10u getting stuck in the middle with video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Her biggest issue right now is getting stuck sideways. Any tips would be helpful on how to correct this.
You mean like All-American Whitney Canion, the best pitcher in the NCAA in 2014?

2nd question. When will we know if she is ready to ask to try pitching? She has a new coach this year and I don't want to look like one of those crazy parents promoting their kid to pitch, but I can also see she really likes it.
When she can "throw strikes" she'll be ready.

Some advice:

First, work on her playing pitch and catch underhanded.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
This video is very helpful. Thanks. Just got Pauly's beginner course to start working through.
That course (and the intermediate course) will really get you on the right track! Good choice. At a minimum you will be equipped with the knowledge to determine if what a pitching coach is instructing passes the smell test.

Jun 14, 2019
You mean like All-American Whitney Canion, the best pitcher in the NCAA in 2014?

When she can "throw strikes" she'll be ready.

Some advice:

First, work on her playing pitch and catch underhanded.

Okay...I'm convinced sideways pitching isn't bad. She is also a lefty like my daughter, so that helps me see it more as well.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Okay...I'm convinced sideways pitching isn't bad. She is also a lefty like my daughter, so that helps me see it more as well.
Work on her arm motion first. Lower body mechanics are important, but the arm motion is 1000X more important.

This thread is excellent at developing the correct arm motion. Do the drills and she'll be fine:

Oct 4, 2018
1. Read everything here
2. Get a pitching coach
3. Have fun and keep it fun for her

As far as when to pitch her first game? Tough to say, but I'd put it like this: When the opportunity presents itself, be ready to jump at it.

That first time will be scary. And crazy. I think when my 9 year old DD got her first chance she threw about 25 balls and maybe 3 strikes. But she was grinning from ear to ear. Here we are 3 years later and she's a really good little pitcher.

Perhaps a scrimmage is the best time to try it. Or let her pitch to other girls on the team at practice. But 10U C is all about development, and the coach should be quite welcome to letting her pitch.

Feb 25, 2020
You don't need to work on drive mechanics yet. Just make sure upper mechanics are solid. Look at Cat Osterman at 14. Staying straight and using brush interference, pulling down on the ball around the backside of circle. As someone else mentioned, do yourself a solid by reading all the pitching stickies for IR in the classroom, and BI. These will get you farther ahead than most.

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/cat-osterman-at-14yoa.41239/#post-615901

I was thinking about this video today for this thread! Haha. Very nice. This is what every beginner pitcher should aspire to look like. Great arm action. Simple little drive and great stride leg action(stride leg= posture IMO). Watch Manley and watch 14 y/o Cat, same snap down with the stride leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45