Start of 1st year 12u season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017

Since you wanted to mimic Lindor. Notice what moves what. Notice the active front side (timing). Notice the rear leg/hip intact. As well as the hands anchored. Notice the differences between what you’re after and this. There are a few big ones. Not trying to knock your work.. it’s just the active TTB and releasing the load before leveraged is causing the drag and late acceleration. These things will need to be addressed eventually. Keep working CL!

Thanks for the reply and very good video. I personally don't see Lindor as trying to have a active front side IMO. I know we will probably disagree with that.

Never once stated that this is or would be a goal. What gave you that idea?

Edit: if that's not what you meant by that (I apologize) and just meaning that's the difference in what DD is doing and what he is doing, then I agree. She losing it early.

Hence the original post observation in post #60. That I shared to maybe help someone. When she pre-stabilizes the rear leg/hip, it puts her in a very improved sequence (sequence timing, which is the goal I'm after between the upper and lower). In which a lot issues go away, without much further instruction, including not releasing the load pre-maturely.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
I’ll put it this way, might be easier to understand. The stride should load the scap. Not the hands or shoulders. It makes all the difference. Gives you early acceleration and enables short or long hands, whatever the pitch calls for. It’s just a cue of getting the foot down w timing so you can adjust if needed and swing. This puts things in order. Lower before upper (leverage and space) and middle (speed) before or w the hands. Deeper speed w less effort.

You mentioned in one of your vids to keep the front elbow up. This stretch cures that when you get the front foot down ‘early’. It all ties together. Here’s my kid doing the same notice when her stride foot commits her front arm clears space. Her back scap retracts as well. The upper loads bc of the lowers leverage and it’s timing. If you’re late w the stride then all bets are off. This is what it means to ‘get to your spot’.

How can a stride load anything? I can stride all day long without loading scap, back, shoulders, hands etc.

The front elbow thing, was for simply keeping the front arm off the body and don't keep it pinned there, like she often does. It wasn't being used in a sense of trying to create space etc.

elbow.JPG

I tend to define, getting to your spot as in the timing of the upper body and lower body sequence (which includes the stride), that gets you to the "Leveraged" position. Maybe we are meaning the same thing there. Which if if either the upper or the lower doesn't complete or finish its proper "Load" then all bets are off. You'll either get beat or rush.

From when he starts his "Loading" or "Stretch" sequence all the way to toe touch is "getting to your spot" to me. Don't get there and all bets are off. To me, this is the key phase to hitting and especially timing the ball consistently, to make what happens after fall into place. It's where the most focus needs to take place in making it as consistent and efficient as possible. Especially in younger players IMO

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Read the bold portion, I'm referring to release the load before being leveraged as W stated. That has never been or is a goal.
The word goal was in reference to Lindor. I don't think he said the bolded was your goal, only what he sees going on right now...I will let him clarify though.

Oct 2, 2017
The word goal was in reference to Lindor. I don't think he said the bolded was your goal, only what he sees going on right now...I will let him clarify though.
True, That very well could be what was meant. and if that what is meant, then I totally agree!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks for the reply and very good video. I personally don't see Lindor as trying to have a active front side IMO. I know we will probably disagree with that.

Never once stated that this is or would be a goal. What gave you that idea?

Edit: if that's not what you meant by that (I apologize) and just meaning that's the difference in what DD is doing and what he is doing, then I agree. She losing it early.

Hence the original post observation in post #60. That I shared to maybe help someone. When she pre-stabilizes the rear leg/hip, it puts her in a very improved sequence (sequence timing, which is the goal I'm after between the upper and lower). In which a lot issues go away, without much further instruction, including not releasing the load pre-maturely.

See the lead leg extend out of the coiled position? That’s his active stride timing the ball. The middle moves it forward and the stride stretches it out. As well as leverages for pitch location. Notice the hands are back and then a slight ‘up’? That’s the reactive stretch running from front hip/thigh to the back shoulder, It’s diagonal. It reflexes (scap load) when the front hip ‘separates’ away from the back shoulder.

The stride/weight transfer is a variable. As it should be right? Logically speaking. Do we hit all speeds of pitches and locations from the exact same balanced position? I don’t think so. They look very similar on video but they’re very different. Sometimes steep other times more shallow. Sometimes perfectly balanced. But the act of wanting to time things w the stride makes things work much much better. I would say it’s the single most important piece. It helps the sequence tremendously for one (I can’t repeat this enough). For another it lets a hitter pull or stay straight or wait. Bc whether we like it or not we cannot hold/push our weight back/forward forever and still create adequate speed/quickness to hit multiple pitches. Once the back side is gone the speed is late and only out front. Contrarily if the weight never gets there the speed is early and only deep. We want to have speed when the pitch tells us to. That is timing my friend.

Don’t get caught up in how it looks. Just that it drives timing. It will have more/less flex, get down quicker/slower or stay the same. This is all timing and body positioning or style. The player is ‘timing’ the pitch.

If I was coaching your dd I would plainly say time the front foot to the ball and relax the hands and let them be reactive to what your eyes see. No early TTB. She will do it reactively if she striding to time in sequence. Her hands are good she leads w the knob. Her main issue is she swings her foot down or loses her backside (call it what you want) losing that stretch on the frontside causing drag and late bat speed.

You hear pros say all the time they look outside and react to inside. Purely a timing cue. If inside comes they get the foot down early and ‘turn’ or ‘pull’ it. But you CANNOT time for inside (early) and be later. Weight shift/Stretch doesn’t work that way. You can’t pause the stretch and make it longer wo buckling creating a ripple effect. Doesn’t work for faster pitches. What you will see is there weight stay back more at toe touch and rotation finish the weight shift/swing. Opposite for outside. More of a 50/50 at toe touch and less rotation. What gets misleading is watching videos of pros. Sometimes they anticipate things and there was never an adjustment. Trout seems to stick to his approach. Never really gets extended on an inside pitch. See what you make of Barry words here..

I would find the time and space to work on hitting at a field or park. Front toss is much better than side toss and tee.

Here’s a great view of that stretch reflex through the active stride.

Jun 8, 2016

See the lead leg extend out of the coiled position? That’s his active stride timing the ball. The middle moves it forward and the stride stretches it out. As well as leverages for pitch location. Notice the hands are back and then a slight ‘up’? That’s the reactive stretch running from front hip/thigh to the back shoulder, It’s diagonal. It reflexes (scap load) when the front hip ‘separates’ away from the back shoulder.

The stride/weight transfer is a variable. As it should be right? Logically speaking. Do we hit all speeds of pitches and locations from the exact same balanced position? I don’t think so. They look very similar on video but they’re very different. Sometimes steep other times more shallow. Sometimes perfectly balanced. But the act of wanting to time things w the stride makes things work much much better. I would say it’s the single most important piece. It helps the sequence tremendously for one (I can’t repeat this enough). For another it lets a hitter pull or stay straight or wait. Bc whether we like it or not we cannot hold/push our weight back/forward forever and still create adequate speed/quickness to hit multiple pitches. Once the back side is gone the speed is late and only out front. Contrarily if the weight never gets there the speed is early and only deep. We want to have speed when the pitch tells us to. That is timing my friend.

Don’t get caught up in how it looks. Just that it drives timing. It will have more/less flex, get down quicker/slower or stay the same. This is all timing and body positioning or style. The player is ‘timing’ the pitch.

If I was coaching your dd I would plainly say time the front foot to the ball and relax the hands and let them be reactive to what your eyes see. No early TTB. She will do it reactively if she striding to time in sequence. Her hands are good she leads w the knob. Her main issue is she swings her foot down or loses her backside (call it what you want) losing that stretch on the frontside causing drag and late bat speed.

You hear pros say all the time they look outside and react to inside. Purely a timing cue. If inside comes they get the foot down early and ‘turn’ or ‘pull’ it. But you CANNOT time for inside (early) and be later. Weight shift/Stretch doesn’t work that way. You can’t pause the stretch and make it longer wo buckling creating a ripple effect. Doesn’t work for faster pitches. What you will see is there weight stay back more at toe touch and rotation finish the weight shift/swing. Opposite for outside. More of a 50/50 at toe touch and less rotation. What gets misleading is watching videos of pros. Sometimes they anticipate things and there was never an adjustment. Trout seems to stick to his approach. Never really gets extended on an inside pitch. See what you make of Barry words here..

I would find the time and space to work on hitting at a field or park. Front toss is much better than side toss and tee.

Here’s a great view of that stretch reflex through the active stride.

Whether or not everybody agrees with you or not, you should get a (y) for spending the time to try and help...

Oct 2, 2017

Thumbs up in light of @pattar comment! J/k - Seriously thank you for the time. As well as all who have commented. I'm hear to learn as well as help where I can. Simply sharing the experiences that I'm having. When you say the "middle" moves "IT" out, is IT referring to coiled position?

I don't really have too much issue with the rest.
I pretty much agree here that weight transfer is variable. I agree we do not hit all speed of pitches and locations from the exact same balance position. The only issue my mind is that timing stride as the single most important piece. Players can "stride" but in reality are reaching and aren't actually striding. If that makes sense. I have personally found that wanting to time the actual swing to more benefitial than timing the stride/foot. Granted that the beginning phase of the swing up to toe touch needs become second nature to the player. But that may be splitting hairs.

I do agree that a player cannot hold back/forward forever.

I like the we want to have speed when the pitch tells us too!

Timing for me is when weight transfer occurs. Proper movements in sequence as consistent as possible will allow that to happen and be adjustable.

I agree here that a person including myself should not get caught up in how it looks. That's not my intention. My intention is that most good college players and pro players have a consistent beginning phase across the board all the way to toe touch that they try and get to no matter the pitch. Is it always going to be perfect. No. Tip your hat to the pitcher. Also agree the player is "Timing" the pitch.
What sequence would she be timing, if all is to occur automatically and naturally based on stride?

What is meant by timing it to the ball. Where is that to occur in space and relation to the ball? I know that every pitch is different in speed and location. So how do you time the foot to the ball? Is this just a subconscious thought?

Honestly I've seen that clip of Bonds and personally without the rest of the clip, I'm not sure what he is getting at fully. He was obviously asked a question. Would like to know what was asked.

Agreed, most times schedule and time constraints, don't allow so.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thumbs up in light of @pattar comment! J/k - Seriously thank you for the time. As well as all who have commented. I'm hear to learn as well as help where I can. Simply sharing the experiences that I'm having. When you say the "middle" moves "IT" out, is IT referring to coiled position?

I don't really have too much issue with the rest.

I pretty much agree here that weight transfer is variable. I agree we do not hit all speed of pitches and locations from the exact same balance position. The only issue my mind is that timing stride as the single most important piece. Players can "stride" but in reality are reaching and aren't actually striding. If that makes sense. I have personally found that wanting to time the actual swing to more benefitial than timing the stride/foot. Granted that the beginning phase of the swing up to toe touch needs become second nature to the player. But that may be splitting hairs.

I do agree that a player cannot hold back/forward forever.

I like the we want to have speed when the pitch tells us too!

Timing for me is when weight transfer occurs. Proper movements in sequence as consistent as possible will allow that to happen and be adjustable.

I agree here that a person including myself should not get caught up in how it looks. That's not my intention. My intention is that most good college players and pro players have a consistent beginning phase across the board all the way to toe touch that they try and get to no matter the pitch. Is it always going to be perfect. No. Tip your hat to the pitcher. Also agree the player is "Timing" the pitch.

What sequence would she be timing, if all is to occur automatically and naturally based on stride?

What is meant by timing it to the ball. Where is that to occur in space and relation to the ball? I know that every pitch is different in speed and location. So how do you time the foot to the ball? Is this just a subconscious thought?

Honestly I've seen that clip of Bonds and personally without the rest of the clip, I'm not sure what he is getting at fully. He was obviously asked a question. Would like to know what was asked.

Agreed, most times schedule and time constraints, don't allow so.

‘IT’ is the middle oblique coil. Against a stable rear leg. Hip coil just pushes things out of the ground. Oblique coil moves you. Do this drill standing up. See how her hands stay connected to her belly button? Follow her movements and instructions against a stable back leg.

1657744327864.gif

You time the foot by hitting w the thought of getting the foot down earlier then later. It’s really a thought of getting it down. Ted said he likes a small stride. Most great hitters match this. Once learned you will understand the feeling.

The launch sequence starts when the foot is going down or the hips go down or forward. It can still be in the air but the stretch has begun. I didn’t say your dd needs to sequence I said that’s she needs to be striding for timing IN sequence. Meaning both apply; front foot timing and the sequence.

You time for outside pitches and adjust or get your foot down early for inside pitches that’s the baseline. There is a time and place to anticipate an inside pitch or an off speed pitch.. Pitch recognition and vision play a big part as well.

When you learn this. The sequence should flow like water. Front toss your dd outside pitches so she can learn what timing late is. Then toss inside pitches every 4th pitch and have her react. Don’t let her know they’re coming. She will get jammed at first but will learn how to adjust her stride to be shorter. You merely have to tell her ‘get the foot down earlier’.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1