Spin Right Spinner - Are they worth it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
DD has used one for years and usually gets high phrase for her spins and movement, I know Alabama, UT, UTC and Chattanooga State uses them. We use the spinner along with weighted balls, over size balls and double balls. IMO the spinner and double ball gives the best feed back to the pitcher.

I like the spinner better than tape or hockey puck because the spinner is suppose to weigh the same as a softball an advantage IMO.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The nice thing about the spin right is it is the same size and weight as a regulation softball with faux seams where they are on a real softball. But as others have said if cost is an issue there are a ton of very good substitutes.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Money is the not the issue, they are cheap, but from the first time I saw one, with a coach demonstrating overhand throw, overhand wrist flicks, and how to point your palm or whatever to second, I said no way. One of my current pitchers really dislikes it. She uses a ball on the stick at low resistance, high reps, and they can use a grip that is exactly how they would hold it.

You don't have to do wrist flicks with it. That's on the coach, not the devise.

My older DD didn't like it, but mostly because it showed he spin was off.

Oct 10, 2011
You don't have to do wrist flicks with it. That's on the coach, not the devise.

My older DD didn't like it, but mostly because it showed he spin was off.
We bought it originally because of it showing the spin and DD hated it at first. Prior to getting it, they were complaining about her always throwing hard curve balls. We got it about the same time we started Austin's throwing program and bust it out occasionally to use while warming up.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
OLIF is making an apples to oranges comparison as the "ball on a stick" as she calls it provides zero feedback to the user. Whereas the spinrite and its generic equivalents provides instant feedback of the spin along all 3 axes. It is like any other tool, if used properly it is beneficial. If it is used improperly or ignorantly is provides little value.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I use it and like it for certain things. It's great for rise balls and curves, especially in the early teaching phase or if a pitcher has lost the pitch. You could probably use it for a peel drop although I never do.

One reason I like to use it is sometimes it makes it easier for the pitcher to understand how she needs to turn her arm or wrist to throw the pitch. For example, on the curve you want a horizontal spin. It's pretty easy to see on the spinner whether you got that or not; if you did a flat side is up. If you didn't, it's probably tumbling end over end.

It's also good to break up a run of bad pitches when a pitcher gets "stuck." Rather than having her continue to fail and get frustrated you can give her something else to do. Maybe it's just a placebo, but I find sometimes moving on to something different helps get over the mental hurdle.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What I like about it is that unlike a taped ball all a pitcher can do is focus on spins. A taped ball is great but it is easier for them to go off task.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
we always use a striped ball at practice, but am going to give this a try to help with rise. if this snow isn't cleaned up soon and schools opened again i am going to have a pile of boxes on the the step!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd