scoring help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Next scenario. Fly ball to cf. Cf backs off and let's it hit the ground. Error or hit. Next scenario hard linedrive to SS hits off glove goes to OF.

Fly ball is a hit. Mental error or poor judgment is not a fielding error. ...

Line drive is more subjective, but I'd almost definitely rule that a hit. If the force of the ball took it into the outfield, that means it was not a routine catch. Lack of range or quick reaction time is irrelevant.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Next. Groundball to pitcher. Pitcher chases runner back to 3rd. Batter safe at 1st. Error,fc, or hit

I would score that as a fielders choice. It certainly was not a hit, and if the pitcher was instructed to hold the runner at 3rd, then that is what she did. If there were two outs and she chose to hold the runner at 3rd instead of getting the 3rd out at first, then it is an error in my book.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Score keeping is like judging American Idol, some scorers are Paula Abdul (candy azz), some are Randy Jackson (middle of the road) and some are Simon Cowell (hard azz). Get 10 different people to score a game and I bet you get 8 different results!

Two years ago my DD was playing middle school feeder ball, she hit a routine pop fly to left field. Left fielder took 3 steps in and the ball landed 2 steps behind her. The lady who was keeping the book, who was sitting in front of me, turned around and said "that was a nice hit", I replied...."that was not a hit, it was an error", and she responded...."the outfielder never touched the ball, so it was a hit".....now I know how some kids bat over .500! LOL

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I do not believe that you can officially score an error on a foul ball, but we note them in our scorebook!

MLB rule:
10.12 ERRORS
An error is a statistic charged against a fielder whose action has assisted the team
on offense, as set forth in this Rule 10.12.
(a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:
(2) when such fielder muffs a foul fly to prolong the time at bat of a batter,
whether the batter subsequently reaches first base or is put out;

10.16 EARNED RUNS AND RUNS ALLOWED
(b) No run shall be earned when scored by a runner who reaches first base
(1) on a hit or otherwise after his time at bat is prolonged by a muffed foul fly;

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
All of them are base hits, minus the FC to 3rd base. It does not matter how many outs there are on the last scenario, as the fielder chose to throw to 3rd (not an error). A fly ball that "should have" been caught, but never touches the fielders glove, is not an error. Was the sun in her eyes? Was the ball slicing towards her making the play difficult? You can't know. What you do know is, she overran the ball, never touching it...Base Hit. The play at 3rd on a short hop? That has to be seen to score. Short hops are very difficult. Was the ball hit hard? Was it simply misplayed and booted? Is there such a thing as routine for 10U? I'd say just about anything except a ball between the legs and a ball that hits in a girls glove and then comes out is a base hit in 10U. BTW: "routine" does not stop just between the stripes. Easy foul pop up that is dropped is an error.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
BTW: the scoring decision can be changed either during the game or after the game. The word "routine" is very subjective, but in most circumstances you could almost replace it with the word "easily". And, if the pitcher is throwing a no-hitter, then the play has to be "very easy" to score it a base hit. I scored for an MLB team for a little while (internal stats, not official MLB scorer), and you'd be surprised at the things that are marked as base hits.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball