Increasing velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
So ridiculous….
If you post stuff publicly you need to take the good with the "bad" as long as the bad is constructive. Kids (or in this case a kid's mother) only want to hear the praise. That said I should have known this and just kept my mouth shut but as is evident on here I am not very good at that..

Jun 8, 2016
#skocougs Our HS is also the Cougars...really miss those hoops games. We had some great seasons!!
That is her 7th grade team. They don't let 7th graders play 8th grade.. :rolleyes: .If the 7th grade team played the 8th grade team they would win by 30..

I told my DW she should wear a "I am a Cougar" t-shirt to the games..luckily I was still allowed to sleep in my own bed after that...Her future HS team is the Tigers.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My DD's are both just shy of 5'6" with the Pitcher DD being about 135 and the Catcher DD around 145. Both are what we used to describe as "Farm" strong, always had them helping with outside chores like splitting, hauling and stacking wood, shoveling manure and raking dirt/rocks, etc.. We have always had weights (dumbells, bars, bench), C2 Rower, Treadmill, bike, inversion table, etc.. Since they've been in college both been have spent a lot more time in the weight room (with a trainer usually). I can't say that weight training has had a measurable impact on pitch velo because we've always done so much other stuff?

*by "other stuff" for pitching I mean sprints (wall sprints and 20yd bursts), long toss, lunges, the old weight on a rope attached to a dowel exercise, pull ups, planks, TRX stuff, box jumps and other plyo moves, etc.. Recently I've become a bigger fan of deadhangs both for the grip strength aspect as well as the stretching benefit. It helps keep them long and lanky which translates to staying loose and whippy which hopefully translates to increased velo.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
That is her 7th grade team. They don't let 7th graders play 8th grade.. :rolleyes: .If the 7th grade team played the 8th grade team they would win by 30..

I told my DW she should wear a "I am a Cougar" t-shirt to the games..luckily I was still allowed to sleep in my own bed after that...Her future HS team is the Tigers.
Haha, we have quite a few mountain lions around our property and even more Cougars at some of the bars in town. My wife was a Panther in HS and then a Catamount in college (UVM). It's a running joke around here when we support our HS team and wear the Cougars gear.

ps. It's almost painful to watch my girls College hoops team, pretty sure our old HS team would crush them. I miss watching both DD's bring the energy to the court and it was always fun to watch them use their softball throwing/catching skills in the game. Quite a few girls were unprepared for those hard passes!

Jun 8, 2016
ps. It's almost painful to watch my girls College hoops team, pretty sure our old HS team would crush them. I miss watching both DD's bring the energy to the court and it was always fun to watch them use their softball throwing/catching skills in the game. Quite a few girls were unprepared for those hard passes!
DD's future HS bball team is usually pretty good..which cannot be said for her future HS softball team. The head girls bball coach is our neighbor and his DD is ranked in the top 20 in the country for HS sophomores. She will be a Sr when DD is a freshman.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The one instructor said she was losing speed because her arm wasn’t bent enough. My DD pushed back on the comment that she was losing speed. Then she told our coach my DD would blow her arm out in 2 years because of her release and arm angle.
There's a lot to like in her delivery. Physically she has a lot in her favor when it comes to frame, limbs, athleticism. I wouldn't tell her she is losing speed, but I would say there is more to be gained. The two things that stand out to me are the previously mentioned falling off to the left (align the spine/torso center mass more above the drive leg during push off), and keeping the upper and lower torso connected to take advantage of front side resistance (don't bend at the waist).

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The one instructor said she was losing speed because her arm wasn’t bent enough. My DD pushed back on the comment that she was losing speed. Then she told our coach my DD would blow her arm out in 2 years because of her release and arm angle.
I also can't get that Damn Yankees tune "Rock City" out of my head, except I'm subbing in your username for the lyrics.
That's ok though, it's a great tune.

Jan 28, 2017
First time for everything, My 12 year old DD at 106lbs. Has hit 59mph. Pretty consistent hitting 57mph. Some coaches hate her mechanics, though. One big-name instructor at a clinic told her she was losing a lot of speed with her mechanics

I like a lot of what she does. I would work on not over rotating the shoulders and try to get her upper arm to decelerate on her rib cage, drive straighter, and maybe stay back a tad (hard to tell but appears a little forward). Not sure it will increase her speed at all but I believe it is safer. As a great coach told me- don't mess her up.

Jan 25, 2022
Yeah she is #3..she might be 120 by this point ;)

View attachment 27312

No reason for a kid to know what they weigh. Eat healthy foods (3/4 of the time..unlike our old asses a cheat once a day isn't going to kill them) when you are hungry, get enough sleep and exercise. When they get to HS get in a gym and lift with the intent of making progress in the 6 to 10 rep range while keeping your form perfect. Obviously routine (exercise selection,frequency,volume, etc) needs to thought about. Before HS they can do something like the Wasserman Youngblood Strength program. DD has been doing that for the last 8 or 9 months.

I got reemed on twitter by a Mom of a kid in DD's org because I responded to a tweet of her squatting that she need to stop chasing squat numbers and focus on her form more. Contacted org head and everything.. :rolleyes:
Practically ready for the super heavyweight division..lol

I told mine 3 sets of 8 reps not including warmups and move up 5lbs per session and don't go up until she gets 3 sets of 8. Showed her a thorough rotator cuff warmup she does every session as well. We keep it pretty simple.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2