Softball Pitchers: Leave the Ice in the Cooler (Mostly)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Leave the ice in the cooler

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

It’s always interesting (at least to me) when you discovered something you thought you “knew” is actually incorrect. I’ve had several of those moments along the years.

I used to have pitchers start their warm-ups by performing wrist flips. Not anymore – they’re useless at best, and at worst counter-productive to what you’re trying to get to happen.

I used to have players do static stretches – the ones where you stand and pull on a muscle to stretch it, like that one everyone loves where you place one arm across your chest, place the other just above the elbow, and pull. Or where you bend down and try to touch your toes without moving. Then I found out dynamic stretching is far more effective at preparing players to play and prevent injury, because it turns the nervous system on instead of turning it off like static stretches.

Now the latest revelation is that automatically icing after pitching (or any sports activity where there is normal wear-and-tear) may not be such a hot idea (pardon the pun) after all.

This article from Stack, a company focused on training and conditioning, talks about baseball pitchers, but the principle is the same.

The conventional wisdom has always been to ice arms, elbows and shoulders after pitching to help them heal faster and get ready for the next game. But it turns out ice may actually have the opposite effect, slowing the healing process and making a pitcher more prone to ongoing soreness and injury.

The reason is that ice constricts the flow of blood to the affected area, yet blood flow is what is needed to bring healing nutrients to the site, and carry away waste products that get in the way of healing. Again, the article goes into much more detail into the science behind it.

What’s interesting is that most of us have probably heard the acronym R.I.C.E. for treating an injury. It stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Yet now even the physician who coined the acronym, Dr. Gabe Mirkin, has retracted his support for using ice to treat injuries after seeing the research. He’s also retracted his recommendation for rest, preferring movement instead.

It’s the same for “preventive” icing as many pitchers still do after a game, or a day at a tournament in the case of youth sports players. While ice may temporarily relieve pain, it will also slow down recovery. So just automatically icing an arm, shoulder, elbow or other body part for that matter should be removed from a player’s routine.

This makes sense to me because I remember one time when I was in high school and went to the weight room (something I didn’t take advantage of nearly enough when it was free!). One day I overdid it on curls, and a couple of hours later I couldn’t move my arms. Literally.

I thought they were going to be stuck that way forever. What finally helped was taking a very light pole and going through the curling motion. It hurt at first, but it helped break down whatever was happening in my biceps and forearms and I was finally able to move my arms again – mostly pain-free.

So what should you do instead to help arms heal properly? It ain’t rocket science.

Basically, according to the Stack article, the three keys are light activity/exercise, proper nutrition and getting enough sleep. So when your daughter falls asleep in the car on the ride home she’s not being lazy or tuning out your expert post-game evaluation. She’s healing.

You may also want to speak with a physician, trainer or other professional who is up on the latest information and can give you more specific advice. They’ll know a lot more about it than I will, or Dr. Internet for that matter.

But based on the research, the one solid recommendation I will give is that going forward, leave the ice in the cooler. It’ll be better for everyone.

More...

Apr 20, 2015
This has been an interesting trend in medicine over the last several years. Of course, if you're in medicine long enough you will find that the pendulum just swings back and forth. I still use ice for acute injuries as I think we are stupid to discount the immediate pain relief it can provide. However once the acute pain is over I tell my athletes to listen to their bodies and use whatever feels better. As for preventing injury a good massage and rest seems to be the best route.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
I wouldn’t discount ice completely. While several medical professionals agree with the article, the majority of orthopedists still have their patients use ice. Likewise most college trainers will have pitchers ice after they’re done for the day. I don’t know which side is right, so I’d suggest people do their own research or let their kid do whatever they think makes it feel the best.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I agree that ice for acute pain, like when you sprain an ankle, is good for pain relief. I read several articles before writing this blog post and they all seemed to agree that ice for pain was fine.

The difference here, and it was news to me, was not to use ice for recovery - including pitchers icing arms after games because it may actually have the reverse effect from what you want.

I wouldn't necessarily take college trainers telling pitchers to ice after games as proof that it's ok. It could be proof that a lot of college trainers just do what they always do instead of keeping up with the latest scientific information. Heck, up until last week if you asked me I would have told you to ice, even though this information has been out for about five years now. I hadn't kept up with it either. But for anything it's always good to challenge your long-held beliefs and see if the information you have is the best information you can get.

As they say on South Park, I learned something today. Nothing wrong with that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478