Increasing velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
My DD is 14U and cruises 57-60 for most pitches. She stopped growing about 2 years ago but we were pleasantly surprised that she continued to add speed (3mph/year) through mechanical tweaks like better FSR, harder push, etc. I suspect it will get harder now so we've started weight training and continue to work mechanics. What lifts do you all do the most? We've been doing a lot of quad/glute and stabilization exercise (glute band work, one legged squats, split squats, scapula involved shoulder work, lats, rows, not too low push ups, medicine ball throws, core work, etc). Separately, what's a good/great deadlift weight for a HS softball player? She's been at it 6 months and I've been pretty surprised at the weights she is deadlifting.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
First time for everything, My 12 year old DD at 106lbs. Has hit 59mph. Pretty consistent hitting 57mph. Some coaches hate her mechanics, though. One big-name instructor at a clinic told her she was losing a lot of speed with her mechanics

Did they say what it was about her mechanics they didn't like? She does seem to fall off to her left on delivery, but I'm not a PC, so that is just my opinion.

Jan 1, 2023
Did they say what it was about her mechanics they didn't like? She does seem to fall off to her left on delivery, but I'm not a PC, so that is just my opinion.
The one instructor said she was losing speed because her arm wasn’t bent enough. My DD pushed back on the comment that she was losing speed. Then she told our coach my DD would blow her arm out in 2 years because of her release and arm angle.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The one instructor said she was losing speed because her arm wasn’t bent enough. My DD pushed back on the comment that she was losing speed. Then she told our coach my DD would blow her arm out in 2 years because of her release and arm angle.
I slowed the video down to 25% on YouTube, and it looks like her arm comes around rather than a pure circle. Will that cause an injury? I'm not sure, but I would check out with some of the other pitching instructors on here. Also, check out some of Amanda Scarborough's videos on YouTube for comparison. She has some great instructional videos with great, clean mechanics.

Jan 1, 2023
I slowed the video down to 25% on YouTube, and it looks like her arm comes around rather than a pure circle. Will that cause an injury? I'm not sure, but I would check out with some of the other pitching instructors on here. Also, check out some of Amanda Scarborough's videos on YouTube for comparison. She has some great instructional videos with great, clean mechanics.
I talked to someone on here. He thought she could become more efficient and improving the drag leg could help, but didn’t see a big injury risk. Her own PC didn’t agree with the instructor. She’s bringing in a body movement expert from the west coast for her students next month, so he’ll look at her.

I’ve talked to a physical therapist previously about her follow through. He said if it’s never bothered her, he doesn’t see a big injury risk.

I know a doctor who is going to show video to a big time orthopedic doc. He noted there is always injury risk from repetition, but thought saying something like that was absurd.

Oct 31, 2021
First time for everything, My 12 year old DD at 106lbs. Has hit 59mph. Pretty consistent hitting 57mph. Some coaches hate her mechanics, though. One big-name instructor at a clinic told her she was losing a lot of speed with her mechanics

Good for her! I guess there are exceptions to every rule. Those speeds at just over 100 lbs is impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 31, 2021
Separately, what's a good/great deadlift weight for a HS softball player? She's been at it 6 months and I've been pretty surprised at the weights she is deadlifting.

Can’t say I have a great set of info to benchmark. I know of one 2025 pitcher that is 150 and deadlifted 260.

My daughter is really enjoying the lifting. We were talking long term goals (ie 5+ years) getting to 1x body weight bench press, 1.33x squat and 1.67x deadlift. But honestly we focus more on plyo and agility with her training. Then at home more raw strength like bench, squats etc. So far seems like a good mix. She gets stronger at home and her trainer helps her to apply it! But early days are easy. The gym is fun when each week is a PR. But like pitching the hard work is staying the course when the gains slow down.

Does anyone else have targets or examples they can share for what a girl in high school should be with the standard lifts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2022
Does anyone else have targets or examples they can share for what a girl in high school should be with the standard lifts?
Separately, what's a good/great deadlift weight for a HS softball player? She's been at it 6 months and I've been pretty surprised at the weights she is deadlifting.

Kinda impossible to answer without kmowing height/weight/muscle distribution, etc, etc. A person 5'0, 5'5, or 5'10 at 150lbs will have a very different physical makeup. There are lots of factors that go into performance and to say they should shoot for this number or that number wouldn't be accurate.

May 18, 2019
Kinda impossible to answer without kmowing height/weight/muscle distribution, etc, etc. A person 5'0, 5'5, or 5'10 at 150lbs will have a very different physical makeup. There are lots of factors that go into performance and to say they should shoot for this number or that number wouldn't be accurate.
Fair point. I think in statistics so was more wondering what the upper decile or quintile looks like. My 14 year old recently did 225 3x in a hex deadlift 6 months in which seemed pretty strong to me, though I'm sure not off the charts. She's about 140lbs and we'll say average height.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478