each person is different and will have different areas of focus. Let's use bench pressing as an example. If your goal is to bench 225 pounds, do you train by attempting to lift 225 pounds? Or do you start with a lighter weight and work your way up as your capability improves? Seems pretty obvious.... But, I could go to a middle school girls soccer practice and watch a football coach ask his team to perform the same exercises he did at football practice a few months ago. Is it realistic to expect a 7th grade girl to perform in the same way as a 12th grade boy? If the foundation is not built first, injuries are more likely to occur. If you focus on the foundation, you can help limit them.

That said, I am sure the S/A trainer can explain it much better than I did.

Feb 7, 2013
Good thread. A related question I have is when is it ok for athletes to join a fitness gym? I know the minimum age around here to join say "24 Hour Fitness" is 13YO. Has anyone had their kid join a gym and at what age is it appropriate? My DD (12YO) and some of her softball friends have showed an interest in joining a gym and I like the fact that they care about physical fitness enough to consider it.

Sep 18, 2011
FWIW, DD's future college coach told dd NOT to lift weights and DEFINITELY not crossfit. Coach wants DD to be in shape when she arrives on campus, but wants all weight training and strenuous exercise reserved for when she gets on campus and can work with the team's trainer. They've had too many pre-arrival injuries.

Oct 19, 2009
FWIW, DD's future college coach told dd NOT to lift weights and DEFINITELY not crossfit. Coach wants DD to be in shape when she arrives on campus, but wants all weight training and strenuous exercise reserved for when she gets on campus and can work with the team's trainer. They've had too many pre-arrival injuries.

The trainer DD worked with is a college baseball player and played in the minors for several years never made the ML. He came home and started the Cross-Fit Gym.

I would definitely do what the coach advised the coach and the school is the one paying her schooling.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Like peppers my daughter does cross fit....
They do some crazy stuff to get fit. Here is her 2 years ago doing one arm push ups on top of a cattle bell.
Maybe your daughter can look into cross fit for some extraordinary strength.

SL

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
Strengthening the core muscles is very important in building a foundation and preventing injuries.

Every exercise has a purpose and a good trainer for baseball/softball players will employ the right ones, teach how to do them correctly and with an appropriate load (weight).

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada

29dad: That coach is RIGHT AND WRONG at the same time.

Crossfit = He is correct. Not softball-specific.
Lifting weight = Totally wrong. That's old school bad advice. Lifting weights is done by ALL TOP COLLEGE PROGRAMS in the country. Just type "Auburn softball training" in Youtube and see what the girls do. They do a lot of lifting. Yes, you must lift weights to get stronger, faster, more explosive for softball. You should have to do it the smart way - softball-specific.

Coach Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi