Sexist image?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
My opinions on these type things are often in the minority here, but in the name of broaching a good topic, here goes ...

I find images like this one below to be annoying.

What is the message here? Is it intended to comfort those who are afraid that someone who competes hard in a rough sport isn't feminine?

I see a similar message in team photos where the players put on dresses and take pictures w/ bats and gloves, as if to say, ''Don't worry, they're still pretty girls!''

To be clear, I have no problem with any individual girl who relates to this image. If that's who she is, that's great.

But what is the point of this particular image and caption?

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on that.

Ca5ecpjUsAINjl2.jpg

Ok so if anyone should be mad or pissed off about anything. Its gotta be the heels . Really ugly shoe if you asked me....

Jan 25, 2011
The poster doesn't bother me at all. My dd wears dresses and goes to dances and plays softball. She also wears camo ,throws knives, axes, shoots her AR, her pistol and archery hunts. But I also as a single dad when dd was little, played dolls, barbies, braided her hair and yes even let her put makeup on me and paint my nails. All of it is what builds character and hopefully an adult the passes to the next generation all the love that she felt when she was growing up.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
The poster doesn't bother me at all. My dd wears dresses and goes to dances and plays softball. She also wears camo ,throws knives, axes, shoots her AR, her pistol and archery hunts. But I also as a single dad when dd was little, played dolls, barbies, braided her hair and yes even let her put makeup on me and paint my nails. All of it is what builds character and hopefully an adult the passes to the next generation all the love that she felt when she was growing up.

DD likes the ARs but she favors the RPK For some reason. She is a good shot.
She has also entered the JR Miss county pagent for the county fair this year. DD Is really digging the dresses sashes and photographers. It should be fun to watch.

Mar 13, 2010
Haha.

Yes I think it's sexist. It forces these girls into a gender binary. 'Hey we play softball but don't worry boys we also conform to how girls 'should' act!'

I don't like these types of images because it insists that girls must all be a certain way. They must be willing to doll up, they must be ultra glam, they must be REAL girls.

Forcing men or women into a tight little box is wrong. Insisting that girls or women who don't dress up don't have any girl in them is wrong. I don't understand why gender is so much more rigidly enforced now. In the 90s when I was growing up girls were more allowed to be who they wanted without being forced into a certain way.

And boys get the short end of the stick on this issue too. Insisting that boys MUST be dirt playing, grubby little hellions doesn't do them any favors. We box our kids into these tight ideas of how boys and girls should be and its crap. EVERYTHING for kids is gendered now and it doesn't help them.

Dec 2, 2012
Haha.

Yes I think it's sexist. It forces these girls into a gender binary. 'Hey we play softball but don't worry boys we also conform to how girls 'should' act!'

I don't like these types of images because it insists that girls must all be a certain way. They must be willing to doll up, they must be ultra glam, they must be REAL girls.

Forcing men or women into a tight little box is wrong. Insisting that girls or women who don't dress up don't have any girl in them is wrong. I don't understand why gender is so much more rigidly enforced now. In the 90s when I was growing up girls were more allowed to be who they wanted without being forced into a certain way.

And boys get the short end of the stick on this issue too. Insisting that boys MUST be dirt playing, grubby little hellions doesn't do them any favors. We box our kids into these tight ideas of how boys and girls should be and its crap. EVERYTHING for kids is gendered now and it doesn't help them.

With all due respect, the lines between genders have never been more blurred with all the PC nonsense that is currently part of pop culture. Lozza, I have no desire to discuss politics in this environment, but your assertions in your post are way out of line, and simply not consistent with the world I live in.... By the way, why would anyone be offended by the picture. That particular girl likes heals and softball spikes... why do her choices impact anyone else?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
That particular girl likes heals and softball spikes... why do her choices impact anyone else?

They don't.

But Lozzo did not criticize ''that particular girl.'' More power to that particular girl.

What she criticized was the message in the image and the caption: ''Every girl has two sides.''

The ''two sides'' are represented by high heels and cleats. If the caption had said ''Every girl has many sides,'' then we might see the heels and cleats as representing two of the many sides that a girl might have. I might not take issue to that.

But to say 'every girl has two sides,' and then use cleats and high heels to demonstrate those sides? I think a lot of people would take issue with that representation of what girls are about.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Coogan got it exactly. It's the idea that girls have to fit into a box.

And gender is much more tightly policied nowadays. The boy/girl dichotomy is enforced in babies. BABIES! And while we don't want to get too political I'm actually with you on the current nonsense. I have a massive issue with the idea of gender fluidity. It enforces the gender binary. Because often the people who claim it will state 'I want to do masculine thing so today I feel like a boy. Tomorrow I might want to do feminine thing so I'll feel like a girl' Forcing items into masculine and feminine punishes those who don't fit into those very tightly controlled boxes.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know how to respond to threads like this. My dd used to dress like she felt that day. So, if she wanted to look all muscled up, she wore a Tee shirt and rolled the sleeves up. If she wanted to wear a dress or ... she did so. No one is forced into anything. When she had her senior pictures taken, she wanted one in her uniform, one in her dress with a her bat "Flecia," and one in her letterman's jacket at a farm with horses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan