Why I *still* coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's hotter than hell. I'm covered in dust from the the wind is blowing across the field. My shirt is soaked with sweat.

One girl I had worked extra hard with had struck out three times in the first game and now once in the second.

I'm thinking, "What did I do wrong? What could I have done differently? She did great in practice, and now she's not seeing the ball at all."

The girl comes up for what would probably be her last bat of the day. I tell her the usual: "Watch the bat hit the ball, swing hard, you can do it." She swings. I hear the "thunk"--the unmistakable sound of the ball hitting the bat's sweet spot.

The ball shoots out of the infield like a rocket, over 2B's head , and into the RF alley for a double. She never before hit the ball that hard in practice or a game. The team bats around. She comes up again and hits another line drive up the middle.

After the game, the kid is on cloud 9. She and her grandparents are beaming.

Guess I'll give it another try next week.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ray, that was a great story and thanks for sharing. When you said, "I'm thinking, "What did I do wrong? What could I have done differently? She did great in practice, and now she's not seeing the ball at all." it reminds me that every good coach has those moments when they search for answers to help their players. Sometimes, it just takes time for the player to come through and believe. That smile on her face is one of those moments that makes all of the work worth it.

Oct 4, 2018
We just want so badly for them to experience the joy of success. Be it a hit, a homer, a strikeout, a caught stealing.

Makes your heart expand, that's for sure.

Aug 12, 2014
I had a similar event this season. 12u rec, we had a girl who never played before. Somewhere in mid season she finally got her first hit - lined one over 3b for a double. The grin on her face when she reached second was priceless.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
It's hotter than hell. I'm covered in dust from the the wind is blowing across the field. My shirt is soaked with sweat.

One girl I had worked extra hard with had struck out three times in the first game and now once in the second.

I'm thinking, "What did I do wrong? What could I have done differently? She did great in practice, and now she's not seeing the ball at all."

The girl comes up for what would probably be her last bat of the day. I tell her the usual: "Watch the bat hit the ball, swing hard, you can do it." She swings. I hear the "thunk"--the unmistakable sound of the ball hitting the bat's sweet spot.

The ball shoots out of the infield like a rocket, over 2B's head , and into the RF alley for a double. She never before hit the ball that hard in practice or a game. The team bats around. She comes up again and hits another line drive up the middle.

After the game, the kid is on cloud 9. She and her grandparents are beaming.

Guess I'll give it another try next week.
AWESOME!

Jan 25, 2022
Previous HC and I are in limbo. I probably won't officially coach this year but I still go out and help because my sophomore along with a bunch of kids I already coached are out there. I understand better now why a lot of coaches will stick around until the last of their "first group" moves on.

HC and I cheered so hard a few days ago when a 5th grader (brand new player) at the MS/HS workout got one of her first, if not first, fly ball catches. She had already had 4 bounce out of her glove. Kid is fearless. Takes full speed throws at 2B with full grown girls running right at her, even though she drops 3/4 of them. Just keeps plugging away.

Now it's hard for me to see myself NOT being involved in the years to come, even if it's just instructing pitchers, or helping my LL coach buddies drag or line the field, etc. I never thought I would coach anything...much less girls' teams.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles