Still Working - But Hitting Some Snags

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would have her bp with a split grip. Get a feel of using her hands.
Tip the barrel while moving out and turn the barrel the barrel to go. It gets the swing in sequence without having to try to think about how you are going to get the lower going first.

May 1, 2011
Fire the guy telling her to get loaded up ..... then have her learn to load within a proper sequence.

Nobody told her to do that. Along the way, she has picked herself apart. She was just standing still and then trying to load and swing at the same time. She went ofer her last tournament because she couldn't catch up to anything. Some idiot told her to get loaded up, and she took it to heart. Like I said, a lot of work, and we know it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Nobody told her to do that. Along the way, she has picked herself apart. She was just standing still and then trying to load and swing at the same time. She went ofer her last tournament because she couldn't catch up to anything. Some idiot told her to get loaded up, and she took it to heart. Like I said, a lot of work, and we know it.

It sounds like you might need to have a discussion with her about who she listens to about her swing. If you are taking on the role of her hitting instructor, your voice should be the only one she listens to. Everyone else is to be ignored.

May 1, 2011
It is true that she slices the ball … “cuts across the ball”. Her mechanics have her swinging around her body rather than out from her body. So she’s a slicer rather than an extender.

This hitter has taken steps backwards IMO.

In her prior swing she needed to learn how to turn the barrel. That is still the case … except now she is out of sequence and lacks flow.

Re-learn a proper sequence. Remove the pauses and re-learn to flow. Learn to turn the barrel.

We've talked about all of this too. She's BEEN swinging around her body, and we've tried for so long to get it worked out, but the fact of the matter is, she's just struggling with it. One day we'll get in a cage, and she'll do it perfectly. When she does, it seems like the ball just zips off the bat, and everything just flows really well. We've just got to keep working on it. Good thing is, she's willing. Thanks for the input. I know what I see (which a lot of you are confirming). Just good to get some more eyes on it.

May 1, 2011
Having her start with a straight-up bat position may help encourage a better barrel turn and counter the DBSF habit. Have her work with the thought of firing the lower body (rear hip) first while resisting the turn with her shoulders until her hands trigger the launch of the barrel to contact. Working with a slow-motion swing, the resistance of the shoulders/hands staying back against the turn of the hips should create the feeling of tension in her back.

Believe it or not, the upright barrel is what started the DBSF. When I slowed the video down last night (which led me to posting it), I did notice that it seems like all of her torque and power is spent, and THEN she makes contact. I've heard someone teaching their kid to try and (theoretically) catch the ball with their back hip. Thoughts? I am going to work on her getting to feel that tension. Let it build up and then release. Reminds me of Tiger's old swing. He'd get his spine all coiled up, and when it released, it was violent.

May 1, 2011
I would have her bp with a split grip. Get a feel of using her hands.
Tip the barrel while moving out and turn the barrel the barrel to go. It gets the swing in sequence without having to try to think about how you are going to get the lower going first.

I've had her tip the barrel out (kinda like Bonds if I'm understanding correctly), and she has said that she feels what I'm talking about. Like I've said, it's about getting work in and creating that good muscle memory.

May 1, 2011
It sounds like you might need to have a discussion with her about who she listens to about her swing. If you are taking on the role of her hitting instructor, your voice should be the only one she listens to. Everyone else is to be ignored.

Yep...been there already this week. And then her momma tried to help her, and SHE TOLD HER MOTHER that "daddy told me I'm not supposed to listen to anyone but him." AHHHH!!!!! Not even going to describe how that all went down. It required flowers, let's just say that.

May 1, 2011
Also, notice her stride is going backwards a la Jeff Bagwell? I know he was a great hitter, but I'm thinking that needs to be addressed as well. Don't get me wrong, not going to hit her with everything all at once, but it's another thing that stuck out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Believe it or not, the upright barrel is what started the DBSF. When I slowed the video down last night (which led me to posting it), I did notice that it seems like all of her torque and power is spent, and THEN she makes contact. I've heard someone teaching their kid to try and (theoretically) catch the ball with their back hip. Thoughts? I am going to work on her getting to feel that tension. Let it build up and then release. Reminds me of Tiger's old swing. He'd get his spine all coiled up, and when it released, it was violent.

For my DD - who is also recovering from the dreaded DBSF pattern - the upright bat, along with a high and tight rear elbow (elbow @ shoulder level, hands close to chest) has helped her. Part of the equation, is not letting that barrel drop on the move out, but keeping it up until it's time to turn it to contact. Understanding how the hands are the center of the bat's rotation is critical, so is understanding how the hands are connected to the rotation of the shoulders. My DD still has a long way to go.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yep...been there already this week. And then her momma tried to help her, and SHE TOLD HER MOTHER that "daddy told me I'm not supposed to listen to anyone but him." AHHHH!!!!! Not even going to describe how that all went down. It required flowers, let's just say that.

You should get your DD a little present, too. ;)

It might be a good idea for you and your DW to get on the same page regarding swing cues. I've seen it far too many times with both hitting and pitching where both parents are yelling different cues at their DD, and the poor kid just gets overwhelmed/confused/distracted/irritated. If your DW understands what's is supposed to be happening in her swing, and what cues are effective for what you're working on, that's great. Let her be the one squawking during a game. If she doesn't, she's doing as much good as the guy in the clip you posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC