Favorite mirrorless camera for video and lens recommendation (excluding iphone)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Is anyone using one of the higher end mirrorless cameras (Canon EOS R5, Fujifilm X-T4, Sony Alpha 75 III, Panasonic GH5-6, etc) for 4k 60fps (or 120) video clips? My goal is to capture the highest quality near-behind-the-plate clips of pitching possible. If you are doing this, what lens size/configuration is best? A telephoto lens has too specific subject focus on the pitcher without capturing the full path to the ball with the catcher and umpire.
I already have a gopro, and it does its job, but it's not perfect for this. I want high quality recruitment clips of DDs pitching. If you have some clips/DDs recruitment profile with highlight reels you are willing to share - please do. If you don't want to share publicly, please DM me.
Thanks!

Feb 15, 2017
One question I would have is are the people you going ro send this to have the ability to watch 4k 60fps? You may be shooting at a resolution not needed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
I like a lot of control in my clips with fidelity and speed. This is important when illustrating ball location. I use FCP to edit. I’m guessing some other people also do who work with this kind of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Are you wanting to mount to the fence or handheld/tripod? If mounted to the fence, my issues with the kinds of cameras is that they are not designed for a fence impact. Even without a mirror, there is still some very delicate mechanical equipment that isn't shock rated. We have been playing a lot with Mokose 4K cameras and higher quality CS lenses, and even SLR lenses using a CS adapter. The benefit and downside are sort of the same thing. They don't have automatic zoom or focus, so you have to set them. But that also means the small gears and motors that usually drive them (the things that often break on impact) aren't a risk.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Your point is well taken Josh. I would most likely be hand-holding or tripod mounting behind/through the fence. Checking out the Mokose stuff. Doesn't look like they support 60fps. Have you tried the pitcher to catcher FOV? What set up worked best?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Your point is well taken Josh. I would most likely be hand-holding or tripod mounting behind/through the fence. Checking out the Mokose stuff. Doesn't look like they support 60fps. Have you tried the pitcher to catcher FOV? What set up worked best?
We use the Yolobox Pro for PIP needs. In this setup we used a GoPro HERO 7 and HDMI out to the YB Pro directly. Then used a Hollyland Mars 400s HDMI transmitter/receiver pair to connect to the Mokose and 12-120mm telephoto lens mounted to the fence in the outfield. The outfield setup needs some work on this particular example. And as proof that we don't always just push our stuff for the greed of it, we actually suggest mounting the outfield shot on a tall tripod (that is, if you have someone who can guard it from theft). The higher shot produces a better result and prevents the CF and middle infielders from blocking the shot.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
We use the Yolobox Pro for PIP needs. In this setup we used a GoPro HERO 7 and HDMI out to the YB Pro directly. Then used a Hollyland Mars 400s HDMI transmitter/receiver pair to connect to the Mokose and 12-120mm telephoto lens mounted to the fence in the outfield. The outfield setup needs some work on this particular example. And as proof that we don't always just push our stuff for the greed of it, we actually suggest mounting the outfield shot on a tall tripod (that is, if you have someone who can guard it from theft). The higher shot produces a better result and prevents the CF and middle infielders from blocking the shot.

That's cool. Just curious on why not NDI bridges like Birddog, Mevo Starts and OBS (just a different way to skin the proverbial cat)? I've done some pretty cool stuff with three mevo starts + NDI, OBS and a stream deck. But.... this is for streaming at High School. In club/PGF, the interest (especially from our parents) shifts to clips and higher quality recordings with less emphasis on streaming.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
A R5 would be an awful lot of camera in this situation. I’m a photog and I have a couple of 1DX’s. They would be overkill too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles