Softball vs lacrosse mask debate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Approved Eyewear List (USA Lacrosse)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WLC15.pdf (NCAA Women's Lax Rules)

https://www.medstarhealth.org/sport...es-in-Scholastic-and-Collegiate-Lacrosse.aspx (Sport-specific injury data)

"In 2003, US Lacrosse voted to amend the rules of women's lacrosse to highly recommend the use of protective eyewear. Concerns about product availability, economic burden on programs, and other timing issues led to the decision to wait until January 1, 2005 to mandate protective eyewear usage."

That last link (MedStar) contains specific medical data that was collected over a 4-year period and proved, at least during that window of time, that there were 'significantly' more eye injuries in the women's/girl's game than the men's/boy's game prior to the rule change. Men wore helmets, the women did not. Even though women and girls certainly had the right to use protective equipment, the only reasonable conclusion was that the women's game was more dangerous to the head/eyes of the players than the men's game.

Now, by mandate, all female lax players use eye protection. Some wear goggles, while others wear partial masks. USA Lacrosse has specific testing requirements for approved protective equipment, and there are manufacturers who've decided that making compliant products are good for their bottom line. Masks are a part of their sport's culture now and no one really bats an eye about it. (no pun intended)

As a believer in personal accountability, I do not support a mandate for infielders in fast pitch softball, but before it could become a reality, some group would need to do the same sort of research that they did for women's lacrosse. If I had to predict who might sponsor this research, I'd lean toward an equipment manufacturer seeking to prove that there exists a significant need for their product. However, if such proof was presented, I would be more than open to changing my position on this.

Jan 25, 2011
I'm with you Momo, I listened to the interviews on espn with the coaches the other day and the question about the use of mask came up. All coaches said that they were fine with a player making the choice. But the coaches didn't sound so convincing to me. But as far as testing, I agree that it would be a manufacture of the mask to do it. You know my dd wears a lacrosse helmet because of her injury that she had 2 years ago. Expensive but worth it to me.

Oct 10, 2011
This has become an interesting subject to me as DD got knocked out Monday and we got to spend several hours at the emergency room. Today at my store, a new client came in and said her husband was the Vice President of a college that is interested in DD. She said he was on his way to DC to discuss dealing with concussions in today's young athletes. I told her about DD and said she was worried about wearing a mask to the school's clinic for prospects. Turns out he also used to be a softball coach and if I understood her correctly, is all for mandatory face masks for infielders. It will be interesting to meet him in the future and hear what he has to say about the issue.

Dec 20, 2012
512x.jpg

So will all these girls be required to wear masks as well?? A player/coach in the dugout would be more likely to be hit by a ball than player in the field. This is the HOF stadium, ASA Gold Nationals and many other JO tournaments are played here as well. Dugouts like these are common across the country in all ages and schools. So if you start requiring a mask in the field then the whole design of dugouts will will have to be reconfigured. Not to mention that there are more head injuries and concussions caused from player collisions than ball contact, so should that be addressed as well? And trying to compare softball to lacrosse is a stretch. Like comparing football to soccer.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
In field hockey, the data seem to suggest that masks reduce serious eye/socket injuries, but result in far more facial lacerations, etc. Many college programs have decided it's not worth it to require them.

View attachment 5920

So will all these girls be required to wear masks as well?? A player/coach in the dugout would be more likely to be hit by a ball than player in the field. This is the HOF stadium, ASA Gold Nationals and many other JO tournaments are played here as well. Dugouts like these are common across the country in all ages and schools. So if you start requiring a mask in the field then the whole design of dugouts will will have to be reconfigured. Not to mention that there are more head injuries and concussions caused from player collisions than ball contact, so should that be addressed as well? And trying to compare softball to lacrosse is a stretch. Like comparing football to soccer.

I don't know the answer to your question but was wondering what statistics you are using for this statement? They keep stats for hard hit balls for players that are in the fields playing vs. players in the dugout? I might be mistaken and I've been to a ton of games from 10U through college ball and this is just my personal opinion but seems to me there are way more hard hit balls in the field of play vs. hit in the dugout. Not disagreeing with you just think the statement is a bit skewed. I have 2 DD's that both play middle infield and one also pitches the pitcher uses a mask while pitching and playing infield by her choice not ours my other DD doesn't. To me if they would make it mandatory I could care less and if they don't make it mandatory fine with me.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
image.jpg

Kinda off topic but Baylor added a top and front netting to their dugouts. I'm not sure when they added it. I don't think they were there last year but they were on at the regionals this year. Doesn't look too complicated.

As far as the mask rule goes, I'd really just wish their was less stigma against wearing them. Since the girls are not going to make millions playing ball, why risk it.

It's cool to see UK's Nunley wearing one in the circle in WCWS.

I can also imagine a LOT more collisions in lacrosse than softball. But I've never really watched it so I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
And trying to compare softball to lacrosse is a stretch. Like comparing football to soccer.
My post was about some of the mechanics of a major rule change in women's lacrosse. Although both sports involve sticks and fast-moving balls, I made no suggestion that the 2 sports are similar. I'm sorry that you were confused.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I'm with you Momo, I listened to the interviews on espn with the coaches the other day and the question about the use of mask came up. All coaches said that they were fine with a player making the choice. But the coaches didn't sound so convincing to me. But as far as testing, I agree that it would be a manufacture of the mask to do it. You know my dd wears a lacrosse helmet because of her injury that she had 2 years ago. Expensive but worth it to me.

I only remember hearing Lawson and Moore talking about it. Lawson sounded iffy, but said she didn't care if they were getting the job done. Moore on the other hand was a proponent of both the fielding and hitting mask after seeing Hosack's facial damage first hand.

Dec 20, 2012
I don't know the answer to your question but was wondering what statistics you are using for this statement? They keep stats for hard hit balls for players that are in the fields playing vs. players in the dugout? I might be mistaken and I've been to a ton of games from 10U through college ball and this is just my personal opinion but seems to me there are way more hard hit balls in the field of play vs. hit in the dugout. Not disagreeing with you just think the statement is a bit skewed. I have 2 DD's that both play middle infield and one also pitches the pitcher uses a mask while pitching and playing infield by her choice not ours my other DD doesn't. To me if they would make it mandatory I could care less and if they don't make it mandatory fine with me.

Saying it is more likely because the players in the field are expecting a ball to be hit to them. In the dugout they are cheering, talking, digging in their gear, and things of that nature. Not to say a ball is more likely to be hit to them, just more likely to be hit if one is hit their way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi