So the LL coach kicked this young man off of the team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So they are going to put all the kids that need extra attention and put them on one team? It's hard to believe that they would do that.

ROFLMAO. You must be new around these parts.

[video=youtube_share;LuFCaIAnETk]http://youtu.be/LuFCaIAnETk[/video]

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Sounds like they need to talk to the District Administrator even the Regional Director. I was very involved with Little League for years. It was VERY difficult for a coach to remove a child from the team, as it should be.

What level is this child playing? Majors, AAA or AA ball?

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
LL has specific rules as to how teams can be chosen ( even for regular/rec season)..and this doesn't fall into any of those methods.

My suggestion is Mom escalate this to the District Admin, and better if she can get a hold of some parents of the other kids that have been put on this "special" team and get them to do the same. If the DA keeps getting calls, with threats to escalate to the regional office or beyond, he/she will have no choice but to take action.

Sometimes pressure from above is the fastest way to deal with a power-hungry knucklehead President gone rogue.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
He is almost 11. This was a majors team. He must have been chosen in the draft.

We are expecting cold weather and rain, starting Friday. But, his mom said that he can come to lessons.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
If the league is not acting in line with their Constitution and By-laws (as it pertains to players selections, team formation, assesments, etc.) then the league should be reported to the District Administartor and/or the Regional Office. Not Abiding by their By-Laws could put the league on probabtion; possibly losing their charter. The mother should first familiarize herself with these rules, then contact the Player-Agent as he/she is the one who handles these types of issues.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Sorry Amy it happened to your friend.

Hate to say this, but you/they can call whoever you want to keep this young man on that team, but forcing the coach to take him back will only make the experience 10x's worse. Unfortuantly even if you can get the coach "out", all the players know what's going on and boys can be brutal, like a pack of wild dogs.

What I would do is force their hand to either let the coach go and/or make sure this type of politics doesn't happen again. Make a big stink, but you may have to "eat" this year for the sake of the child's mental state.

Amy I applaud you for leading a helping hand. Maybe, if time and distance allows, you could "guest" coach the new team some to give them a competitive edge. ( Bad News Bears comes to mind )

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I just got this message from one of my girl's mothers.

"So Isaiah's coach kicked him off his team today because he was "worried about his safety" but basically Isaiah wasn't good enough for his team. Then he sends me an email after the fact saying "sorry it was just obvious that he didn't have the skill set needed to be on our team and didn't seem to understand what was going on with his teammates"

Is LL the same as rec ball? I did not think a coach could kick anyone off a rec ball team....the whole purpose of rec ball is to have fun, learn the game and hopefully give the kids a positive experience so they want to continue playing!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Is LL the same as rec ball? I did not think a coach could kick anyone off a rec ball team....the whole purpose of rec ball is to have fun, learn the game and hopefully give the kids a positive experience so they want to continue playing!

Well yes and no... Yes LL is rec ball.... but on the baseball side they all think they are going to the LLWS and are going to be on ESPN so the Majors division is always a pack of jerks who all think they have the next great thing on their team. I am the VP Softball for a LL locally and 75% of the board meetings are in regards to the baseball side on who is cheating who and who is playing on what team and so on. It gets ugly and there have been at least 2 fights at the Majors draft in past seasons (and this is a league that has never got out of State)

Despite this, LL does take this very seriously when reported. Creating the 'Bad News Bears' team for the players who HAVE to be on Majors (which are the league age 12 kids - this kid MAY be one) to try and bolster your all-stars/league champion is a sure way to have your charter revoked.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I hate that his has happened and am glad I'm not involved with that org. Good on ya Amy for offering to help.

If you have coached rec or your kid played rec you can recall some of these kids. I would cringe a little when I'd see them dropped off, often against their will and reluctant to try the things you were suggesting to work their way in. That said, they usually brought the greatest joy and pleasure to my coaching experience when they hit or made a play, when the team heaped praise on them and they beamed the brightest smile of the year. No I wasn't overly successful with each of them but a few I'll remember for a long time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid