Size and velocity.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I can imagine someone telling the moneyball guy he was wasteing his time with all his useless stats.
Yes, there are many intangeables in pitching, just as there is in any athletic activity, but don't be fooled, size does matter. Height, weight, and velocity are measureable.
Perhaps a chart like this would be good to pinpoint a girl who is underacheiving. I don't know how fast my dd throws but if I did I would like to know how she stacks up. IMHO, any parent/coach that would use a stat like this to disqualify a child at a young age has bigger issues than velocity.
I have seen a chart that shows how fast Jenny Finch threw at certain ages and that is amazing. I can imagine few equal her velocity but everyone can't be the best(that is not a justification for mediocrity, just a fact).
Good luck and please post your findings.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Most of the time, from parents AND instructors, you will hear a pitchers top speed, what they start off throwing in the 1st inning.

You also must consider the cruising speed. What speed do they maintain at the 3rd, 5th and 7th innings.

I have seen pitchers that could throw 65 at the start of the 1st and drop to 55 at the end of the first and be at 50 after that, if not a little less.

I have also seen pitchers maintain 50 to 53 the entire game and not even break a sweat.

The more slender the pitcher (next to NO body fat) the faster they always seem to 'poop out'. Not enough body fat to draw on for energy. That also seemed to be a big factor in maintaining pitching speed.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yep. I know the 2 that you are referencing on the ASU roster and they certainly aren't called on to pitch. So, if you never pitch in a game, are you a pitcher? ASU's pitcher is 6'1 and her reliever is 6'2. UofA, would be about the same. Plus, these tall girls can hit, when called upon.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yep. I know the 2 that you are referencing on the ASU roster and they certainly aren't called on to pitch. So, if you never pitch in a game, are you a pitcher? ASU's pitcher is 6'1 and her reliever is 6'2. UofA, would be about the same. Plus, these tall girls can hit, when called upon.
The point is, they are on the roster. Ahead of a bunch of other girls who are 6' tall who were not asked to continue with softball after HS. Too many people want to limit a player based on size. It may be a disadvantage, but it doesn't mean size can't be overcome, just like being 6'2" and 185 doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be better.

Oct 22, 2009
I like this question.
Just a comparison of body size/types, to give you a "general" idea of possibilities.

Here is my experiences.
*Tallest I know, was a 6' 1" Canadian, that my DD's university picked up thinking they could --"Turn her into something." She never threw past 55mph. They eventually let her go. She was thin and had slow body movement.

*One of my DD's good friends pitched for a University, she was 5'2" and threw around 57mph with great movement. She was their #2 but was still on full scholarship. She was thin but with fast body movement.
*A student of mine who is a freshman now at her university is 5'3" and tops out at 60mph. She is short but stocky with a fast body.

*My tallest student a 14yr old and 5'8" threw 57mph. She left to go to another instructor to try and get more speed, but she's been with the other instructor for a year and half and has not gotten any faster.
She is large and has slow body movements.

*My tiny one I have right now that throws the hardest is an 11yr old, and I just asked her her height last week because of an early discussion here about tiny pitchers and she said she was 4' 8". She throws 51mph. She is of average build but very quick movements.

Oct 22, 2009
I can imagine someone telling the moneyball guy he was wasteing his time with all his useless stats.
Yes, there are many intangeables in pitching, just as there is in any athletic activity, but don't be fooled, size does matter. Height, weight, and velocity are measureable.
Perhaps a chart like this would be good to pinpoint a girl who is underacheiving. I don't know how fast my dd throws but if I did I would like to know how she stacks up. IMHO, any parent/coach that would use a stat like this to disqualify a child at a young age has bigger issues than velocity.
I have seen a chart that shows how fast Jenny Finch threw at certain ages and that is amazing. I can imagine few equal her velocity but everyone can't be the best(that is not a justification for mediocrity, just a fact).
Good luck and please post your findings.

I keep a chart on all my pitchers of speed thrown at every age. I clock them 4 times a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207