Sexist image?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I don't love it either, CB. It's actually true of my softball player. She loves the prom/softball hybrid pics and says she wants to take some like that in a fancy dress. My older daughter though has zero girly in her. She wouldn't be caught dead in that shoe, ever.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Every Girl may have more than one side, but that doesn't mean they all like to dress up. Those that don't (like to dress up), or were not blessed with Barbie-like proportions (or a size that's considered "appropriate" for girls) may find solace in the softball side where they can have fun, be comfortable and looks don't matter.

Its as if the softball side is just a temporary distraction- "don't worry, she's a real girl". I guess the reason it bothers me is that it implies the other side is "more beautiful" and P.C. or not, women who are better looking are definitely given preferential treatment. (My DD's will not get to experience this) Just ask a woman. Men used to tweet mean things about Lauren Haeger whenever she went in to relieve Hannah Rogers. I see the same prejudice applied in the workplace.

That being said, PC that's a cool picture of your DD and I am all for celebrating (and encouraging) the different interests of kids! Unlike the feet photo, I like the way you have a glamour shot with the cleats and socks on, it tells a better story.
I also like the NCAA commercial that shows people of various professions playing sports because most college athletes do something else after graduation. but the sport is always a part of who they are.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thx..... I wasn't thinking anything about this part of the issue... because Team Mom's made it standard thing to do... & DW would invest in the props. The issue I see , is... Should she be in that bar. :cool:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thx Momo'sDad... Got it off a Coach Lisle site... :cool:

I think they are OK.... Here is one I made DD today... She had team pic made to mimic JF's pitching in an evening gown in 10U... :cool:

9803d1455162025-sexist-image-pbp_3.jpg

I think this pic is great. Love the idea. I'm going to hope DD wants to sit for a pic of this for her mom and dad. If Laura does I believe it will become my fav pic.
Thanks again PC.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
If Laura does I believe it will become my fav pic.
Thanks again PC.

RD... the pick of DD is image I made. I got this pic (of her) first day back to school 8th grade, that's a book bag, not a bat backpack...in spring, she has to bring both...thus the pic (Softball Prisons) she gets fenced in, and Daddy can't visit practice... I've put her in all kinds of backgrounds.

Here is same pic with different background..... I got the softball/dress cut-out... and can drop anybody in it... and put in any background ....

PBP_4.JPG

I would be glad to make YOU one... because of all the countless .gifs you have made for so many people... everyone else $10

Actually I'm workin on fixing her teams Logo... I don't like it.

Now to the OP's Point.... There is modeling opportunities for players... I'm wanting her to be the RingorSinger, 2Legit Girl & or Sklz Girl...DD has a big Gig in March... "'The Goodbye~Hello" event in Indiana... Coaches will get a signed Pic w/ her.... but have to sign a print only waiver... LOL :cool:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I assume that PC's photo is a girl expressing who she sees herself to be, the different parts of herself. Or maybe it's just art. But in either case, I like that.

That's different than an image intended to speak for a whole team or the sport as a whole. Or an image that is orchestrated by parents or coaches to express how they believe their players or children ought to be, or an image whose message (as obbay put it) is ''Don't worry, she's a real girl.''

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I assume that PC's photo is a girl expressing who she sees herself to be, the different parts of herself. Or maybe it's just art. But in either case, I like that.

That's different than an image intended to speak for a whole team or the sport as a whole. Or an image that is orchestrated by parents or coaches to express how they believe their players or children ought to be, or an image whose message (as obbay put it) is ''Don't worry, she's a real girl.''

Yea.... she is taught that "Yesterday is gone, not enough hours in one day to make any difference... so You are what you see yourself 2B"~PC

I like the 2B... leaves room for Co-Championships, 2nds & B's in school...

I guess it is more of a vivid projection of my hopes of her potential ..... This flurry of Pic's... ect... is just a realization of the milestone of her getting called up to a 16U team last week...a B TB team...:cool:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
I am the father of two teenage DDs. They get dirty on the diamond and they dress up and go out. It is up to them. It is not for me to tell them who to be or, besides homework, what to do. If anything, I encourage them to be themselves regardless of other images, ideals, or ideas. That's where the truth is, I believe.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Had to interfere in her choices couple weeks ago.... when eyeliner got in her eye, and we had to delay pitching.... Told her its like the tieing your shoe thing back long ago... :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA