scoring help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
BTW: the scoring decision can be changed either during the game or after the game. The word "routine" is very subjective, but in most circumstances you could almost replace it with the word "easily". And, if the pitcher is throwing a no-hitter, then the play has to be "very easy" to score it a base hit. I scored for an MLB team for a little while (internal stats, not official MLB scorer), and you'd be surprised at the things that are marked as base hits.

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
I would have to agree with some and say in the first case if it didnt hit the glove it is a hit.

The second case throws me off a little bit tho. If I would have to go one way or another I would say error.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Whether it's a foul ball is irrelevant. It's whether an out could have been made. If you drop a fly ball or popup in foul territory, it is definitely an error.

Also, a few people have said that they would not charge an error in the example in the original post because it did not hit the player's glove. While that is usually a safe ''guide'' on fly balls, there is nothing in MLB rules that say a ball must hit a fielder's glove to be ruled an error. A routine groundball that goes through an infielders' legs and under the glove is an error. It's harder to think of any example of a fly ball that would be charged as an error without hitting the glove, but just know that there is no rule that says ''didn't hit glove, no error.'' At least not in MLB.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I say why judge them more strict then they do in college. If you watch enough of the WCWS you know that if the ball doesn't hit the glove, its a hit. I don't care how easily the ball should have been caught, if it misses the glove its scored a hit. The other thing to remember about scoring fastpitch vs baseball is the base paths are so much shorter. There are plays, such as a high chop, that even if made flawlessly, the batter is going to be safe. So why call it an error if the play isn't made flawlessly?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
scoring fastpitch vs baseball is the base paths are so much shorter. There are plays, such as a high chop, that even if made flawlessly, the batter is going to be safe.

Obviously you haven't seen my DD run. :)

I say why judge them more strict then they do in college.

I've been told I'm TOO harsh on errors. The girls always joke and say if someone else was keeping stats they would be hitting .600, I always say if your DAD was keeping the book you'd be hitting .900. Poor mistreated lil' softball players. :(

Nov 29, 2009
10u tb fly ball to right center. Cf runs about 60ft to the ball. Over runs by a step and she misses the ball. It never touches the glove. Is this an error or base hit. Next scenario. Batter hits a weak fly ball towards 3rd baseman ball gets about 10ft high and hits the ground in front of charging 3rd baseman. Fielder tries to field on short hop. She doesn't field the ball cleanly doesn't attempt throw batter is safe at 1st. Error or basehit.

Case 1 is a hit. It sucks for the pitcher, but the fielder never touched the ball.

Case 2 is a hit. Errors are given on plays that are made with routine effort. A "charging" 3rd baseman is not routine effort.

Nov 29, 2009
Next scenario. Fly ball to cf. Cf backs off and let's it hit the ground. Error or hit. Next scenario hard linedrive to SS hits off glove goes to OF.

Case 1 is a hit with a piece of the the CF's butt missing.

Case 2 is HTBT. Was the ball right at her or was she moving to try and snag it.

Nov 29, 2009
I replied...."that was not a hit, it was an error", and she responded...."the outfielder never touched the ball, so it was a hit".....now I know how some kids bat over .500! LOL

She was right about it being a hit. Not about being a nice hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi