Softball vs lacrosse mask debate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
masks

I talked to a college coach yesterday who doesn't like them but said he wouldn't hold it against a player especially now that some girls have worn them all their life. He did say that he could name at least 3 college coaches that won't consider a girl that does. ..I of course think that's ridiculous.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
DDs PC gives her a hard time about wearing a mask when she pitches. One day after practice he asked her if she was scared she was going to get hit and she told him no. He told her if she wasn't scared then she should take it off. She told him she would take it off when he pitched batting practice without a screen. Needless to say she is still wearing it.

The masks aren't for everyone but I don't believe they show weakness. If a girl wants to wear one then she shouldn't be chastised for doing so. I leave the option to the player.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
I know that you're just trying to protect your players, but I'd caution against mandating safety equipment that hasn't been approved as such by your sanctioning body or any other authority. There's probably a 99.9% that those masks will do what they are supposed to do when worn properly, but you could potentially be liable should anything go wrong (mask slips or fails for some reason).
Face masks are mandated by the Association and League. When we play TB some Tourneys do not require the mask, but I have the girls wear them per association rules.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I wonder how many of those college coaches made it to the NCAA playoffs, or watched them. Ask them about the pitcher from KY or Washington and if they wouldn't have them on their team? I think I know the answer. More and more college pitchers are wearing them and now MLB pitchers are looking at a new helmet/ hat to protect them from line drives. Any college coach making these statements I bet are not top level coaches at top level programs. Old school ways are hard to change.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Do the coaches who oppose the mask have a particular reason for doing so? Do they supposedly cause fielding issues? Or is it the stigma attached with them?

Oct 10, 2011
masks

Do the coaches who oppose the mask have a particular reason for doing so? Do they supposedly cause fielding issues? Or is it the stigma attached with them?
According to this coach, they feel that the girl isn't confident in their fielding abilities. He personally thought that they impaired vision on ground balls.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Part of my opposition to mandates is that it is gender based, at least in the HS discussion. No one is talking about it for HS boys.

In my opinion it isn't gender based it is sport based. Baseball is played at a further distance and players have more time to react to the ball. A person playing FP could be within 30 to 40 feet when playing in, a baseball player is going to be 50 to 60 feet. Distances for bases and pitchers mound 40 to 50% further away in BB. FP moves as fast but is played in a much closer proximity.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
when hockey goalies started wearing masks, a lot of people accused them of being sissies.
now everyone on the ice wears helmets and face shields.
Many sports wear masks. I don't know why it gets a bad rap in softball.
Honestly I think one reason is because softball isn't really understood by the masses. many think of it as baseball for girls.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
I don't think anyone said baseball was safer, I said baseball was played at a greater distance thus allowing more reaction time.

The stats you are looking at for this, do they break down how the face/head injury occurred? Was it a collision, sliding, or getting hit with a batted ball?

Dirt infields would give protections to the infielders on a ground ball but offer no protections against a line drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi