Potential Team Mutiny; Horrible Assistant Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
if HC were to be out, so there needs to be some skill there (I know I certainly couldn't do that never having played ball before).

By 16u the players don't actually need to be coached during the games. Someone just needs to set the lineup, make substitutions, and make sure the umpire interprets the rules correctly (protests).

Coaches have very little impact on the outcome of the game.

Oct 4, 2018
Not sure if this is meant to be snarky or not, but I suspect that is what will happen. The original AC's wife is actually a coach herself and could easily step in. It needs to be someone who is adept at calling pitches if HC were to be out, so there needs to be some skill there (I know I certainly couldn't do that never having played ball before).

Nope, no snark intended. Sorry for not being more clear. Perhaps I didn't need to put "good" in quotes.

Just saying a recommendation for a change is usually better received when a solution is offered along with it.

Jul 14, 2018
By 16u the players don't actually need to be coached during the games. Someone just needs to set the lineup, make substitutions, and make sure the umpire interprets the rules correctly (protests).

Coaches have very little impact on the outcome of the game.

This reminded me of a good piece on FloSoftball a few months back. Dr. Kaila Holtz, former Olympian, had this to say about a coach's role during a game:

"During a competition, effective coaches actually say very little. I remember 2018 National Champion Florida State Head Coach Lonni Alameda telling me at the beginning of my coaching career, “Homework is done at practice, in the game just let them play.” If you’re a parent or player looking for a good coach, go to a game and listen. Do the coaches observe and direct players as needed? Or are they out on the field yelling adjustments every play? Micromanaging the game sends out signals of mistrust and incompetence. Game-yelling is a huge red flag for me."

The rest of the story is here:

Mar 13, 2010
You can always tell an average coach as they’re adjusting things in games. You can give hints and directions but no changing batting or anything. That’s what training is for!

Oct 4, 2018
You can always tell an average coach as they’re adjusting things in games. You can give hints and directions but no changing batting or anything. That’s what training is for!

I'd make an exception for the very young girls and teams. There are many times when games are treated like practice because you just haven't had enough practices yet.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am absolutely average or maybe even below average. OK so below average. I love it when someone quotes a college coach at an elite instutiution talking about coaching when they recruit the top athletes in the country. I wonder what they would do if they got Sue off of the streets that has played 2 years of softball. Finally, maybe I should sit on my butt and just watch. Then again, I'll earn my check.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I would always tell players that practice time was my time, and game time was their time. But sometimes you do have to say something, especially if it looks like the player doesn't understand why something was a bad decision. You don't have to be mean about it, but the sooner the correction can occur after the issue, the more likely it is to be meaningful.

I do agree with Cannonball though about the perspective of college coaches. Especially those that haven't coached at any other level. What they do may work well with 19-22 year olds, but it may not translate to a 12 year old. Or even a 16 year old who isn't depending on softball to pay for her schooling.

Oct 4, 2018
Ive been an AC for many years, and the few times I have approached an umpire, they wouldn't talk to me, only the HC....

I like being an Assistant Coach. Perfect spot for me. Avoid most of the parent gossip/griping, share my knowledge and love of the game with the girls, get a bit of exercise. It's a nice life.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Ive been an AC for many years, and the few times I have approached an umpire, they wouldn't talk to me, only the HC....

They don't engage with him, but he comes charging at them and yelling at the tops of his lungs. And he's about 6'3", 300 pounds. BIG guy. Wouldn't want him charging at me. Hard to believe he never managed to get himself ejected (yet).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi