So the LL coach kicked this young man off of the team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Wow....sorry to hear about this, I was a local LL vice president myself once upon a time and a can tell you without any hesitation whatsoever this is 100% against the mission and purpose of LL and should never be tolerated, the only exception would be for a serious disability, which is not the case here. The thing I don't understand is that when I was involved in LL and now with PONY everyone understands the deal, the regular season is fun and for everyone then once the regular season stops a new season starts. All Stars is completely hand picked only the best of the best (or as much as politics allows) practicing two and three hours a day (two a days or practice then the cages is not uncommon) 5 or 6 days a week and squeeze in a tournament or two against travel/select teams for about a month before the organizational tournaments begin.

I am currently coaching a 14U rec team and I have a girl who before a few weeks ago had literally never picked up softball or a bat, it is going to be a slow process but by the end of the season I think she will be OK...does that mean she will play 3B and bat cleanup...no but she will learn the basic skills and rules of the game and hopefully make a whole new group of friends...isn't that what rec is all about anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2012
It sounds to me that this is not an offically sanctioned Little League organization. If it is they should lose their charter because everything I've read so far goes againts their by-laws. Also, if in fact the case was that he was a "safety concern" and the organization is willing to field a team of 10-12 similar players sounds absolutely asinine! These folks certainly should not be coaching or running a league for that matter. Hopefully they find a spot for this young man and he doesn't lose his love for the game!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is definitely LL sanctioned. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. I will tell the boy's parents that they should issue a formal complaint with the Director.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Unless there is a huge discipline issue with the kid in questions, and it sounds like that is a responding no in this case. There is no reason to ever kick a kid off a LL team. This coach should absolutely lose his coaching privaleges over this. An all-star or travel team is a different issue but standard LL season is every kid plays as far as I know.

Like David Carter above my oldest DD plays in a rec league and we have a 14 year old first timer. Her swing is hideous but rather than tell her she sucks get off our team, we are putting in extra work with her on the tee and in the cage to get her somewhat up to speed and teaching her to bunt which she's showing some aptitude at doing. While she's not going be one of the better girls on the team her throwing and catching have already progressed to a point where she is somewhat competent at both and she even made a play at 2nd base in our recent scrimmage.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I had my baseball guy, my father, read this thread.

His league has some stupid rule that if you are 12 years old you can play in the majors/ advanced division if you want to. One of his jobs is to call some of the parents of players after tryouts to explain that this might not be the best baseball experience for their player. There is a home for them and are glad they signed up but maybe the lower division would be a better experence… There is a reason I am not making the calls but I think you know what I am trying to say.

Forum rules will not let me post fathers opinion about the coach.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The mother called the league President tonight. He was unaware that any boys were being moved off of teams. He is "working on the problem."

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You know, folks, whatever the sport, sometimes it just isn't for everybody and everybody isn't for it. And the last time I checked, there is no "right" to force any sport to allow someone to participate just because they want to participate.

Yes, it would be fantastic if there was a place for everyone who wants it, but what if there isn't? I've seen teenagers, hell, adults who couldn't catch a softly tossed ball if they had 10 hands, let alone two. Or even learn how to hold a bat, let alone swing it. And I'm referring to people who were actually trying to learn how to play.

And if I remember correctly (and it may not apply at all levels), but doesn't LL have a mandatory playing time rule for all players? Would that not mean that a team cannot just carry a player and allow selective participation even if it is for the good and protection of the child? And who is going to be blamed when a player who probably doesn't really belong on the field with some of the more skilled players gets hurt simply because s/he could not perform at that level?

Folks, as means as some want to make it sound, sometimes being cut from a team is in everyone's best interest including the child being cut. If this child truly does not have the skills to be there, s/he probably shouldn't be.

Amy, hope you are able of helping this young man, but I have a question. With all your experience in multiple games, if you came to the conclusion after so many sessions that maybe he just doesn't have the ability to develop the necessary skills, what would you do?

Last edited: