Spin Right Spinner - Are they worth it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2015
Hello all! New the board, but it's already helped me in so many ways! So a huge thank you to all of you who have contributed thus far!

So my 8 year old decided she wants to learn how to pitch this year. I did some searching on training tools to help with spin and the flick and came across the "Spin Right Spinner". I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this device, good or bad. And more specifically is it worth the $30 (shipped) that Amazon wants for it? To me it looks like nothing more than a plastic hockey puck which is why I'm hesitant to spend $30 on it. Her league is currently using the Worth 10" RIF 1 softballs so the diameter of those balls is about 3.18". Hockey pucks are roughly the same size and weight (3" diameter and 6 oz) but cost only $1.27. I guess I'm just curious what some perspectives are on this as I could get 24 hockey pucks for the same price as one of these Spin Right Spinners :)

Thanks everyone in advance!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Have used the Spin Right, Hockey Pucks, 4" wheels from the hardware store, and taped balls. They all serve a purpose. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I tell my students that unless they are warming up with a game ball or throwing BP they are throwing a taped ball. Because once you have sound body mechanics it is all about the spin. With the Spin Right I believe you get a DVD but I do not recall what was on it. The nice thing about the Spin Right is the balance making it easier to spin. It is up to you if it is worth the $30 which in the grand scheme of things is pretty minimal cost.

Oct 22, 2009
I use a roll of duct tape.

I also use wooden spinners I cut from scrap wood in the circumference of the ball, and wrapped it in duct tape.

And striped balls.

I had a spinner once, but someone walked off with it, so I'm not going to spend that much on one anymore.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
an 8 year old has her hands full with other things and the spin right can wait a few years. Teach her how to throw a ball underhand and worry about throwing a puck for when her hands are big enough to grip it right.

Oct 10, 2011
cheaper

You can sometimes get them cheaper by calling and saying you don't want the dvd. They sometimes have ones they used at clinics for sale for cheap. I think we paid $13.oo

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
an 8 year old has her hands full with other things and the spin right can wait a few years. Teach her how to throw a ball underhand and worry about throwing a puck for when her hands are big enough to grip it right.

^^^Like he said. Get the body mechanics correct then worry about learning how to spin the ball. I see too many young pitchers throwing 6 - 7 different pitches with terrible mechanics and have no clue where the ball is headed.

Sep 10, 2013
bought one, returned it. bought it again, but have not used it much. ball with tape seems to work better for my DD.

Jul 17, 2012

I'm thinking along these lines as well. Can't for the life of me figure out what an 8 year old would do with a spin right spinner other than to use it to work on the overhand throw. I admit I have one.

I, like you, felt like I needed to have every gadget the internet had to offer to teach my then 10 year old how to pitch.

Feb 9, 2015
thank you everyone for your input! You guys are the best!

I think I'm going to take most peoples advice here and forgo purchasing it for now and work more on the fundamentals right now. She's dropping her throwing shoulder and hunching over while she throws so that is the first thing we need to take care of.

Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma