Size and velocity.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Does anyone have a link to a table or some numbers on pitching velocity that does not correspond to age, but instead to physical size?

There are bat sizing tables that use both height and weight as parameters. Is there something similar for pitching velocities that would be more accurate than the 'age' tables?

If not, I might be willing to put together some data during the off-season. This would give both early bloomers and late bloomers a better yardstick from which to measure whether they are near their physical/genetic potential velocity-wise. Comparing by age alone isn't apples to apples, or even close.

Thanks,
VW

Nov 29, 2009
There is no real correlation between size and pitching speed. I have seen small girls who are REALLY explosive with great pop on the ball I have seen 5' 10" girls who could practice against a pane of glass. It all comes down to physical, mental and genetic intangibles that can't be measured. The NFCA does camps every year and they post the pitching speeds for HS girls. But there are no physical data that goes along with it.

May 25, 2010
Sparky's right. Some kids get it and some kids don't when it comes to knowing how to make their body do what they want it to. All the charts and diagrams in the world won't make a girl's arm move faster at the point of release. You cannot possibly begin to quantify maximum potential when it comes to what any sort of bloomer will become athletically.

Sounds like a perfectly good waste of your time. Go for it.

Nov 29, 2009
I have 4 good examples for the OP of girls I'm currently working with.

I have a girl who is 13. She is 5' 10" tall. She can barely throw the ball 40 mph.

I have a girl who is 12. She is 5' 2" tall. She is a muscular, athletic girl who is throwing multiple pitches and easily hits 50-51 mph. Still waiting to see where she ends up physically in the next couple of years.

I have a girl who is 12. She is 5" 7" tall. She is a the same as above but throws the ball at 55 mph. She too has multiple pitches. She is extremely strong and naturally fluid with her pitching motion.

I have a girl who is 13. She is 5' 6" tall. She is thin and struggles to throw the ball at 45 mph.

So you see it's not just a size thing. Body type also figures into the mix. Then the huge unknown is quick twitch muscle fiber. Of all the girls I'm working with girl #3 is the one who is going to be the one-in-twenty who turns out to be a real dominate pitcher. She is starting her growth spurt and looks like she will end up with the classic power pitcher body type.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
vdubya, to answer your question: No, I'm not aware of any stats on size and velocity. It would be great for you to put together some stats.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I love the idea that there is a correlation to body size and velocity. I can't tell you number of times my dd has pitched against a girl who is taller and out weighs her by 50 lbs, who doesn't throw anywhere near as fast. Sometimes you can actually hear the coaches telling the girls, "see how thin she is, move up the box" and then later "why are you all late on your swings?"

I think one of the critical elements of speed on pitches is core strength, you can't put a tape measure to it.

May 25, 2010
This would give both early bloomers and late bloomers a better yardstick from which to measure whether they are near their physical/genetic potential velocity-wise.

You love your idea, because you love your idea. I hate your premise, because of what's implied. "Well, golly Sheila, you're only 5-2, 102 lbs, so you can expect to reach a maximum velocity of x, but only after you've achieved 'optimal mechanics', the coefficient of which we shall call o. The maximum value of o is 1."

I've seen tall, thin pitchers throw really fast, but have seen just as many who were really slow and still more who were about average for their age range. I've seen short, fat pitchers throw the same. I've seen medium height pitchers with stocky-looking builds throw the same as the first two groups. Try quantifying 'stocky-looking'.

Telling a young person they can expect to reach an adult height of 5-4 because both parents are about that tall is one thing, but telling them they should only ever expect to pitch 42mph is another. Other than sleeping and eating right, height isn't something one can really achieve on their own through hard work combined with genetic predisposition. Height is almost entirely up to one's genetics.

You should do your data collection, though, since you feel there's value in it. Maybe only scientists will ever see the information, but from a conceptual standpoint only, I don't like it, because there are just way too many variables which cannot be measured that result in huge deviations in velocity among pitchers of similar body types, ages, and years of experience.

You are entitled to your fun, though.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Since upper tier colleges will only take pitchers of about 5"7" up (I can think of two who are in college one 5.5 and one slightly taller, and no longer pitching), it may not be the velocity, but it IS:

-mound presence--tall kids stand out when recruiters look at hundreds
-Longer stride gets closer to the batter
-longer levers

This does not mean that you should give up if short, but you do have to work on the above to the best you can. One thing you can savor is under the so-called height and size is that you will be underestimated so play that out to your advantage.

All so-called small pitchers need to get in the gym and lift weights from 14 on.

Tall athletic kids who are not living up to their potential, that is a concern.

If the data were by individual college pitcher, let's say, it would not carry any stigma with it.

Arizona State has 2 pitchers listed on their roster as under 5'7", University of Michigan has 1, Florida has 1, Alabama has 1... Granted none of them are primary starters but they are on the team. I only looked at 6 rosters, the ones listed and UCLA and Arizona were without a pitcher listed at 5'7" and shorter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01