Start of 1st year 12u season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Not really negative but allows for weight to get forward

So how does that not cause the player to lose the back side relationship. It Sounds like you had the player simply move their COM forward in their setup and when they gather they have to push it to the back because other wise they would just fall forward.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So how does that not cause the player to lose the back side relationship. It sounds like you had the player simply move their COM forward in their setup and when they gather they have to push it to the back because other wise they would just fall forward.

I don't think of it as a negative move when teaching it.. I am looking for them to make the move and see how it ends while getting forward.. I haven't had to address a student who just falls forward after moving out yet. I think the mind/body tries to seek balance while getting forward.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So, now FYB is not sequence but is a Pass through position. That's what I'm getting at. You can't assume off of a partial clip that stops well short of "Leveraged" position and say it seems or appears that what they are doing is not going to allow them to get said "FYB" by your definition of it. IMO

I cut the Gif shorter, to show what I'm saying. Carpenter sure looks to be controlling with the rear leg

Clemenslee1,

That back leg is in control of the load to stretch. He is stretching, as Manny said forget about the front leg.

Oct 2, 2017
I don't think of it as a negative move when teaching it.. I am looking for them to make the move and see how it ends while getting forward.. I haven't had to address a student who just falls forward after moving out yet. I think the mind/body tries to seek balance while getting forward.
Like a step back drill

Oct 2, 2017
I did that many years ago but it became an abaf movement after a few times of doing it.. I think the concept is similar but tough to control the timing.
Gotchya.

I had DD doing between swings a dry swing. I called it the Chipper Jones drill. Essentially just a toe tap, and separate drill. To give her the feeling and understanding of the timing relationship between the upper and lower. It helped fairly well to a degree. She was able to understand it doing the drill. Which I believe is because it was making her Stabilize the rear leg/hip first. But because of her stance her normal swing she wasn't stabilizing first consistently.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Since you wanted to mimic Lindor. Notice what moves what. Notice the active front side (timing). Notice the rear leg/hip intact. As well as the hands anchored. Notice the differences between what you’re after and this. There are a few big ones. Not trying to knock your work.. it’s just the active TTB and releasing the load before leveraged is causing the drag and late acceleration. These things will need to be addressed eventually. Keep working CL!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I’ll put it this way, might be easier to understand. The stride should load the scap. Not the hands or shoulders. It makes all the difference. Gives you early acceleration and enables short or long hands, whatever the pitch calls for. It’s just a cue of getting the foot down w timing so you can adjust if needed and swing. This puts things in order. Lower before upper (leverage and space) and middle (speed) before or w the hands. Deeper speed w less effort.

You mentioned in one of your vids to keep the front elbow up. This stretch cures that when you get the front foot down ‘early’. It all ties together. Here’s my kid doing the same notice when her stride foot commits her front arm clears space. Her back scap retracts as well. The upper loads bc of the lowers leverage and it’s timing. If you’re late w the stride then all bets are off. This is what it means to ‘get to your spot’.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah