10u getting stuck in the middle with video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
Hello. My 9yr old plays for a C level 10u team as catcher and left field. She has decided to try pitching. We have been practicing a little bit since August and have been more consistent with practicing the last few weeks. Her biggest issue right now is getting stuck sideways. Any tips would be helpful on how to correct this. Just telling her to drag her foot isn't working. I posted a link to a some video I took today. There are a ton of pitches in it so sorry about that. Thanks.

2nd question. When will we know if she is ready to ask to try pitching? She has a new coach this year and I don't want to look like one of those crazy parents promoting their kid to pitch, but I can also see she really likes it. When she is ready, how as a coach would you want to be approached about it. Thanks!

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
I may not have an answer for your 1st question but will share my thoughts. I wonder if you think she is "stuck sideways" because her pitcher teammates "slam the door" with their hips? You won't find many slam the door advocates on this site. Your DD might have an early edge in that her shoulders to hips sequence is on the right track (hips about 30-45 degrees with throwing shoulder just shy of the hip at ball release).
Regarding when to approach coach with interest in pitching...it is 10u so I say now is the time. Let coach know her interest and that she is working on her own time. It will help if she can show coach that she can throw some strikes too...

Enjoy the journey...you came to the right place!

Jun 14, 2019
I may not have an answer for your 1st question but will share my thoughts. I wonder if you think she is "stuck sideways" because her pitcher teammates "slam the door" with their hips? You won't find many slam the door advocates on this site. Your DD might have an early edge in that her shoulders to hips sequence is on the right track (hips about 30-45 degrees with throwing shoulder just shy of the hip at ball release).
Regarding when to approach coach with interest in pitching...it is 10u so I say now is the time. Let coach know her interest and that she is working on her own time. It will help if she can show coach that she can throw some strikes too...

Enjoy the journey...you came to the right place!
Could you explain what slam the door is? Sorry total newbie. My mom who is catching in the video pitched in HS but she said the technique seems a lot different now than 30yrs ago. Thanks.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
You've come to the right place.

First, please read the pinned posts in this forum. This will put you and your daughter well ahead of most coaches and pitchers just knowing the basics and what to look for (and what not to look for). And there is great information to be had...for FREE!

You state your daughter is "getting stuck sideways". Who said that is a bad thing? (Because it isn't.)

I know you may not know where this journey takes you. But, I highly recommend a certified instructor to teach you and your daughter the basics. Not only will she become more effective and (most likely) have more enjoyment being a pitcher, there will also be less chance of injury. If that is too expensive or not possible, you could seek out a local high school pitcher or travel ball pitcher (look for the ones who have success) and ask for tips or a couple of lessons. My daughter (a well regarded high school/travel ball pitcher) has given lessons to beginner pitchers. You don't want to ingrain bad habits from the start, as they are difficult to break. A little quality instruction at the start can go a long way.

Every 10U C player that has practiced some pitching and wants to pitch deserves a chance. Let coach know she is ready to try pitching. There's no gauge as to when she is ready. If she has a desire, she should get a chance. The more she prepares the better off she will be.

Best of luck on your journey.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
Slam the door is an old school term that refers to the hips being fully closed / perpendicular to the power line (a straight line from pitcher to catcher). It's great you have somebody in your corner that recognizes pitching mechanics have evolved in the last 30 years.
Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that your DD seems to be mostly palm up at 9:00...another good sign!

Feb 25, 2020
She is all over the place with her stride leg mechanics! Not unexpected at all.

This guy has really good stride leg mechanics IMO.

His stride leg works like a "goose step march". The effort is not kicking the leg out, but bringing the foot back underneath.

Here he is just warming up.

Even just walking/stepping warming up he really snaps that leg back down/toward his body.

I think if you show her and cue/correct her EVERY SINGLE TIME(even just stepping and throwing) she will look way better in a short amount of time.

Having the stride leg work this way is all posterior chain. Glutes and hammies. It will stand her straight up. The important thing is to have the foot pointed at the catcher. If you turn the foot it goes from glute/ham involvement to adductors which arent as nearly as strong and also dont stand you straight up.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's never a good idea to let a beginner pitcher just start pitching from the mound. They will do whatever it takes to get the ball in the area of the plate and typically this involves mechanics that will have to be changed later if they want to develop. Good basic mechanics are not 'natural' or intuitive and have to be taught. In the 20 or so years that I have been involved in coaching and pitching instruction I have only come across two pitchers that threw naturally with IR. Start with 'lock it in' and go from there.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
You don't need to work on drive mechanics yet. Just make sure upper mechanics are solid. Look at Cat Osterman at 14. Staying straight and using brush interference, pulling down on the ball around the backside of circle. As someone else mentioned, do yourself a solid by reading all the pitching stickies for IR in the classroom, and BI. These will get you farther ahead than most.

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/cat-osterman-at-14yoa.41239/#post-615901

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
also, member's daughter getting Rick Paulied, look how his lower half doesn't move. Had my DD try to pitch with no stride and was getting almost 90% of her top speed. maybe a bit less. But arm, brush and posture (required for BI) are critical.

Jun 14, 2019
also, member's daughter getting Rick Paulied, look how his lower half doesn't move. Had my DD try to pitch with no stride and was getting almost 90% of her top speed. maybe a bit less. But arm, brush and posture (required for BI) are critical.

This video is very helpful. Thanks. Just got Pauly's beginner course to start working through.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom