Screwball video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If you got 8-2 spin I would agree. But I am telling you I have never seen 8-2 spin, especially given the mechanics that are being taught to throw this "screwball". I'll bet 98% of girls can't read spins and neither can their fathers. Thats why they put tape on balls to follow spin, when it is clear to me, someone who wears glasses, how a ball spins. I said this before, I was right behind Jenny Finch's catcher while she was warming up with screwballs and the ball did not spin 8-2 or 9-3 or anything that was in the direction that would make the ball "screw". The ball just went inside. Cat Osterman doesn't throw one, Monica Abbott doesn't throw one and I really don't believe Angela Tincher throws one, but since her father teaches it maybe it exists somewhere. It can be thrown but not the way it is being taught.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Well OK then. I understand your position - not saying I agree- cause if I did - it meant I have been wasting alot of time with my DD to try to do something that can't be done.

However, here is a video on youtube- I do not know this pitcher at all- but she gets some movement on her screwball and stays pretty centered. Can't see the spin on the ball though to verify.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zPr9mzPo8&feature=fvsr

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
Around here if your DD throws a pitch someone will be sure to tell you she doesn't. Just read between the lines and you'll be fine.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
This girl does not get movement on the ball. The ball is going left to right on occasion. By the way her control is atrocious. No two pitches look the same. Ok so some guy on a bucket may have a little difficulty catching her, mainly because he doesn't know where it is going. The way she is releasing the ball, the ball will have spin that is 3-9 or some variation on that, which is the opposite of what you are trying to obtain (look at the follow through it is easy to see). I believe that people who have never pitched fastpitch get easily duped into believing the ball is spinning and moving in ways that it doesn't.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ok, I think I see where the problem is. You'll have to forgive me as some of your posts I can't tell if you are referring to a LHP or RHP. I'm also gonna have to switch gears between my BB terms/spin to fastpitch and then to LHP like DD.

I'd say from years of catching DD her screw turns the tune of 10-4 if we are counting from top spin ( o'clock ). Her pointer finger is the last push on the seams to rev up the rotation. Some PC's confuse me and might say it is spinning 4-10 because of the underhand throw. Making sure we are all the same page, from LHP view, the ball is spinning between <----- and ^ ( of coarse I can't angle the arrow to 10-4 ) It has upper middle top spin.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a flat plane screw move with a straight <-------- spin only. That's why I adapted the BB top spin into DD screw. It creates a higher pressure zone on top of the ball, which deflects the ball downward. And the side spin to "pull" the ball horizontally. Instead of counteracting gravity, her screw adds additional downward force, plus the side spin to exaggerate the flight path down and out. ( LHP view ) Some coaches call it a screw-drop.

What confuses me is her fast screwball. The one I spoke of earlier that comes 2-3 mph faster than her FB, it will tail to the outside and up of a RHB. Now how the heck does that happen? The ball has top spin, it shouldn't climb ( or stay flat longer ), that would require back spin.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Ok, I think I see where the problem is. You'll have to forgive me as some of your posts I can't tell if you are referring to a LHP or RHP. I'm also gonna have to switch gears between my BB terms/spin to fastpitch and then to LHP like DD.

I'd say from years of catching DD her screw turns the tune of 10-4 if we are counting from top spin ( o'clock ). Her pointer finger is the last push on the seams to rev up the rotation. Some PC's confuse me and might say it is spinning 4-10 because of the underhand throw. Making sure we are all the same page, from LHP view, the ball is spinning between <----- and ^ ( of coarse I can't angle the arrow to 10-4 ) It has upper middle top spin.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a flat plane screw move with a straight <-------- spin only. That's why I adapted the BB top spin into DD screw. It creates a higher pressure zone on top of the ball, which deflects the ball downward. And the side spin to "pull" the ball vertically. Instead of counteracting gravity, her screw adds additional downward force, plus the side spin to exaggerate the flight path down and out. ( LHP view ) Some coaches call it a screw-drop.

What confuses me is her fast screwball. The one I spoke of earlier that comes 2-3 mph faster than her FB, it will tail to the outside and up of a RHB. Now how the heck does that happen? The ball has top spin, it shouldn't climb ( or stay flat longer ), that would require back spin.

Mike White and Bill Hillhouse have both been on record to describe how they adjust finger pressure to give both their drop balls and their rise balls either inward or outward break, depending on the situation called for. These are still primarily rise balls and peel drop pitches, but with some horizontal movement to mix them up. Sounds similar to what you're saying.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Mike White and Bill Hillhouse have both been on record to describe how they adjust finger pressure to give both their drop balls and their rise balls either inward or outward break, depending on the situation called for. These are still primarily rise balls and peel drop pitches, but with some horizontal movement to mix them up. Sounds similar to what you're saying.

-W

Glad I read your post, I had vertical in my description as I re-read it. Changed now to correct side movement. (Horizontal ) been a long day!! :(

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Screw.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414