Favorite mirrorless camera for video and lens recommendation (excluding iphone)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
That's cool. Just curious on why not NDI bridges like Birddog, Mevo Starts and OBS (just a different way to skin the proverbial cat)? I've done some pretty cool stuff with three mevo starts + NDI, OBS and a stream deck. But.... this is for streaming at High School. In club/PGF, the interest (especially from our parents) shifts to clips and higher quality recordings with less emphasis on streaming.
We haven't found the Mevo wifi to be stable enough to depend on. Additionally, the distance of the CF camera is out of range of Mevo (without adding additional hardware). Lastly, you will need a camera with zoom capability. Digital zoom is the biggest weakness of the Mevo Start.

OBS is a great tool. We use it in the studio quite a bit. But running OBS in the field, in my opinion, is clunky compared to the YoloBox.

May 16, 2016
The BEST video for pitching, is from the outfield with a long zoom lens... I use my Cannon 80D on a tripod, with a Tamron 150-600mm zoom lens. I frame the pitcher and catcher. Even if the fence is too tall to shoot over, you can shoot through a chain link fence, and when you zoom in a lot, the fence disappears from the image.

Why is this the best? No getting blocked by catcher/umpire/batters. You can clearly see where the ball is received by the catcher. And it's unique, very few will have this angle, so it stands out to coaches viewing. There is a reason MLB broadcasts are primarily from the outfield camera.

If you don't want to invest in a big zoom lens, (the Tamron 150-600mm is about $1k), you can accomplish the same thing with a mega zoom point and shoot, like a Cannon Powershot 50x zoom.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
This is great info. This is the view you see on Flo or the big college games with the guys on the platforms. Care to share any of your shoots? Feel free to DM me if you don't want to share publicly. Thanks!

ALSO - would a 70-200 work sufficiently? Maybe not quite.

May 16, 2016
This is great info. This is the view you see on Flo or the big college games with the guys on the platforms. Care to share any of your shoots? Feel free to DM me if you don't want to share publicly. Thanks!

ALSO - would a 70-200 work sufficiently? Maybe not quite.

I don't think 200mm is enough zoom for an effective video. On the Tamron lens, I will use about 350 - 400mm of zoom to get a nice frame. Kind of depends on how deep the outfield fence is.

A 400mm lens would probably work. I like the flexibility of the 150-600mm to zoom in more, and get batting shots, or take some pics/video for our catcher.

I will DM you with a sample video.

I bought my wife a Cannon Powershot with a 50x zoom, and it has plenty of zoom to take good video from the outfield. Two pitching DDs, who are almost never at the same tournament/park, so DW and I each needed a camera. The Powershot was like $250ish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles