Latest Video of DD Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Ok, haven't posted a video in a while. This a video of dd pitching from this past Sunday. This is the first batter she faced Sun morning.
We are a month out from lessons and it has already been a grueling summer. Sometimes she can be brilliant and other times she seems uninspired but still pitches well.
We have worked on the leaping, but it is still an issue( but nowhere near what it was a month ago. She was rocking forward and pausing to turn her drive foot sideways. Naturally this caused a pause in the arm circle, throwing her timing off and causing accuracy to suffer. It is a work in progress. Now she is turning her foot a lil when she rocks back on her heel, but atleast she isn't pausing. Accuracy has gone back up.
Like Boardmember said in his IR post she does miss just inside some. She hits about 2-3(sometimes less) batters a game. Around here it seems a strategy for coaches to have their girls crowd the plate and take the hit. Saw one coach practicing this this weekend, and one girl turn to bunt and was so close to plate her foot was on top of it when she bunted.
She doesn't really explode off the mound like I would like. But she still drives off the mound better than most girls I have seen her age.
Not to be one of those dads bragging about how many pitches she throws but she throws 2 and a half. She has a good fastball, around 46mph (in practice, it is a lil slower in games and sometimes can be much slower.)And somewhat accurate. She also throws an off speed pitch that she developed on her own and her pc said it looks like a drop ball. It does spin12-6(hope I'm explaining that right) not 6-12, but doesn't always drop(not enough velocity yet, I think). She is very accurate with this pitch and it is her go to pitch. The half ptich is her change up. A definate work in progress. She has ben trying the backhand/flip, but can be hit or miss with it. Her tb coach doesn't have her throw it.
She walks few but mostly because she gives up a lot of weak hits, which is fine with me.
After whinning at the end of last year about her not getting to pitch she has pitched in around 20 games this season. This weekend she started only our second championship game pitching 3 innings on route to her first ever first place trophy.
I appreciate any feed back, especially tips and drills. Let me know how she is doing.
So for being soooooooo long winded.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VI2jgHgE2HI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Feb 3, 2011
Congratulations to your DD's team on the championship.

I don't know what kind of pitchers you have out there, but 46mph is GREAT speed for a 9yo! Tell her to keep up the great work. In tournament play, there are some coaches (and parents) who'd complain about the crow hop and there are actually some umps who'd call it. Other than that, the only thing I'd change is to encourage her to switch to an infielder's glove.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Congratulations to your DD's team on the championship.

I don't know what kind of pitchers you have out there, but 46mph is GREAT speed for a 9yo! Tell her to keep up the great work. In tournament play, there are some coaches (and parents) who'd complain about the crow hop and there are actually some umps who'd call it. Other than that, the only thing I'd change is to encourage her to switch to an infielder's glove.

See this complaint all the time...so once and for all...at WHAT age do we actually enforce the pitching rules?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
See this complaint all the time...so once and for all...at WHAT age do we actually enforce the pitching rules?

They have been calling it in 10U-B travel and above in South Florida this season after the new year. They have been fairly consistent in calling it early in games and will continue to call it if the game remains close.

Rec they talk about it in 10U then start enforcing in 12U.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'd be checking the birth certificate of that SS, girl is big!! :)

That's one of those 10u girls I complain to the ump, " I just saw her driving to the tourney ".

I would work hard this fall on the crow hop, it is pretty obvious. As far as what age they enforce rules the answer is it just depends on umpires (and to some extent what TD has instructed them) but you can't get to lets say a big tournament have the umps start calling it and then act all surprised. You know what she is doing and you know it needs to be corrected so now is the time to start. Overall though keep up the good work.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've watched the video a few times. No way that SS is 10u, look at her coolness on the field she is smooth. Compare her to the LF who is typical fidgety at that age. She stands out like a sore thumb, been in this game too long, you gotta tell me what the deal is. Either she is a stud 10u or something is up.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I've watched the video a few times. No way that SS is 10u, look at her coolness on the field she is smooth. Compare her to the LF who is typical fidgety at that age. She stands out like a sore thumb, been in this game too long, you gotta tell me what the deal is. Either she is a stud 10u or something is up.

Funny you should mention her. After we won the tourney the opposing coach complained and they checked her birth certificate. She is definately a stud! Two weekends ago she smashed one off the centerfield fence. 204 feet, and 2 feet up the fence. You should see her run, like watching a horse run with long smooth strides. Any ball hit gets passed the outfielder and she scores. Every time. I've seen her almost run over a girl headed home who was on second. She pitches too. Been kinda wild but man she brings the heat.
Unfortunately confidence is an issue with her(go figure). Every one puts too much pressure on her. If she misses a few hits some of our parents are asking her what is wrong. I fear this girl won't be playing in a few years and a great shame it will be.
And yes, the leaping is our big work over the fall. Am I wrong, but is there a difference between leaping an crow hopping? She pushes off from the mound, in fact I teach all girls to put the rubber in the middle of their foot where their toes can push off the rubber. I see alot of girls push off with their toes a few inches in front of the rubber. I think this promotes crowhopping and a weaker push since you don't have the rubber to puch off of.

Jan 27, 2010
Your DD is not crow hopping but is airborne as she leaves the rubber which falls under leaping, which is illegal. Crow hopping is a second push with the pivot foot after the first push off the rubber. As discussed many times on this forum, there is no mound in fastpitch softball. There is a circle and a pitcher's plate(rubber).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles