Softball vs lacrosse mask debate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Comparing the requiring the use of fielding masks in the field with fielding masks in the dugout is like comparing football to soccer.

The biggest problem with masks is that people who don't get it insist on criticizing those players who do.
The announcers feel it's necessary to explain why a player is wearing a mask "..because it just makes her, well, more comfortable."

If there wasn't such stigma placed on it, there wouldn't be any discussion.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
I have no problem with wearing mask, I require it of my infielders. Just got a picture from an acquaintance making my point, pitcher that has two fractures of the orbital bone, possible nasal cavity problems and twelve to thirteen stitches. She wasnt wearing a mask and took the first pitch she threw off her face.

Dec 28, 2011
My DD is a second year 14u player, pitches and plays first base. All infielders on her team are required to wear masks or mouthpieces. She has always worn a mask, most of them do. Recently her team acquired an assistant coach who is an ex-college player. The girls all look up to her, and she is great with the girls, really knows the game and how to motivate them. On her first day with team, however, she made no bones about it, masks make you look weak and college coaches don't like them. I was a bit deflated when my dd told me this. She has now asked to wear the mouthpiece instead of mask. Although we have always been strict about wearing the mask, we are allowing her to try going without it, at least in practice. Hoping she doesn't learn a lesson the hard way. I see both sides of issue, but have always opted for safety first.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I don't hear anyone saying anything about Florida's coach wearing a helmet while base coaching? If my making my DD wear a mask makes me weak then I dare say come see me in person and tell me that face to face. Then I'll ask if you would rather me punch you in the face as hard as I can with or without a mask. I'm willing to bet that all but the uber macho and internet tough guys will say without....that's why I said in person.

Either wear one or not. It's no ones business but each individuals or their parents until they can make and pay for decisions on their own. Inherit weakness has nothing to do with it.

Feb 3, 2011
I have no problem with wearing mask, I require it of my infielders.

I know that you're just trying to protect your players, but I'd caution against mandating safety equipment that hasn't been approved as such by your sanctioning body or any other authority. There's probably a 99.9% that those masks will do what they are supposed to do when worn properly, but you could potentially be liable should anything go wrong (mask slips or fails for some reason).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had a 10 yo pitcher hit in the face last week. She wears a mask. She just kept on pitching. I had an 8th grader miss a bad hop, w/o her mask on and it left seam marks above her nose and she is talking about not going back.Gabby.jpg

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
There is a point in this thread struggling to get out, but I have yet to figure out what it might be. Softball is extremely dangerous, stay home?

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I had an 8th grader miss a bad hop, w/o her mask on and it left seam marks above her nose and she is talking about not going back.

DS has gotten hit in the face numerous times playing baseball; bad hops from ground balls, pickoff attempts, even fouled a ball off his own nose once. Never once threatened to quit playing. IMO, it's all about how much they want to play and how you teach them to react to this stuff.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
The senior pitcher for Washington wears a lacrosse mask when she plays after sustaining a devastating facial injury during practice. I submit that these girls take waaaaay more ground balls at practice than they do in games. I think it is so poignant when an upper level player is asked why they wear a mask it is because they sustained an injury instead of wearing one to protect themselves from injury. The right mask is important too. Those plastic pieces of crap should be outlawed...saw one blow up in a girls face playing 2nd base after taking a ground ball off it.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
My DD is a second year 14u player, pitches and plays first base. All infielders on her team are required to wear masks or mouthpieces. She has always worn a mask, most of them do. Recently her team acquired an assistant coach who is an ex-college player. The girls all look up to her, and she is great with the girls, really knows the game and how to motivate them. On her first day with team, however, she made no bones about it, masks make you look weak and college coaches don't like them. I was a bit deflated when my dd told me this. She has now asked to wear the mouthpiece instead of mask. Although we have always been strict about wearing the mask, we are allowing her to try going without it, at least in practice. Hoping she doesn't learn a lesson the hard way. I see both sides of issue, but have always opted for safety first.

IMHO- a mouth piece in softball is nothing more than whistling by the graveyard.

You pay good money to the program- I would not "bend over" just because a new (inexperienced) coach is taunting them...I would complain to whoever runs the team, especuially where your DD is comfortable wearing the mask. (some kids who don't want to wear it blame it for their errors).

we also just acquired a 3rd coach who is inexperienced at coaching but played a lot. she is great with the girls but thinks she knows it all. As time goes on, I've heard her giving advice to the players that is contrary to what we have been teaching, including her opinion on wearing masks. Young assistant coaches are great in some respects, but remember it's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi