scoring help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As a coaching staff we understand that statistics don't tell the whole story, but a lot of recruiters use statistics as a first impression. One of our kids who is a legit .300 hitter will seem inferior to a .500 hitter with a 'Paula Abdul' scorer......LOL

You may be accurate and consistent with scoring for your own team, but you have no control over how other teams score - just look at the flowchart and interpretations in this thread. What can you do? But, rest assured, a quick look at live or video'd swings will distinguish a real hitter from a stat book hero.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not to go off topic, but here I go off topic. There are lots of girls with picture perfect swings that have been crafted by hours and hours of practice and coaching, who can't hit their weight. And there are lots of girls with flaws in their swings who hit the ball like crazy. Stats count, because college coaches still don't know how to measure hand eye coordination by just looking at a swing.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not to go off topic, but here I go off topic. There are lots of girls with picture perfect swings that have been crafted by hours and hours of practice and coaching, who can't hit their weight. And there are lots of girls with flaws in their swings who hit the ball like crazy. Stats count, because college coaches still don't know how to measure hand eye coordination by just looking at a swing.

Very true, but as the caliber of pitching increases, there are fewer and fewer that will be successful with good hand-eye coordination alone. If our DDs are going to spend the time and effort to try to improve their swings, why wouldn't we want them to shoot for a picture perfect swing?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Very true, but as the caliber of pitching increases, there are fewer and fewer that will be successful with good hand-eye coordination alone. If our DDs are going to spend the time and effort to try to improve their swings, why wouldn't we want them to shoot for a picture perfect swing?

My point isn't that having a good swing isn't important, just that video of a good swing means little if it the ball isn't getting hit. And stats show if the ball is getting hit.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My point isn't that having a good swing isn't important, just that video of a good swing means little if it the ball isn't getting hit. And stats show if the ball is getting hit.

And my point is that comparing stats across teams, leagues, conferences, regions of potentially varying levels of play can be just as meaningless because of the inconsistencies, biases, generosities, and unique interpretations of those who keep score without regard to a universallyrecognized standard. However, I think we can agree that this is why coaches want to see prospective recruits peform live versus quality competitition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole