Bouncing between 10U and 12U struggling hitting now

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2021
Hi,

My daughter played on both her school team which in essence was 12U (minus drop 3rd strike) and is currently on a 10U travel team. At the beginning of the season, she was hitting well on both teams but as of late she can't hit her way out of a brown bag when it comes to 10U (12U finished up a couple of weeks ago). It is really strange because she faced much better pitching / higher velocity on her school team where she was making much better contact.

I am racking my brain to understand the discrepancy, is it the five extra feet (40 vs 35), is she finding the 12-inch ball easier to pick up, or is it a distrust that 10U pitchers throw strikes? She is mostly facing 'C / low-B' level pitching so she isn't trying to hit anything north of 45mph at 10U (but could make contact 50+mph/40feet) with 12U pitchers.

She is a 2010 birthyear so she moves up in August anyway but with a few tournaments left on the schedule, I am trying to right the ship. Or do I just move forward and have her focus on the 12U transition.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar..

Oct 4, 2018
Wait until you play middle school ball soon and move back to 43 feet.

Based on my girls and a handful of others, it's just reps. They can hit from me pitching from 20 feet, 10U at 35, 12U at 40 and middle school at 43. Once they get good at timing this becomes less of an issue.

Might even be in her head a bit. Take her to the cage, pitch from 20 feet and praise her for doing well and explain how if she could do it from 20 and fromt 40, she can obviously do it from 35.

May 6, 2015
DD always fares worse at plate against poor (ie slower) pitching. couple WE ago, her team (14u) is feasting off a pitcher throwing around high forties I would say, DD hits one square off the end cap she was so far in front. when they face good pitching, and rest of team comes down to earth, she is in her comfort zone.

dont sweat it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802