Speaking Of Catcher's Calling Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
So, I've been one of those persons who didn't think twice about a coach calling pitches and sending signs to catcher. But reading lately about giving that resonsibility to the catcher got me to thinking. What does a catcher see in a batter that they would decide on a certain pitch? DD is 12U and has begun to call pitches to one of our pitchers. And I know she doesn't do it because she read the batter. What can I tell DD to watch for and which pitch to call? Pitcher can hit corners and has a decent change-up. Head coach sometimes call 1, 2, 3 to his DD, but lately he's allowed my DD to make those calls. I can't remember which is which at this moment.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Batter has a poor timing or a slow swing, call a fastball. Batters is standing with all of her weight on her heels, call for an inside pitch. In previous at bat (the catcher should be keeping track), batter couldn't time the off speed or change-up, catcher should call for that again. Batter can hit at anything but swings at everything, put the ball into the dirt.

There is alot of strategy depending on where you are in the count, and the batter. The strategy will change with each pitch as well. Her coach should be going over her choices after every inning.

Jul 26, 2010
That chart is a good start. I wouldn't give the whole thing to your catcher/pitcher yet. Take it, and make your own. Focus on the pitches that the pitcher knows, and then focus on two aspects, like stance and game situation. You can add where the batter is in the lineup after that. Make sure they're not just looking at stance, but rather where the batter is at toe-touch. The miscellaneous section is good, but ignore the stuff about drop balls and change ups, the catcher needs to learn how to block those properly and the pitcher should not be worried about throwing them for strike 3, don't bother putting the doubt in their minds.

As they master those aspects, you can start to add more.

-W

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Here's the basic rules my catchers used to call pitches this season - note that all pitches were to be thrown around the knees of the batter:

1st pitch, need a strike, bunt situation - fastball
Poor hitter, free swinger, deep in the box - change
Need ground ball, 0-2 count - drop
Poor contact free swinger - rise

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Here's the basic rules my catchers used to call pitches this season - note that all pitches were to be thrown around the knees of the batter:

1st pitch, need a strike, bunt situation - fastball
Poor hitter, free swinger, deep in the box - change
Need ground ball, 0-2 count - drop
Poor contact free swinger - rise

Sorry - obviously the rise ball was not to be thrown at the batter's knees...;-)

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
If the batter is hugging the plate - inside pitch. If the batter is back from the plate - outside pitch.

I've heard the opposite reasoning as well (in ASA coaching clinic): If the batter is hugging the plate, she's worried about outside pitches: pitch inside once to brush her back, then stay outside which is her weak spot. If the batter is far away from the plate: she's afraid of inside pitches, so pitch her there.

Nov 1, 2009
We started to let our catchers call the games at 10U with a lot of support from the coaches. We would suggest a pitch and they would select the location or could even change the pitch. At 12u we gave them more of the pitch responsibilities but still were out there on each pitch for support. At 14u we only assist the catcher if the team we are playing is extremely talented or we see a too many pitches thrown at the same speed. Pitcher/Catcher discussions are an important part of each half inning.

If your catcher mixes up the pitch calls they will be successful. I would say support your players when you ask them to do something new and this is especially important when the catcher starts to call the games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck