Speaking Of Catcher's Calling Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
If the batter is hugging the plate - inside pitch. If the batter is back from the plate - outside pitch.

This is the most obvious and basic one to give her.

For a bunt, a high fastball, or better yet, a rise ball, makes them pop up or foul. A pitch around the knees seems easier to bunt properly.

This is another one to remember. I haven't had a safe bunt put on me in two years.

In regards to bunt situation. First ball high (or rise if they can do it) The next ball should then be low inside. It jams the batter up as they expect you to throw it high again.

Sep 3, 2009
In regards to bunt situation. First ball high (or rise if they can do it) The next ball should then be low inside. It jams the batter up as they expect you to throw it high again.

I'd totally agree with that. At the younger ages, they're not exactly "sneaky" with the bunt. Alot of times they're up in the front of the box and hold the bat as obvious as the sun in the sky. And if they've gotten the bunt sign once, with no strikes and foul it off, most coaches will have them try again, perfect time to jam them up for strike two. Then with two strikes they'll be swinging away at most anything.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
The first thing we teach our catchers about pitch calling is to decide which pitches are available in the arsenal that day. This should be determined during pregame warmup when your catcher should be paying attention to what is working and what is not working. This is one of the big reasons we want the starting catcher to be the one warming up the pitcher before a game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish