Seeking feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Looking for any thoughts or opinions on mechanics. I know speed isn't everything, but she's topped out at 58-59 for about 2 years now. Looking to gain some speed.

Thank you.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I like that her arm is like a loose noodle.

The thing that stands out to me is that her leg-drive is a little late making her landing a little late making it hard for her to get fully firmed up before release. I'd focus on getting that leg-drive peppier. Given she drops her hand/ball out of her glove anyway, she'd likely also benefit from incorpating a backswing so that she can get the leg-drive going earlier and peppier relative to the initial forward with her arm. Get her to sprint away from her arm while her arm is in a backswing. Throw with that loose-noodle arm against a firmer front side, but gotta get there early enough to do so.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Thank you Doug. What do you think is causing her heel plant to be late? Just a sequencing issue? As far as the lack of backswing goes, she does this to 'hide' the ball as much as possible. Does hiding the ball really make a difference?

What do you think about her wrist coming out of the glove? She's been told that she 'locks it out' causing her arm to be less loose.

Thanks again, Doug.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
As far as the lack of backswing goes, she does this to 'hide' the ball as much as possible. Does hiding the ball really make a difference?

I’d have take her hand and glove farther back to increase the overlap. Let the ball and hand continue back and have the glove “hide” the ball, ala Hillhouse.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Thank you Doug. What do you think is causing her heel plant to be late? Just a sequencing issue? As far as the lack of backswing goes, she does this to 'hide' the ball as much as possible. Does hiding the ball really make a difference?

What do you think about her wrist coming out of the glove? She's been told that she 'locks it out' causing her arm to be less loose.

Thanks again, Doug.

I edited this to now say "...her leg-drive is a little late making her landing a little late making it hard for her to get fully firmed up before release." Hopefully, this changes what you get out of my original response.

As I watched the clip, I thought, "This pitcher could be a bit more explosive with her leg-drive." and "She's a little late with her leg-drive."

Her nice loose arm lends itself to being able to have a loose backswing. Why the backswing? To get her arm to arrive a tad later, which would even speed her arm up. Get the initial feeling of sprinting toward home going before the arm starts forward.

Also, she gets up plenty with her drive. It just seems she should be flying a bit more toward home. Optimally, I think there should be forward momentum in that landing foot as it strikes the ground. Your pitcher's foot sort of soft lands straight down. Thus the suggestion for her to be more explosive during the initiation and thrust part of her leg-drive.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
I edited this to now say "...her leg-drive is a little late making her landing a little late making it hard for her to get fully firmed up before release." Hopefully, this changes what you get out of my original response.

As I watched the clip, I thought, "This pitcher could be a bit more explosive with her leg-drive." and "She's a little late with her leg-drive."

Her nice loose arm lends itself to being able to have a loose backswing. Why the backswing? To get her arm to arrive a tad later, which would even speed her arm up. Get the initial feeling of sprinting toward home going before the arm starts forward.

Also, she gets up plenty with her drive. It just seems she should be flying a bit more toward home. Optimally, I think there should be forward momentum in that landing foot as it strikes the ground. Your pitcher's foot sort of soft lands straight down. Thus the suggestion for her to be more explosive during the initiation and thrust part of her leg-drive.

Agree with Doug. For what it’s worth one thing we have used to help explain this is instead of taking the ball to her body on the backswing take her body to the ball. Just the mindset of getting the drive started as early as possible seems to help be more explosive. Didn’t know if thinking of it that way may help also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32