SNF drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
The drill I call "check swing" is very similar to the "torque" drill. It is one of the most productive drills I use. For one example, batters who don't use their lower half very quickly get past that issue. There are other great benefits, also.

As far as locking the front leg, that should only happen as it would in a normal swing.

Why we are posting video, any chance you have the check swing drill on video?

SL

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
The "torque drill" is one of the most swing damaging drills that I've ever seen. If a horrible hitter does that drill, they may improve from where they started just because of the fact that they are making some effort to improve.

The truth is that the "torque drill" is one of the worst drills a hitter can do. Lock the front leg?... Wow. Please stay away from that!!!!

Jim, what is/are the major flaw(s) with the torque drill? I just Googled the torque drill and the first two video demos were executed differently. One was more pull-from-the-front-side (like Epstein's) and the other was more push-with-your-back-hip. I still like SnF better than either version of this, but what are the issues with the torque drill? Thanks.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Torgue drill/deltoid drill (Epstein ) maybe a good drill for a starting 8-9 y/o. The biggest problem is when the hitter now has to take the bat off of the deltoid/side of shoulder. Now your back to trying to use the hands correctly-'turn the barrel'.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Jim, what is/are the major flaw(s) with the torque drill? I just Googled the torque drill and the first two video demos were executed differently. One was more pull-from-the-front-side (like Epstein's) and the other was more push-with-your-back-hip. I still like SnF better than either version of this, but what are the issues with the torque drill? Thanks.

The version I was commenting on was the Epstein drill. Training the front side to pull off during the launch portion of the swing will lead to less bat-speed where you want it as well as poor ball flight off the bat (if you make contact). I will leave it at that, but there are countless issues that that drill will cause.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Torgue drill/deltoid drill (Epstein ) maybe a good drill for a starting 8-9 y/o. The biggest problem is when the hitter now has to take the bat off of the deltoid/side of shoulder. Now your back to trying to use the hands correctly-'turn the barrel'.

Probably the worst thing to do to an unsuspecting, coachable child. The younger the child the more impact these initial drills will have on them. You are basically writing a code into their fresh brains to perform the swing with extremely poor habits.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
The drill I call "check swing" is very similar to the "torque" drill. It is one of the most productive drills I use. For one example, batters who don't use their lower half very quickly get past that issue. There are other great benefits, also.

As far as locking the front leg, that should only happen as it would in a normal swing.

What are your thoughts on locking the front leg? When should it happen? Should the hitter try to make it happen?

May 16, 2010
Jbooth
What muscles fire in this snf drill being performed by Rich and son?

In order after you coil.
I feel upper leg, butt, lower back, foot

SL

They are swinging like the golfer with only the rear leg. They are using 100% external rotation of the rear femur. No abduction at all.

They are trying to rotate on the top of the back leg, which is not anything at all like an MLB hitter does.

The rear obliques contracting to hold the twist, are what you feel in the lower back. Then the front obliques contract to pull the shoulders and hands around. They simultaneously use the forearms and wrists with a pull rearward action, to whirl the bat away from them. Which is another action not at all like what MLB hitters do.

MLB hitters push off the back leg, turn the shoulders and throw the barrel away from them without pulling rearward. It's what they say they do, and what can be seen when you look at the bio-mechanics of their bone movements.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
swingbuilder's suggestion to my DD Laura.
If you would have her push externally with the big toe side of her foot when she is ready to swing her rear leg would be so much more explosive. It would bring a huge smile to your face!
I tried to tell her to fire her upper rearleg(IR femur)knee first as she 'turned the barrell'/fired but that didn't seem to click.
Did this drill with this cue from swingbuilderIf you would have her push externally with the big toe side of her foot when she is ready to swing her rear leg would be so much more explosive. It would bring a huge smile to your face!
and it seemed to click. I even demo to show her.
I hope this helps.

That's exactly what wellPhyt and I have told you. All MLB hitters push off of the ball of the back foot. And, it is done with abduction and some external rotation. You push, you don't twist on top of the rear leg. The twist is a by-product of pushing out of the coil.

Summary;

Coil (IR) then just push off the back leg. Feel the push at the ball of the back foot. Keep the back knee bent.

May 16, 2010
I dont see Bustos fireing her big toe first... I see top of leg, butt, lower back.

Anyone agree with this?

SL
That's because she isn't doing anything like the SNF drill, with her back leg. She is using her leg as she normally does, she is just directing the bat away from her body toward right-center as she throws the barrel.

She is abducting and directing her back knee and hip in the direction she wants the ball to go. She isn't twisting on back leg, or drastically externally rotating the back leg, as is taught in the SNF drill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad