Sexist image?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Noones criticising girls like your daughter. If that's how she is then awesome!

It's the recent 'softballers must be princesses off the diamond' as if it applies to all girls.

Dec 2, 2012
They don't.

But Lozzo did not criticize ''that particular girl.'' More power to that particular girl.

What she criticized was the message in the image and the caption: ''Every girl has two sides.''

The ''two sides'' are represented by high heels and cleats. If the caption had said ''Every girl has many sides,'' then we might see the heels and cleats as representing two of the many sides that a girl might have. I might not take issue to that.

But to say 'every girl has two sides,' and then use cleats and high heels to demonstrate those sides? I think a lot of people would take issue with that representation of what girls are about.

Sorry, I don't get it. My DD pays no attention to pictures and captions like the one in question. No one is going to dictate who she should be or what she is. She like every other young woman on her team, is a talented and unique person who value their similarities, and their differences.

No one has the right to not be offended, and I seriously doubt the author of that caption spent more than one second thinking about how many people would be wringing their hands over his/her attempt to show the amazing capabilities and complexity of today's young women.

I repeat....I don't understand all the hand wringing....over a picture and a few words.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sorry, I don't get it. My DD pays no attention to pictures and captions like the one in question.

No one image is going to be very significant.

But, are you saying that your DD is not affected in any real way by all the images and messages that she gets from social media and TV, etc.? That this has little effect on her, or people in general?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
No one image is going to be very significant.

But, are you saying that your DD is not affected in any real way by all the images and messages that she gets from social media and TV, etc.? That this has little effect on her, or people in general?
I guess I'm struggling with why you think it is wrong. Why can't a girl be strong and feminine? I am supposed to be tough and gentle. So, with my enemies, I am a formidable foe. With my child, I am a pushover. I expected for my child to be a hard charger when between the lines. I expected her to love herself including being a girl when not on the field of competition. Is that sexist of me? SHE wanted to have senior pictures in her finest dress and with her ball bat. When she went to Prom, SHE wanted a picture in her Prom Dress with her ball glove and bat. IMO, that makes her a strong woman because she can be exactly what she wants to be and not what anyone wants her to be. I taught her how to stand toe to toe with anyone and slug it out. I taught her to take care of little puppies, fillies and colts. She is so gentle around little children. She can throw around some serious weight in the weight room.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Why can't a girl be strong and feminine?

She can. Kids who can have fun in both cleats and high heels are cool, IMO.

I am supposed to be tough and gentle. So, with my enemies, I am a formidable foe. With my child, I am a pushover.

I like who you are.

I expected for my child to be a hard charger when between the lines. I expected her to love herself including being a girl when not on the field of competition. Is that sexist of me?

What does it mean to be a girl when not on the field of competition? And what is she when she's on the field? And how is that different from a gender perspective? I think that it can be sexist when we demand that our children act or feel a certain way because of their gender. ''You're a girl, you should be comfortable in a dress.'' That's sexist, IMO.

SHE wanted to have senior pictures in her finest dress and with her ball bat. When she went to Prom, SHE wanted a picture in her Prom Dress with her ball glove and bat. IMO, that makes her a strong woman because she can be exactly what she wants to be and not what anyone wants her to be. I taught her how to stand toe to toe with anyone and slug it out. I taught her to take care of little puppies, fillies and colts. She is so gentle around little children. She can throw around some serious weight in the weight room.

Great kid. My DD also posed in her school formal dress last year with a bat.

The problem that I had, again, is the photo and the caption in combination. I believed the message in that particular photo-and-caption to be, 'Don't worry, she's has a very feminine side. All girls do.'

Not everyone sees the message that way. I get that. But I would note that four posters on this thread have agreed, two of which were women. That doesn't prove that their (our) perception of the message is correct, but I do think it is strong evidence that many people are react in a similar way, including kids who could be affected by repeated messages like that.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Now I am not offended by the picture...I relate to it. My DD struggles with maintaining the upkeep of her "girly girly" side. Why? Well...softball impedes on the whole girly girl image because of the softball tans, dirt rashes/calluses...and forget about nails. We go shopping...she eyes some clothes with love/hate look in her eyes. Why? Because she is built like a typical SB player (or athlete) - bulky shoulders, tan lines on arms/glove hand, dirt rash on legs/knees/arms/elbows. She works around this...with stylishly soft shirts/blouses, adorns with nice fashion jewelry, etc. The heels...she still gets for special occasions...no matter the pain involved in wearing them...because how does that pain compare to the battle wounds on the field? She's determined to show off those legs that she worked so hard for!! LOL! Add to this, she is a eye shadow fiend...she loves makeup.

Sorry...off on tangent here...my point is...yes, there is more than one side to a softball player...and I kind of agree with Coogan in one respect...there is more than 2 sides. If appropriately shown, my dd would be the nerd/beauty/athlete/bookworm/big sister/babysitter/etc...she has multi-sides. But the picture? Not offended...I think it is just showing that that the softball player is more than that. I think it's just a simple statement...not meant to be taken beyond that. I guess offense would be taken by those who abhor heels. :)

Mar 13, 2010
I don't think people are getting what those of us who find it sexist are trying to say.

There is NOTHING wrong with girls and women who play softball but off the field dress up, wear makeup and do something that is traditionally feminine. Heck I'm one of them. I play softball in foundation and mascara. Outside the diamond I'm pretty much always wearing dresses.

But the constant message that girls get is that's how they're supposed to be. That they have to be hard as nails on the diamond and soft and 'girly' off it. And the girls who AREN'T that are made to feel bad constantly with these messages.

And part of the reason it's so emphasized is because women and girls who play softball have been made to feel bad for their toughness on the field. To be made to feel bad for being butch. For not fitting into the perfect little box society has for girls. Thear messages don't exisit in a vacuum.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1